Moral Subjectivist. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Maxim Litvinov
But *what* do you believe is relative, and *what* do you believe is absolute.

You seem to hold by the logic above, for instance that illegal drug abuse is NOT absolutely wrong. Not inherently wrong. It is wrong only if the intentions are bad. Relative to the situation. In fact, this would also presumably be the case with abortion or rape on your system.

Is this right?
By enLight
Maxim Litvinov wrote:You seem to hold by the logic above, for instance that illegal drug abuse is NOT absolutely wrong. Not inherently wrong. It is wrong only if the intentions are bad. Relative to the situation. In fact, this would also presumably be the case with abortion or rape on your system.

Is this right?

OK, this is how I would view this situation. First, I'd identify the neutral action, which is putting foriegn chemicals into your body to produce an effect (this includes herbal mixtures, medicine and drugs). Then I'd identify the intention according to the Virtue-Vice system orginally thought up by Aristotle. Chemical intake must be used with the intention of Temperence. An asprin fits this criteria. However, an excess of pleasure (temperence is the mean of pleasure) would be soming such as lust or imtemperence. Drugs such as marijuana or cocaine fall into this category.

So since they embody a vice (excess or deficiency) I automatically say they're immoral because the intention is immoral. Now with something like taking aspirin, the intention is already virtuous (mean) so now we chose the neutral action of taking foreign chemicals into the body, but now, like intention action must be at a mean - i.e. according to the right degree. Someone who abuses the use of aspirin in an excess would be just as immoral as a illegal drug user.

And of course, in the end the reasons for this absolute reasoning is justifed by the destructive effects of someone who chose the path of vice or unappropriate action - immorality.

Like I said, my reasoning is logical, but very complex. But a complex standard is the only way to properly reflect the complexity of morality.
By Maxim Litvinov
OK. OK. I get you. A fellow virtue ethicist. Which means that because we are not quite on the same scale as Absolutists > Relativists, we at times seem like neither.

A good explanation of Aristotle, enLight. I had to do a whole subject on the Nichomachaean Ethics and found it absolutely fascinating.

The strangest 'vice' I know of is modesty/humility. I have always thought of humility as a supreme virtue. But according to Aristotle it is the opposite extreme on the scale to 'egotism' basically, and some sort of reasonably pride in oneself (a modern day vice being pride) is actually the mean.

Your thoughts on this particular vice/virtue?
By enLight
Maxim Litvinov wrote:A fellow virtue ethicist. Which means that because we are not quite on the same scale as Absolutists > Relativists, we at times seem like neither.

Indeed. Our line of thinking is almost a category of its own.

A good explanation of Aristotle, enLight. I had to do a whole subject on the Nichomachaean Ethics and found it absolutely fascinating.

Me too. I first got into Virtue Ethics by reading Reverence by Paul Woodruff, which focused on the virtue of reverence. But he also made a very good argument as to how virtues are fundamentally the same in many cultures even if they manifest themselves as different traditions and ceremonies. Anyway, from there I've read a lot of articles and essays on Virtue Ethics, but I've never actually read Aristotle's Ethics (just certain segments).

So just yesterday I ordered a copy for two bucks on Amazon and eagerly await my chance to read it. :D

The strangest 'vice' I know of is modesty/humility.

I always held that modesty was the virtue with humility as the deficiency and egotism as the excess. I'd say its necessary to be moderately humble to human mortality, but also necessary to have some pride in being good and virtuous.

I suppose having too much humility might diminish self-esteem or even make one unwilling to declare certain things as vice.
By Noumenon
I don't believe morality is relative. I have thought about what makes certain actions wrong, and I have come to the conclusion that initiating force to achieve your ends is what makes them wrong. Think about it, why is rape wrong? It is force without consent. If the woman consented, it wasn't wrong. If it wasn't forceful, then it wouldn't be an action, and it couldn't be wrong. Why is theft wrong? You use force to take people's things without their consent. If they had consented, it wouldn't be theft, and it wouldn't be wrong. Same goes for murder. If the person begged to be killed (could be for any reason, mercy killing for example) then that action is not immoral because consent was given.

Utilitarianism is bullshit, and so is virtue ethics. Even if you save two people by murdering one, does that make the murder right? No, it is still a wrong action, it just happens that good things came of it. Nothing is certain. What if the two people died immediately after they were saved? Would the action of murder suddenly change back into being wrong? Either it was wrong at the time or it was not. You cannot change around the rightness of an action just because of what happened to result from it. Now, on the other hand, I believe it is sometimes ok to do the wrong thing for good consequences. Take the example of the last woman on earth who didn't want to procreate. Is it okay to rape her? I suppose so, but it was still a wrong action. You cannot change the fact that it was immoral just because of the good results. She could be traumatized for life, and you undeniably hurt her physically and mentally. How can you ever call that right? This also goes for stealing. If you are starving, then it is okay to steal food. However, your action was still immoral. You used force to take the product of someone's hard work without their consent.

By virtue ethics is just incorrect. It doesn't get to the root of why an action is wrong, it just prescribes a certain set of actions that are "virtuous" and other that are not, apparantly according to someone's idea of proper behavior. "Proper" behavior is completely subjective, and often has little to do with morality. It is proper to eat food with a fork, but is it immoral not to? Obviously not. It might also be "proper" not to murder someone, but that doesn't get to the root of the wrongness of murder. Theres more to murder than just not showing good manners. Virtue ethics also leads people to irrationally believe that certain things are immoral when they are not. Take for example homosexuality. How that could immoral is beyond me. Both people taking part in it don't feel that it is wrong. It is not hurting anyone. It just happens that it offends some people's sense of "proper" behavior. I'm not saying that all people who believe in virtue ethics think homosexuality is wrong, in fact two believers in virtue ethics could be completely different. I could say only those actions which do not initiate force to achieve one's ends are virtuous, and I could say I believe in virtue ethics. Hitler could say only those actions which serve the state are virtuous. Its all completely subjective.

enLight wrote:Chemical intake must be used with the intention of Temperence. An asprin fits this criteria. However, an excess of pleasure (temperence is the mean of pleasure) would be soming such as lust or imtemperence. Drugs such as marijuana or cocaine fall into this category.

Using marijuana is immoral? Who is being wronged? And an excess of pleasure is immoral? Do you then think it should be illegal to have too much pleasure? What would be wrong is using force to prevent people from using marijuana without their consent.

So since they embody a vice (excess or deficiency) I automatically say they're immoral because the intention is immoral. Now with something like taking aspirin, the intention is already virtuous (mean) so now we chose the neutral action of taking foreign chemicals into the body, but now, like intention action must be at a mean - i.e. according to the right degree. Someone who abuses the use of aspirin in an excess would be just as immoral as a illegal drug user.

Right now I feel like I'm having a deficiency of not enough sex. Am I being immoral just sitting here and not having sex? Should I be thrown in jail?

GandalfThegrey wrote:However, I would argue that these situations do not prove that morality is subjective. I have a very simple (and perhaps naiive) view of morality: if it hurts other people, then it is wrong.

My view is also simple, but it is not naive. I really don't know what to say to this, its just faulty pacifist thinking. It is just self evident that using force against aggressors or to save your own life is a right action.

Now, Boon, I believe that the collateral damage example you use was a bad one. In this situation, the attackers are actually claiming (and I have no doubt believing) that they are putting their morals into practice: the unfortunate deaths of a few civilians are necessary to save the lives of many more - however indirectly. Just look at the defenders of the Iraq war - yes some civilians got killed, but that was necessary to liberate the population. This is very different to acts of rape and pillage during war. In the first instance, it was (supposedly) done with the best intentions in mind, wheras in the second, there were no such intentions in mind. In this case, the justification is quite different - that the men are in an intolerable situation, never knowing when they will die, so its understandable that they go crazy and do stuff. In this case, the acts are very definitely recognised as "wrong", though unstoppable. With collateral damage, its not even a case of the attackers saying its ok to kill people - since they believe that in doing so they are saving lives. So its like they get a net gain (ie rather than focus on the people that are killed, focus on the many more that are saved). Its like saying would you kill 10 people to save 100? Most people -would reluctantly say "yes", and would not feel like they are saying that killing is right.

I sort of agree with you here. Wrong actions can be tolerable, but still wrong. That justification of collateral damage is disgustingly utilitarian. It is that view of morality which justifies anything in the name of the "greater good." Now you could argue that collateral damage is purely accidental, and therefore not immoral. However executing an action in which you know there will be innocent deaths cannot be an accident.
By Maxim Litvinov
DTGuitarist - I am concerned that you are so very forthright about your opinions in a field that is highly subjective and complex. That you can, for instance, call utilitarianism and virtue ethics bullshit without understanding them.

But, let's strip back the hyperbole.

1] You have to understand how ethical systems work. Ethical systems have two elements to them - what *is* the good and how should it be inculcated in people.

Utilitarianism posits that the good is that which creates the most 'happiness'. Therefore, it generally follows that actions which are not going to bring about the greatest net good are unwanted. So, in the case of murder, since civilian murder is not liable to bring about the greatest good, it is shunned by a utilitarian. If a murder happens to felicitously bring about the greatest good, then a utilitarian can condemn it just like a teleologist from the point of view that this wasn't envisaged in the act itself. So I don't accept utilitarianism cannot call a 'positive' murder immoral. But you are right that the chief problem with utilitarianism is that people can justify an action on the basis of unknowable results.

As for virtue ethics. Well, virtue ethics takes a more didactic approach to the problem. To draw an analogy, a teleological (and even deontological) dietician might condemn certain eating choices. "You shouldn't have eaten that Mars Bar", "You shouldn't have gone to McDonalds". These are statements about actions. But they don't often help people combat obesity. The virtue ethics dietician would say - "Keep the idea of moderation in your head. Don't think about the individual morality of the action - especially after it's been done. Just remember that you should eat different foodstuffs in moderation, and balance your diet as the 'golden rule'."

The analogy means? Virtue ethics isn't driven by the action - telos - like most ethical systems. It approaches from the point of view of how individuals can guide the processes they go through in order to be 'virtuous' citizens. You might think that 'proper' behaviour is subjective, but this statement also nullifies the effects of teleological and deontological positions also.

As for your specific questions:
1] Marijuana could be immoral because the person is wronging themselves. You should not discount this possibility. You should not also discount that while smoking marijuana might be 'immoral', so too the act of stopping someone from using it, or passing laws to stop its use might be immoral, according to your ethical system.
2] Aristotle is an early virtue ethicist. He would answer about your 'deficiency of sex' question that this is an example of not keeping your sex drive or lusts in moderation. You should not be 'punished' for this, but it would be positive if you as a person tried to regulate your sexual habits, subject to keeping other actions in moderation.
By Vivisekt
DTguitarist99 wrote:I don't believe morality is relative. I have thought about what makes certain actions wrong, and I have come to the conclusion that initiating force to achieve your ends is what makes them wrong. Think about it, why is rape wrong? It is force without consent. If the woman consented, it wasn't wrong. If it wasn't forceful, then it wouldn't be an action, and it couldn't be wrong. Why is theft wrong? You use force to take people's things without their consent. If they had consented, it wouldn't be theft, and it wouldn't be wrong. Same goes for murder. If the person begged to be killed (could be for any reason, mercy killing for example) then that action is not immoral because consent was given.

You're still applying your own subjective sense of morality to these concepts... saying 'think about it' doesn't make it objective. Is rape wrong in the mind of the rapist who feels no remorse? No. But it is to his target. Is killing wrong in the mind of the killer who feels justified and righteous? No. But it is to his target. So who is "right"? Clearly we have two distinct perceptions of right and wrong in these examples, and i don't see how you can say that any one of these perspectives is more "right" than another objectively.

Now, you can let either emotional bias or situational logic (or both) dictate which one or the other is "right" to you in a given situation, but ironically enough where society is concerned, the relativity of morals means that some people will have to be forced into compliance with that satated moral "right" - which itsself should be an immoral act to you by your example.

When a suspected murderer is convicted of killing a person and sentenced to die or spend his life in jail - he is being forced into this punishment by society. But if using force against consent is what defines immorality, then how can enforcing morality be moral? And if enforcing morality is immoral, how can society be moral (as it is dependant on such enforcement to an extent)?

You said that using force against 'aggressors' is not immoral, but that too is awfully subjective. What constitutes an 'aggressor'? What is the line between a disagreement and a threat in a given situation? Surely it can't just be a physical line, because you can seriously hurt a person within society without physically harming them. So, who defines what is and what is not a level of 'aggression' that requires a forceful response, society at large perhaps (the majority)? Well, we've had the majority of people in a culture doing things or approving actions that were later looked upon as crimes before, so that can't be it... hmmm....

Even Virtue ethics (which i don't agree with) has far stronger ground to stand on than this argument you present.
By Noumenon
Maxim Livitnov wrote:DTGuitarist - I am concerned that you are so very forthright about your opinions in a field that is highly subjective and complex. That you can, for instance, call utilitarianism and virtue ethics bullshit without understanding them.

I know more than enough about utilitarianism. I admit that I don't know a whole lot about virtue ethics, but I think I have the general concept right, and I don't agree with it.

Utilitarianism posits that the good is that which creates the most 'happiness'. Therefore, it generally follows that actions which are not going to bring about the greatest net good are unwanted. So, in the case of murder, since civilian murder is not liable to bring about the greatest good, it is shunned by a utilitarian. If a murder happens to felicitously bring about the greatest good, then a utilitarian can condemn it just like a teleologist from the point of view that this wasn't envisaged in the act itself. So I don't accept utilitarianism cannot call a 'positive' murder immoral. But you are right that the chief problem with utilitarianism is that people can justify an action on the basis of unknowable results.

A true utilitarian would not be focused on the act itself, but only on the consequences. Intentions are irrelevant. If intentions were good and the action brought about the most happiness, it was the right action. If intentions were bad and it brought about the most happiness, it was also the right action, according to utilitarianism. That is why a true utilitarian could not condemn a murder that brought about the most happiness.

Utilitarianism is just wrong. An action is not wrong because of its consequences, which are unknowable anyway. If I murder someone now, it might turn out that I saved 10 people 1000 years down the road, but theres no possible way I can know that. Is my action wrong for 1000 years, then it suddenly changes to right? What if another 1000 years after that, the world explodes because of my action? Does it go back to being wrong again?

An action is not wrong because of intentions either. A person could have the best of intentions; take for example that woman who bashed her childrens heads in recently. She did it in the name of God, which are very good intentions according to her. Yet the action of bashing children's heads in is obviously wrong. Whether she is to blame or not due to insanity is open to question, but the action itself was wrong. I don't think anyone could argue that the action was justified because of good intentions.

The wrongness of an action is tied up with the idea of violation. When that woman murdered her children, she violated their right to live. A persons body is their own, and if another person uses force against it without the owner's consent, it has been violated. If there was no violation involved in actions like murder, rape, and theft, they would not be wrong. In other words, if the victims gave their consent, no one would be wronged (violated). The theft would just be borrowing, the rape would just be consensual sex, and the murder would just be assisted suicide (which should not be illegal IMO).

As for virtue ethics. Well, virtue ethics takes a more didactic approach to the problem. To draw an analogy, a teleological (and even deontological) dietician might condemn certain eating choices. "You shouldn't have eaten that Mars Bar", "You shouldn't have gone to McDonalds". These are statements about actions. But they don't often help people combat obesity. The virtue ethics dietician would say - "Keep the idea of moderation in your head. Don't think about the individual morality of the action - especially after it's been done. Just remember that you should eat different foodstuffs in moderation, and balance your diet as the 'golden rule'."

As you said yourself, virtue ethics avoids the individual morality of an action. It is ineffective in understanding the real reason actions are wrong or right. It instead says you should do everything in moderation, which is just a subjective behavior pattern. One person's idea of moderation is 5 drinks in a row, another persons idea of moderation is one drink a week. Also, what you should and should not do is often different from what is wrong or right. I should balance my diet, but should I be thrown in jail for not doing so? I should also be polite, industrious, generous, etc, but I can hardly see not doing those things being a crime. There is nothing fundamentally wrong about eating junk food. who is being violated? You might say you're violating yourself, but that is impossible. You gave consent to do this to your body. No consenting action can be a violation. Is a woman being violated if she consents to have sex, even if it hurts her a little?

1] Marijuana could be immoral because the person is wronging themselves. You should not discount this possibility. You should not also discount that while smoking marijuana might be 'immoral', so too the act of stopping someone from using it, or passing laws to stop its use might be immoral, according to your ethical system.

As I said above, it is impossible to wrong yourself. How can you violate yourself if you gave consent to smoke the marijuana? Violation with consent doesn't make sense. If my neighbor consents to me using his lawnmower, did I violate his property?

2] Aristotle is an early virtue ethicist. He would answer about your 'deficiency of sex' question that this is an example of not keeping your sex drive or lusts in moderation. You should not be 'punished' for this, but it would be positive if you as a person tried to regulate your sexual habits, subject to keeping other actions in moderation.

I agree that I should get more sex, but should is different from what is right or wrong. I am not wronging anyone by not having sex, not even myself.

Vivsekt wrote:You're still applying your own subjective sense of morality to these concepts... saying 'think about it' doesn't make it objective. Is rape wrong in the mind of the rapist who feels no remorse? No. But it is to his target. Is killing wrong in the mind of the killer who feels justified and righteous? No. But it is to his target. So who is "right"? Clearly we have two distinct perceptions of right and wrong in these examples, and i don't see how you can say that any one of these perspectives is more "right" than another objectively.

I suppose you're right. I believe my system of morality is right, but it is based on the human feeling of violation. If no one had the capacity to feel violation, then nothing would be wrong. But I believe that my system of morality is the only one that accurately explains why an action is fundamentally wrong or right. Therefore it is better than other systems, and more objective, but not necessarily absolute. Morality is always based on human feelings, and so if those feelings change, morality changes. If we all become like the rapist who feels no remorse, morality is meaningless.

Now, you can let either emotional bias or situational logic (or both) dictate which one or the other is "right" to you in a given situation, but ironically enough where society is concerned, the relativity of morals means that some people will have to be forced into compliance with that satated moral "right" - which itsself should be an immoral act to you by your example.

Actually, no. My morality system only prohibits initiation of force, not all force. If you really want to murder, then no one can really stop you. However, by doing that you initiated force. Therefore force can be used against you, whether in the form of imprisonment or the death sentence. It really doesn't matter if you have a different set of morals than me, you initiated force without someone's consent, and you wronged them. By doing that you're actually giving consent to have force used against you. If you believe a person's life can be violated by murder, then that includes your own life. You proved that you believe this by murdering someone. Therefore you are consenting to have yourself "murdered", and I'm going to give you the electric chair.

You said that using force against 'aggressors' is not immoral, but that too is awfully subjective. What constitutes an 'aggressor'? What is the line between a disagreement and a threat in a given situation? Surely it can't just be a physical line, because you can seriously hurt a person within society without physically harming them. So, who defines what is and what is not a level of 'aggression' that requires a forceful response, society at large perhaps (the majority)? Well, we've had the majority of people in a culture doing things or approving actions that were later looked upon as crimes before, so that can't be it... hmmm....

Use of force is only justified if it is not initiated. If someone holds a gun to your head, they are using force against you, even if they don't pull the trigger. This is called an "offer you cannot refuse." If someone says give me your money or I'll kill you, you give him the money. It is a form of force that forces someone to do what you want. Since they initiated the force by mugging you, it is okay to use force back. This is what I mean by "aggressor;" someone that initiated force, no matter what form that force takes.
By Maxim Litvinov
DTGuitarist99 - You don't seem to distinguish well between an ethical system and a legal framework, which gets you into all sorts of problems.

1] A 'true' utilitarian still wants to apply herself in practice. And realises that the effects of any action still cannot be known - either before or after an action. So what does she do? She says that if you are building a legal framework that you should focus on:
i] What the perpetrator might reasonably have though would be the result of his actions.
ii] What the results of his actions were.

These are derived easily enough from utilitarian first principles. Now, a utilitarian like the rest of us can talk about a net good. To clear up this murder point you have trouble with... If you murder someone now, and it is a very closed system and the ONLY effect is to save 10 other people in 1000 years time. Well, it is a net good, yes. If the world suddenly explodes now because of the same action... it would be a net bad. Is there any inherent problem in this? No.

The only problem you seem to have is in not understanding how utilitarianism should be applied to a legal scenario. But you answer your own questions. Because it is at best 'difficult' to know what the true results of an action are, we would have to judge your action by the two criteria I listed above, in a courtroom setting, under utilitarian principles. And yes these principles are utilitarian. They are not teleological, because they are not talking about condemning the murder *just because* it's a murder, but rather because it involved the intent to do a bad thing, and resulted in bad results.

This is your problem - that you haven't made the jump from the theoretical side of each ethical system to how it is applied in practice.

Now, virtue ethics is slightly different. It is novel as a theory because it is a sort of philosophical 'self-help' book. It isn't actions based. From this POV, it is not readily adaptable to a legal context.

In the context of virtue ethics you seem to have problems with people 'violating' themselves. Might I suggest moving back to the original 'wrong' yourself? And by 'wrong' I mean - do something to yourself that results in detrimental effects? Is this a *bad* thing to do? Well, it definitely is. Can a *bad* thing be done with someone's consent? Of course it can - such things happen all the time. I can't see why you have a problem with this.

Finally, you suggest the alternate practical theory that basically 'force is wrong, but permissible as a reaction to force'. Which is fine up to a point. I am interested in a few examples...

1] What if I was abused as a child - does that allow me to respond by force to actions that I link to this abuse? If they are connected to my abuser? If they are not?
2] Who started the 'war on terror'? Are all the acts of force after the start of the 'war on terror' to be regarded as legitimate 'self-defence' of force? Is all 'reaction' to force justified?
3] If I kill a burglar, is that legitimate because I was simply 'reacting'?
4] If I con someone out of their house, is this not wrong - simply because I didn't use 'force' to do it?
5] If I injure someone in the course of consensual sex, is that wrong?
6] If I steal someone's home stereo, but don't use any 'force' to do it, is that wrong?
7] Is counterfeiting wrong?
8] What about tax evasion? Am I using force?

The law as it stands is based upon many different ethical systems. But it generally acknowledges that things could/should be condemned if they:
1] are inherently bad (ie rape or murder)
2] have bad consequences
3] are done with bad intentions.
By Noumenon
DTGuitarist99 - You don't seem to distinguish well between an ethical system and a legal framework, which gets you into all sorts of problems.

I believe that if it is truly wrong, then it should be illegal. If its not wrong, it should be legal. The legal framework and ethics are completely tied into each other. Why do we have the Bill of Rights? Ethics. Why is murder illegal? Ethics. So there is really not much distinction between my ethical system in theory and in practice. It should be illegal to initiate force against another individual without their consent. Really, thats the only law you need. It covers almost everything everything (well, except how government should be run). Makes things simple, doesn't it?

I have a problem with virtue ethics because it blurs the line between what is "bad" and what is "wrong." The two are not the same. Drinking too much soda is bad for me, but there is no wrongness to it. The "badness" of drinking soda is totally different from the "wrongness" of murdering someone. The latter involves violation, and the former doesn't.

1] A 'true' utilitarian still wants to apply herself in practice. And realises that the effects of any action still cannot be known - either before or after an action. So what does she do? She says that if you are building a legal framework that you should focus on:
i] What the perpetrator might reasonably have though would be the result of his actions.
ii] What the results of his actions were.

So lets say a murderer is thrown in jail using this system. If the next day it turns out that his murder saved a hundred people, should he be let out of jail? Then the next day it turns out his murder killed 1000 more, should he be thrown back in jail? Utilitarian-based law is unworkable. Also, how can you determine what the murderer thought the results of his actions would be? You have no possible way of knowing that. You can make a reasonable guess, but guesses don't cut it when it comes to the law.

These are derived easily enough from utilitarian first principles. Now, a utilitarian like the rest of us can talk about a net good. To clear up this murder point you have trouble with... If you murder someone now, and it is a very closed system and the ONLY effect is to save 10 other people in 1000 years time. Well, it is a net good, yes. If the world suddenly explodes now because of the same action... it would be a net bad. Is there any inherent problem in this? No.

Yes, there is an inherent problem with that. How do you know when to stop? 5 minutes after the action? 10 years? 1000? It is totally arbitrary. If an action is only right if there is a resulting net good, who decides when to stop adding up the good results and bad results? For that matter, how can you measure happiness exactly? What if the decision comes down to one person being happy and two people being slightly less happy? Are there "units" of happiness? You can never say whether an action is right or wrong as a true utilitarian. It will likely fluctuate between right and wrong until the end of time, or maybe it will remain good until the last second before the end of time, who knows? Utilitarianism is completely ineffective in answering the question "what is right and what is wrong?" It is a failed system.

The only problem you seem to have is in not understanding how utilitarianism should be applied to a legal scenario. But you answer your own questions. Because it is at best 'difficult' to know what the true results of an action are,

Try impossible. It is impossible to know the full results of any action, unless you somehow knew everything that will happen until the end of time.

In the context of virtue ethics you seem to have problems with people 'violating' themselves. Might I suggest moving back to the original 'wrong' yourself? And by 'wrong' I mean - do something to yourself that results in detrimental effects? Is this a *bad* thing to do? Well, it definitely is. Can a *bad* thing be done with someone's consent? Of course it can - such things happen all the time. I can't see why you have a problem with this.

"Wrong" is a lot more complex idea than "bad." You can do bad things to yourself, but that is within your rights. You own your body, just like you own other property. If you want to trash your car for fun, you have the right to. If you want to trash your body by eating junk food, smoking, and drinking, then thats within your rights also. Those things are not wrong, since they don't involve violation. Violation would be trashing someone else's car or forcing someone to eat junk food until they die from a heart attack. Don't you agree that there is a fundamental difference between doing the latter to someone else and doing it to yourself?

1] What if I was abused as a child - does that allow me to respond by force to actions that I link to this abuse? If they are connected to my abuser? If they are not?

You have the right to use any force against your abuser that you wish, including killing him. Could you clarify what actions relating to abuse you're talking about?

2] Who started the 'war on terror'? Are all the acts of force after the start of the 'war on terror' to be regarded as legitimate 'self-defence' of force? Is all 'reaction' to force justified?

This is where it gets complicated. You have to divide it up into groups who initiated force and those who didn't. Clearly, Al Qaeda initiated force against the victims on 9/11. The US government therefore has the right to step in and respond with force to Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda probably has the right to use force against certain members of the US government (the ones who are responsible for the legitimate grievances that Al Qaeda has), but they clearly cannot blow up random US Congressmen. Al Qaeda using force against US soldiers is expected, but wrong. Those soldiers are responding to an initiation of force by Al Qaeda, and in effect carrying out the death sentence for a group of murderers. If those soldiers started to randomly murder people, then Al Qaeda would be justified in stepping in to kill those soldiers.

Those are some tough questions. I'll think about it some more and get back to you.
By Maxim Litvinov
Look. I think the only reason that utilitarianism doesn't work for you is that you are attaching arbitrary standards to it that need not be there. One principle is: "If it is truly wrong, then it should be illegal." And another presupposed standard is: "Actions are right/wrong in and of themselves."

For this reason, you repeat the murderer thrown in gaol thought experiment. My answer is: the murderer would stay in gaol. Why? Because the murderer reasoned that his actions would have a negative effect and still committed the actions. Assuming there were no mitigating factors.

You question how we could know the murderer's intent. Yet intent is a part of every developed legal system as it currently stands. It is obviously not 'objective', but it is a reasoned guess. It is a major part of actually determining that a crime took place in the first place. Without intent, most crimes don't exist. And guesses do cut it before the law, because they are exactly what the law is based upon.

Of course utilitarianism has problems. Of course making a cost/benefit analysis is difficult. You could, if you wanted to, reduce it to 'units of happiness'. And this would seem to be unreasonable. But, then again, your system needs a quantitative basis too. Should someone who brushes someone else in the street be given the same prison term as someone who punches you half-dead be given the same term as someone who rapes you? If not, then you too are talking in terms of degree. And your system has to allow for 'degrees of violation'. And in the end it will need some sort of quantitative 'measure' of violation, which is no more stupid than any utilitarian quantitative measure. Is it also a failed system?

Another 'presupposition' in your system - one that you can't back up, because it is subjective and arbitrary - is the idea that you can't 'wrong yourself'. That each person automatically has sovereign rights. What if, for instance, me starving myself to death makes my mother suffer? Is it not wrong? What gives people the right to 'do what they want' with their own bodies in the first place? Surely they have a duty to maintain certain standards for the community in which they live?

1] To clarify my abuse question, the problem was: what if it can be shown that I violated someone else's rights because I was abused by a third party when I was a child?
2] Surely al-Qaeda were 'provoked' by the violation of the sovereignty of Middle Eastern nations by Western interests?

I think your system is OK. What I am concerned about is that you don't realise your system has as many flaws as the next one. And that you don't recognise that many of your problems with other systems are only a product of arbitrary presuppositions or simply quite superficial.
By Slip, Freudian
I will not get into this debate but...

QUANTUM PHYSICS.

That dictates everyting is relative, so why morals shouldn't be? We all live in separate universums and all that.
By Noumenon
I thought more about those questions, and I have to revise my ethical system to answer them. I've realized that the "force" part isn't so important, whats important is the "violation" part. Violation can be done with or without force. The way I define violation is using, taking, or destroying someone's property without their consent. A person's most important piece of property is his or her own body, and that should never be taken away. Every evil stems from the violation of one's property, especially one's body. Murder destroys the body without consent, making it a violation. Rape and slavery use the body without consent. Theft takes one's property without consent. If someone initiates violation of another's property, their property can be violated. This is a practical necessity for enforcing this code of ethics.

1] To clarify my abuse question, the problem was: what if it can be shown that I violated someone else's rights because I was abused by a third party when I was a child?

You can only violate the person who initiated violation against you. By violating someone elses rights who is not that person, you are initiating violation, regardless of whether your history of abuse lead you to do it.

2] Surely al-Qaeda were 'provoked' by the violation of the sovereignty of Middle Eastern nations by Western interests?

Sovreignty is irrelevant. What matters is property. It is true that the property of middle eastern people was violated, but whether it was an initiation of violation depends on which case you're talking about. In any case, Al Qaeda cannot initiate violation on innocent civilians. Their violation must be targeted specifically on those individuals responsible for the violation of middle eastern people.

3] If I kill a burglar, is that legitimate because I was simply 'reacting'?

Using the "force" code of ethics, I was really unsure how to answer this one. The burglar isn't really using force unless he happens to be carrying a gun and threatening you. However, he is violating your property merely by stepping onto it without your consent. Just because he steps on your property doesn't mean you can blow him away. I believe the amount of violation used in response must be proportional to the degree of violation that was initiated on you. So if a burglar steals something from you, you cannot kill him. You can physically stop him, turn him into the law and fine him. You could perhaps shoot him in the leg or something. If the burglar is carrying a gun though, that constitutes a threat of extreme violation, so you would be responding in proportion by killing him.

4] If I con someone out of their house, is this not wrong - simply because I didn't use 'force' to do it?

You're right that you don't use force, but you use violation, because the victim did not truly consent. True consent must involve awareness of the results of the agreement. For example, I could consent to eating McDonalds by paying for it, but if it turns out it was poisoned, that was not true consent because I didn't know about the poison.

5] If I injure someone in the course of consensual sex, is that wrong?

No, it is not wrong. By agreeing to sex, you are agreeing to a certain amount of risk associated with the act. Risk includes accidents, but not things done on purpose. If you injured someone on purpose, that was not part of the agreement, and therefore wrong.

6] If I steal someone's home stereo, but don't use any 'force' to do it, is that wrong?

Same as 3.

7] Is counterfeiting wrong?

No, but paying some in counterfeit when they believe it is real is wrong. The person did not consent to being paid in counterfeit, so it is little more than stealing.

8] What about tax evasion? Am I using force?

Taxes are theft. They are an initiation of violation of your property without your consent. Therefore you have every right to evade taxation, and tax collectors should be treated like burglars.

Look. I think the only reason that utilitarianism doesn't work for you is that you are attaching arbitrary standards to it that need not be there. One principle is: "If it is truly wrong, then it should be illegal." And another presupposed standard is: "Actions are right/wrong in and of themselves."

I can't prove those things. They seem to me to be self-evident. I suppose all ethical theories need presumptions.

For this reason, you repeat the murderer thrown in gaol thought experiment. My answer is: the murderer would stay in gaol. Why? Because the murderer reasoned that his actions would have a negative effect and still committed the actions. Assuming there were no mitigating factors.

This would not be true utilitarianism though. True utilitarianism doesn't concern itself with intentions.

You question how we could know the murderer's intent. Yet intent is a part of every developed legal system as it currently stands. It is obviously not 'objective', but it is a reasoned guess. It is a major part of actually determining that a crime took place in the first place. Without intent, most crimes don't exist. And guesses do cut it before the law, because they are exactly what the law is based upon.

True. My ethical system covers intent through what is consented to. Everyone realizes that there is a certain amount of risk involved in everything. Therefore, when they consent to anything, they are consenting to a certain amount of risk associated with that thing. If they decide to walk out on the sidewalk, there is a risk that a car will run them over accidently. If they do get hit, they consented to that risk just by stepping out on the sidewalk. Therefore the car driver isn't at fault, provided it was truly an accident (for example if the brakes stopped working). If the driver intentionally ran over the person, that is wrong because the person did not consent to that when they walked out on the sidewalk.

Of course utilitarianism has problems. Of course making a cost/benefit analysis is difficult. You could, if you wanted to, reduce it to 'units of happiness'. And this would seem to be unreasonable. But, then again, your system needs a quantitative basis too. Should someone who brushes someone else in the street be given the same prison term as someone who punches you half-dead be given the same term as someone who rapes you? If not, then you too are talking in terms of degree. And your system has to allow for 'degrees of violation'. And in the end it will need some sort of quantitative 'measure' of violation, which is no more stupid than any utilitarian quantitative measure. Is it also a failed system?

Making a cost/benefit analysis that accounts for everything is impossible. I suppose units of happiness wouldn't be too unreasonable, since arbitrary degrees of violation would be necessary in my system. But at least you could be sure of the degree of violation, you can't be sure that the total units of happiness will be greater because of a certain action.

Another 'presupposition' in your system - one that you can't back up, because it is subjective and arbitrary - is the idea that you can't 'wrong yourself'. That each person automatically has sovereign rights. What if, for instance, me starving myself to death makes my mother suffer? Is it not wrong? What gives people the right to 'do what they want' with their own bodies in the first place? Surely they have a duty to maintain certain standards for the community in which they live?

I still stand by the statement that you can't wrong yourself. If wrong means a violation, then you must violate yourself in order to wrong yourself. How is it possible to destroy, use, or take from your body without your consent?

Each person automatically owns their body because they start out controlling it. Your property is what you control. It is only through society that control of your body is given up.

You have to understand the difference between rights and privilages. Your mother does not have the right not to suffer. Making her suffer emotionally is not a violation of her property. She enjoys the privilage of not suffering through the joy that you choose to give her. You can choose to take away that joy you give at any moment. You could do it by killing yourself, being an asshole to her, or any number of ways. That is your right, because you can do anything you want as long as it does not violate the property of others.

No one has a positive duty to do anything. Their bodies do not belong to others, so others cannot force them to do things "for the good of the community" or for any other reason. That is slavery. Whether they think they should help out or not is their decision alone. If they choose to give help, it is out of mercy and compassion, as it should be, not slavery. While mercy and compassion are good qualities, they are not "right" or "wrong." That is like saying politeness is right, and rudeness is wrong. They are desirable qualities, but they should have nothing to do with morality.
By enLight
Slip, Freudian wrote:I will not get into this debate but...

QUANTUM PHYSICS.

That dictates everyting is relative, so why morals shouldn't be? We all live in separate universums and all that.

You know, much of quantum physics is very theoretical. So I wouldn't be too quick to use it as a dependable justification.
By Maxim Litvinov
DTGuitarist - I think your system is certainly getting better, but I still don't think it's a real system. Some more thoughts:

1] In terms of types of ethical systems, your system is teleological. That is, the morality of an act is deemed to be inherent in that act itself. Rape is wrong because, a priori, it is a violation of someone else's body. The strange thing about your teleological theory is that if has no defence for *why* things are inherently so in the first place. It doesn't seem 'religious' for example, and doesn't explain why a 'violation of property/person' should be wrong in the first place. So, it is based on an unproven, arbitrary standard.
2] You still are going to run into very clear problems with the definitions of violation and consent. In fact, all you seem to be doing at the moment is thinking up ways that these words can be used to make almost everything that is illegal today immoral. I'd suggest this is a bit artificial. Here are some problems:
i) what about people who can't give consent (they are too young, they are drunk)? what if the consent is not informed? what if no reasonable person could have consented to the act (as happens in contract law today)?
ii) 'violated' seems to get too close to meaning 'transgressed', which is all caught up with the current law. what current illegal acts *would not* be immoral under the new system?
iii) what if i violate someone in the best interests of the person i'm violating? a man is drunk and on the train tracks, and i pick him up and take him to safety? is that immoral? especially if i can be reasonably sure that he didn't want to kill himself?
iv) how can you ever know that someone has 'truly' consented to something? for instance, if McDonalds isn't poisoning its customers, but has an abnormally high salt content in their fries that day, then that would be a form of violation too, wouldn't it?
v) you seem to get close to social contract theory. namely - people are making unwritten contracts about what they expect out of certain situations at any time. it is a 'violation' to break such a contract. why is this not just social contract theory?
vi) surely if someone does something against their own interests while in a state that they couldn't consent to it, then this is a violation? it might not be a violation that calls for legal action, but it is still a violation.
vii) is insulting people a violation? if so, why? obviously just because an act makes someone feel bad, it can't automatically be a violation.

I don't believe in your definition of 'true utilitarian'. A 'true' utilitarian simply believes that the greatest good should be the factor that governs the moral of an action. Therefore, anyone who does not think they are doing the greatest good in committing an action is being immoral. Therefore, the true utilitarian has to take account of intent when designing a legal framework.
By Noumenon
1] In terms of types of ethical systems, your system is teleological. That is, the morality of an act is deemed to be inherent in that act itself. Rape is wrong because, a priori, it is a violation of someone else's body. The strange thing about your teleological theory is that if has no defence for *why* things are inherently so in the first place. It doesn't seem 'religious' for example, and doesn't explain why a 'violation of property/person' should be wrong in the first place. So, it is based on an unproven, arbitrary standard.

Violation of property and person is wrong because doing so inhibits the freedom of the victim. Violating another person's body by enslaving it puts severe restrictions on the freedom of the victim. If we did not own our body, then anyone could just come by and use it. If you wanted to use me to mow your lawn, you could, just like you could use a stick in the forest that no one owns. The effects of this is a loss of freedom. We would must be able to control our own bodies, or we are slaves. This applies to other violations of property as well. Murder obviously ends freedom permanently, and theft limits the freedom to acquire wealth in a peaceful manner. I assume that freedom is the overall goal, just like the most happiness is the goal of utilitarianism.

2] You still are going to run into very clear problems with the definitions of violation and consent. In fact, all you seem to be doing at the moment is thinking up ways that these words can be used to make almost everything that is illegal today immoral. I'd suggest this is a bit artificial. Here are some problems:

No, that is not my goal. For example, use of marijuana, currently illegal, would be legalized. It is impossible to wrong yourself, so using marijuana on your own body is not wrong. Therefore it should be legal.

What I am trying to do is come up with a system that explains my innate feelings of right or wrong. Instinctively, I feel that murder is wrong while marijuana is not. I am trying to figure exactly why those things feel wrong or right.

i) what about people who can't give consent (they are too young, they are drunk)? what if the consent is not informed? what if no reasonable person could have consented to the act (as happens in contract law today)?

If they cannot give consent to a thing that uses, destroys, or takes from their property, then that thing should not be done to them.

Take for example surgery on a five year old, who is not old enough to consent to such a thing. That surgery does not destroy, use, or take from the five year old's property. It instead preserves his property by healing him. Simply touching him is not a violation.

Another example: circumcision. Unless it can be shown that circumcision does actually provide health benefits that outweigh the cost, it qualifies as a destruction of property, not preservation. Therefore it should not be performed on a person who cannot give consent.

ii) 'violated' seems to get too close to meaning 'transgressed', which is all caught up with the current law. what current illegal acts *would not* be immoral under the new system?

All currently illegal drugs, gay marraige, sodomy, illegal immigration, public obscenity, tax evasion, and draft dodging (well there would be no taxes or draft). None of these things are a violation of property and should be legal.

iii) what if i violate someone in the best interests of the person i'm violating? a man is drunk and on the train tracks, and i pick him up and take him to safety? is that immoral? especially if i can be reasonably sure that he didn't want to kill himself?

You are not violating him simply by touching him. Violation must involve destroying, using, or taking property.

iv) how can you ever know that someone has 'truly' consented to something? for instance, if McDonalds isn't poisoning its customers, but has an abnormally high salt content in their fries that day, then that would be a form of violation too, wouldn't it?

A person can truly consent when all the necessary information is readily provided for them. For example, the chart in Burger King that lists all the health information on the various menu selections provides the information that the customer needs to truly consent to eating the food. If by some freak accident there happens to be an extremely high concentration of salt in the food, then the customer consented to that too. As I explained before, everyone knows there is a certain amount of risk of accidents in everything. By eating anywhere, they are consenting to a certain amount of risk that the food will be bad by accident. If someone is responsible for the high salt content and it causes damage to the customer's health, then that was not consented to and that action was wrong.

vii) is insulting people a violation? if so, why? obviously just because an act makes someone feel bad, it can't automatically be a violation.

No. Insults cannot destroy, use, or take another's property.

vi) surely if someone does something against their own interests while in a state that they couldn't consent to it, then this is a violation? it might not be a violation that calls for legal action, but it is still a violation.

Yes, that would be a violation. For example, the 15 year old who recently posted nude pictures of herself on the internet. I know that I said this was okay before, but according to my new system it is wrong. A 15 year old is not old enough to truly consent to that, because she probably does not know the implications. This could require legal action to prevent her from doing it, but punishing her just doesn't make sense.

v) you seem to get close to social contract theory. namely - people are making unwritten contracts about what they expect out of certain situations at any time. it is a 'violation' to break such a contract. why is this not just social contract theory?

I don't know enough about the social contract theory to answer this one.
By Warrior Monk
Rape is Evil because the Lord God says so in the Bible.

Anyone who says morality is subjective should be tortured until they admit that torture is Objectively Evil. If not they should be gassed and burned -- their ashes scattered -- food for bacteria and worms.
By Boondock Saint
Warrior Monk wrote:Rape is Evil because the Lord God says so in the Bible.

Anyone who says morality is subjective should be tortured until they admit that torture is Objectively Evil. If not they should be gassed and burned -- their ashes scattered -- food for bacteria and worms.

:lol:

Your god is dead and no one cares.

By your very statement you prove that morality is subjective and by your suggestion of utilizing torture to prove your point you prove it is not objectively evil ... as you are assuming that some good can come of it.

You sir are a troll ... I will not be the first person to say this to you but I hate seeing people abuse this forum.
By Warrior Monk
Boondock Saint wrote:Your god is dead and no one cares.

Your offensive fascist antisemitic and antichristian hate speech has little effect on me. Immortal beings like the Lord God cannot die. It is Nietzsche who is well dead -- food for bacteria and worms.

By your very statement you prove that morality is subjective and by your suggestion of utilizing torture to prove your point you prove it is not objectively evil ... as you are assuming that some good can come of it.

Torture of the innocent is objectively evil. Torture of the guilty (moral relativists) is either objectively good or objectively evil depending on the circumstances. Still objective.
By Boondock Saint
Your offensive fascist antisemitic and antichristian hate speech has little effect on me. Immortal beings like the Lord God cannot die. It is Nietzsche who is well dead -- food for bacteria and worms.

:lol:

Are you CWAS? Come on ... are you? Be honest ...

And we are all food for the worms and bacteria eventually, even your god. Wait a moment ...

Immortal beings like the Lord God cannot die.

Is that plural?

PLURAL?

Is there an s attached there?

Is there more then one immortal being that we don't know about? Are the more like this 'God' you talk of?

Are you implying that the god of Abraham is not alone on the mountain? Is Krom with him? Strong on his mountain?

I do love the fascist, anti simetic and anti christian hate speach bit but one thing ...

You didnt capitalize Christian ... how can one such as you not capitalize Christ? Your a fake. You capitalize Nietzche but not Christ ... heh ...

Oh and you left out antiIslamic ... or did you not know that the Muslims are also the children of of the god of Ibrahim?

Torture of the innocent is objectively evil. Torture of the guilty (moral relativists) is either objectively good or objectively evil depending on the circumstances. Still objective.

So you agree then, morality is subjective.

Good ... you shouldnt contradict yourself so quickly ...

NOVA SCOTIA (New Scotland, 18th Century) No fu[…]

If people have that impression then they're just […]

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 confli[…]

A millennial who went to college in his 30s when […]