Is my country completely rotten? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I was just thinking about it after I read an interesting article in the Brazilian weekly magazine "Isto É". Our beloved ex-president, Fernando Henrique Cardoso, was invited to a meeting of businessmen. It was a huge meeting, involving the most important members of Brazilian elite, in a luxury resort in the Northeast coast. Mr. Cardoso gave a lecture about "ethics and efficiency in the public sector". Well, this lecture was sponsored by HSBC, a foreign bank that bought Brazilian banks who were bankrupt during Mr. Cardoso´s government. The government borrowed money to HSBC, which was then used to buy the banks (?). Mr. Cardoso received US$50,000 for the lecture, and it´s said that he is giving many other lectures worldwide sponsored by this same bank and receiving lots of money. I found deeply promiscous this relationship between an ex president and a private bank, althought, being a Marxist, I´m not exactly surprised. What I find deeply offensive, however, is the irony that THIS president is lecturing our elite about ethics. So, I ask you, is it expected in a developed capitalist country or our elite is more bankrupt (from the moral point of view) than that of other countries. Is this kind of behaviour normal?

If people have that impression then they're just […]

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 confli[…]

A millennial who went to college in his 30s when […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]