I have a hard time understanding this - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Tex
Big Evil wrote:Exactly Tex. I am a firm believer in discipline. A child who is bad, is a child with a red behind.

I'm not against spanking, as long as the person administering it understands that the situation escalated to that point because he was not clever enough to solve the problem without "violence."

The "dread" of being spanked is a much more effective deterrent than the pain inflicted, because if used sparingly, and only in extreme cases, the child attachs much greater significance to it than if he becomes desensitized to it, by constant repitition. It's like getting a shot at the doctor...you dread it if you just get one every few years, but after a while you realize it is a small amount of pain that passes quickly, with no real harm done.

If at eighteen, your child finds the police easier to talk to than his dad, then you know you are a shitty parent, and that your kid has no respect for you.
By Boondock Saint
My dad didnt hit me when I was young ... he was too drunk ...

My mom though ... OH BOY! She used to whoop me somethin fierce ... well ... she tried anyway ... aint much use beatin a boy bigger then you (dont take that the wrong way, I never defended myself it just didnt have much effect when a 5 foot tall woman is beating you) ...

She did however use a wooden spoon which hurt ... till she broke it while beating me ...

I didnt turn out too bad and honestly I dont blame her, tough life the old woman had ... and we kids werent good by any means.

My point?

Whoop them little bastards ... they aint gonna learn with a time out and stern lecture.
By Der Freiheitsucher
I stand absolutely against education by force, even if it's just a mere slap in the ass. It reminds me to what Boon wrote some messages earlier saying that us South Americans don't permit mild sex yet seeextreme violence in the TV daily, I think it has everything to do with where we live. I mean, if we want violence we just have to look out the window, we don't need to invent it like you Americans do.

My parents never even thought of laying a finger on me. Perhaps it has something to do with how violent my country is, I wouldn't know. But I know that free development, without an ounce of violence (I consider spanking to be violent, I cannot, by any means understand why a parent would hit his child) will raise better children.

On a side note, we South Americans (Especially Colombians) don't need to make shitty violent games like Grand Theft Auto because that extra amount of violence we actually experiment in real life, no need to fake it through a video game.
By Boondock Saint
But I know that free development, without an ounce of violence (I consider spanking to be violent, I cannot, by any means understand why a parent would hit his child) will raise better children.

You know I dated a girl who kept telling me her parents were better then mine because they took the same route ...

You know what?

-- Her brother was a drug dealing thug who is now a stock broker becuase he 'knew the right people' and ...

-- She is now a druggy who failed out of university (UCONN) who has dated several drug dealers.

Yea ... worked out fucking great.

BTW ... Americans dont need to create violence ... we are some pretty violent fucks at time ...
By Comrade Ogilvy
Tex, I meant that he or she would find it easier to talk the the police "when I'm pissed off". It was a retorical of how my discipline should be hardass. Kids don't understand respect, so fear is the only alternative. Atleast untill they are old enough to learn how to respect.

I'm actually a very understanding guy. I actually have alot of understanding of motivation and how the human mind works. Even psychatrists have said I'd make a good one. I'm very relaxed and love to hear people's stories and do know what I'm talking about when I say if something should or should not be done.

Now right now sense I have no authority over others, I simply allow them to make thier mistakes and confront them with it. "Did I not tell you this would happen?" People have to learn that things are a ceartain way and to sway from that ceartainy equals bad consequinces and I do not pity those that make bad descisions as it was just that, a descision.

Now, my child on the other hand I do have authority over. He is mine and my wife's creation. Surely she should have a say in the matter, but there's always the more aggressive parent. And don't get me wrong, it takes ALOT to anger me. But when I am, I would make it apparent that to do so would not be a good idea. It was how I was taught. And I learned very quickly why they thought like that and saw value in that form of discipline. (Again, observant of human behaivor.) And because I am relaxed, I have no rancor in beating the hell out of someone if I feel it need be.

Just as soldiers do not kill people all the time, so to can peace makers find answers in violant interaction.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1801949727069[…]

I submit this informed piece by the late John Pil[…]

Well, you should be aware that there are other arg[…]