Australia Plans to Kill 2 Cats Million by 2020 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Australia plans to exterminate 2 million feral cats as a measure to protect their native species that apparently face extinction, due to the predatory nature of cats. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. There’s definitely got to be better ways to resolve this and how does Australia have 2 million feral cats to begin with?

Excerpt:

“Speaking to a national radio station, Gregory Andrews, the country's first threatened-species Commissioner, said Australian Environment Minister Greg Hunt "is declaring war on feral cats, and he's asked me to take charge of that program."

Hunt unveiled the five-year plan at a Melbourne zoo on Thursday, vowing to protect Australia's native mammal and bird populations.”

[Source] [More…]
Australia is environmentally so different from Europe that people from the developed world often get infected with mysterious viruses peculiar to the country. I personally found it difficult to stay healthy in Australia with its tropical climate, while I did not experience any health issues in Britain. The introduction of feral cats and squirrels from the Old World has made the desolate continent more inhabitable for modern people over the last 200 years and the benefits of feral cats' presence in Australia should be carefully considered before exterminating the majority of them thoughtlessly.

Animal rights group PETA, model Brigitte Bardot and singer Morrissey are just a few that have shown opposition towards the program. “We all know that the idiots rule the earth, but this is taking idiocy just too far,” Morrissey said in a statement in September. “The cats, who keep the rodent population under control, will be killed in a ferocious manner, using Compound 10/80, which is a gut-wrenching poison of the most unimaginable and lengthy horror.” Bardot also wrote an open letter, stating that Australia would have the “blood of millions of innocent animals” on its hands. “This animal genocide is inhumane and ridiculous. In addition to being cruel, killing these cats is absolutely useless since the rest of them will keep breeding,” she said.
http://www.franchiseherald.com/articles ... l-cats.htm
ThirdTerm wrote:Australia is environmentally so different from Europe that people from the developed world often get infected with mysterious viruses peculiar to the country. I personally found it difficult to stay healthy in Australia with its tropical climate, while I did not experience any health issues in Britain. The introduction of feral cats and squirrels from the Old World has made the desolate continent more inhabitable for modern people over the last 200 years and the benefits of feral cats' presence in Australia should be carefully considered before exterminating the majority of them thoughtlessly.

Did you mean more habitable?

PETA aren't a serious resource.

Ecology is important, more so than the knee jerk reactions of people who like cats.

Yeah true that the issue should be researched, but it probably has been, and it seems rational if nonnative cats are killing indigenous species to go through with the plan.

Literally the headline of the source. Yes, in pre[…]

Dunno, when I hear him speak, the vibe I get from[…]

Here in Arizona as we slowly approach the next el[…]

@Potemkin wrote: Popular entertainment panders[…]