I Want a Famous Face - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Eauz
I was checking my hotmail, and I found this when I logged out of it...

French version: http://www.radioactif.com/potins.php?n=957

English Version: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2004/03/29/famous_face_is_not_a_pretty_sight/

I don't know much else about this, because I don't watch MTV, but have we become this sick ?
By Todd D.
In a word....yes.

People have become very uncomfortable with the way they look. This is nothing new, but I think that with the advent of, for lack of a better term, "faces on demand", the ability to have any face that you want makes people even more uncomfortable with the faces that they have. It's a very very complicated issue, because I think that plastic surgery is neccesary for people with disfigurements, say a pallat disfigurement or something like that. This is just gratuitious though.
By Anarchocommunist
you know with all of this anti piracy crap going on with the mpaa you would think they would have a very sizable stance against this. "it's one thing to steal our movie stars money, but now your stealing their faces? this has gone too far!" i say we put a stop to this immediatly. this kind of image piracy cannot be tolerated. just think, every one looking like christina or britney. millions of brad pitts. where will it end. i say to you ... where will it end! although i do kind of want adrien brody's nose. i think chicks dig that kind of shit.
By unPerson1
Yes, people are disgustingly sick.

but hey, at least we have our freedoms. :roll:
By enLight
Freedom only works when fitted to a culture that encourages responsibility.
By Comrade Ogilvy
IMO I can see plastic surgery if someone gets in an accident, has a disfigurement from birth or loses a breast(s) from cancer etc. but people must be really fucked up mentally/emotionally if they physically want to look like someone else or are so disgusted with themselves they feel the need to get plastic surgery. I don't like seeing perfectly normal women getting breast implants either, I don't care if they are big or small I like them just the same as long as they are natural.
By Steinitz
Since when did it start to matter to anyone what other people want to do to their own faces? Are these people asking you to do it? Although I would never change my face or approve of anyone changing theirs, I am in no position to say whether or not it is wrong and neither is anyone else. Although the word freedom is becoming very subjective in this country, we do still have the freedom to be stupid (to a degree) if we want to. They're not making you watch the show and they're not making you look at them.
By Repubcracy
Plastic surgery was meant to get rid of scars, blemishes, birthmarks, and other obtrusive parts of your body. I do not think it is right to use it otherwise.

This is from my uncle, a plastic surgeon. (I know he's not famous or anything but its all I could find) We were born with our faces, and I have to say that I feel that there is a certain "sanctity of marri-- I mean body" It doesn't feel right that someone should change their face, esspecially to mimic a famous person.

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]

NOVA SCOTIA (New Scotland, 18th Century) No fu[…]

If people have that impression then they're just […]

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 confli[…]