Why I won’t use ‘preferred’ pronouns – and why you shouldn’t either (Toronto Sun - Jordan Peterson) - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
mikema63 wrote:@Bulaba Jones probably trying to sound smart and sophisticated.

I see...

Pants-of-dog wrote:The trans people I know just use the pronoun for the gender they have arrived at. They are also forgiving of my errors when I use the wrong one.

In other words, you had to perform the ritual offerings to the stone idol statue of the Islamo-Marxist-Liberal Obama, and then impress the Sinister Gay Cabal with your dance moves, and then you were forgiven?
Bulaba Jones wrote:I heard someone say "Latinx" last week (instead of Latino or Latina). They were describing the composition of people in a certain city. Why they didn't just say "Hispanic" I don't know.

The Latinx thing is funny, because in Spanish. The "Masculine" version of a word is also, and actually first and foremost gender neutral. It would be easier and more practical to simply push for the elimination of female versions of the word.

In Spanish you could argue that we only have neutral, and female words. Not male and female. However, I suspect white people made up this Latinx stuff, so how woudl they know....
Seeing as the man is a professor, he should be aware of the fact that his position of power dictates a higher degree of responsibility than many other jobs, such as @Decky, who is a bricklayer that doesn't need to have nuance in his articulation. Decky can just continue being ignorant no problem, because nobody is actually expecting anything better of him. 

No wonder the white working class has fled the democratic party. This post underscores the kind of snobbery of bourgeois liberals (whether out of NYC, Hollywood, or your local campus) towards their 'problematic' native working class of 'flyover states' (that demands too much money and doesn't have enough children to remain globally competitive and sustain the welfare state) as well as the kind of totalitarian logic to PC, suggesting being in a higher place in society means greater pressure to toe their party line and respect the will of international capitalists that sponsor it. As if the professor has the 'responsibility' of ideologically owing anything to you.

No wonder nationalism is back and with such a strong proletarian character. Whether it's the Victorian era or now, workers hate the snobby liberal elite.

It's interesting to note a similar parallel to russian liberals and their self hatred for the working class, they echo similar lines while being a fester on incredible post-soviet inequality and lay the failure of liberal democracy at the feet of the russian demos. What Moscow and NYC have in common is they're cosmopolitan cities built on increasing inequality, strongholds of liberalism that disdain the countryside around them.

Along with race and class, the town and countryside divide has been made more apparent than ever by globalization.
Rancid wrote:The Latinx thing is funny, because in Spanish. The "Masculine" version of a word is also, and actually first and foremost gender neutral. It would be easier and more practical to simply push for the elimination of female versions of the word.

In Spanish you could argue that we only have neutral, and female words. Not male and female. However, I suspect white people made up this Latinx stuff, so how woudl they know....

Wait, are you saying "Latino" is gender neutral?
Bulaba Jones wrote:

Wait, are you saying "Latino" is gender neutral?

Correct, Latino is the gender neutral version of the word. The masculine version of these words are also gender neutral. You use the "masculine" word when referring to groups of mixed gender and unknown gender.

For example, if I see a group of kids, and they're all boys, I say Niños. If I see a group of girls I say Niñas. If I see a mixed group, or I can't tell if they are all female or male, I say Niños.

My point is, adding an "x" is fucking stupid, and can't even be pronounced easily in Spanish. It sounds fucking stupid, and you'll sound like a fucking retard. If anything, if fucking anything, simply eliminate female versions of words. Overall though, it doesn't bother me that it's a gendered language, but then again, I'm a man, so my opinion is invalid apparently.

It;s fucking stupid, and people in Latin America will laugh at this concept. This is just more American Cultural Imperialism.
Rancid wrote:Correct, Latino is the gender neutral version of the word. The masculine version of these words are also gender neutral. You use the "masculine" word when referring to groups of mixed gender and unknown gender.

For example, if I see a group of kids, and they're all boys, I say Niños. If I see a group of girls I say Niñas. If I see a mixed group, or I can't tell if they are all female or male, I say Niños.

I get your point but the fact remains that it's a male gender even as it's used in a gender-neutral situation. Not the hill I'd die on though, because I too think the x is ridiculous.
Sure its root is masculine, but through all of history, we always appropriate words and objects for new uses anyway. Why do we have to try so hard to replace it, why can't we just re-purpose it?

Again though, this concept will get laughed at in any Spanish speaking country. People there don't care about this kind of stuff. In fact, my parents are visiting for the holiday, I just told them about Latinx and they just gave me a "what the fuck is that stupid shit look." :lol: I'm sure non-American raise Latinos would do the same.
Rancid wrote:Sure its root is masculine, but through all of history, we always appropriate words and objects for new uses anyway. Why do we have to try so hard to replace it, why can't we just re-purpose it?

Again though, this concept will get laughed at in any Spanish speaking country. People there don't care about this kind of stuff. In fact, my parents are visiting for the holiday, I just told them about Latinx and they just gave me a "what the fuck is that stupid shit look." :lol: I'm sure non-American raise Latinos would do the same.

I agree with you most of the way. Not completely, but mostly. The macho will always be there.
As the professor in the OP said, this is about "power" and the transgender professor subtly admitted it as well, by saying "Now that I got tenure, I am supposed to use it to advance...ehm do good" as if getting tenure has anything to do with anything other than academia.

The power is simple, the transgender professor is looking to appropriate the hipster multi-gender crowd and then run for office on that platform. Appropriating the niche, of course what he does not realise are the dangers that the other Professor warns him about during their televised debate where he basically destroyed the entire concept.

One cannot regulate this kind of thing and it became obvious when he said that people should save it on their mobile phones which is beyond ridiculous because language is supposed to stand without aiding gadgets, second you can save it on your phone after you have already made the mistake and wrongfully addressed someone which can lead to getting fined or other sanctions. Third it is utterly preposterous.
anna wrote:
I agree with you most of the way. Not completely, but mostly. The macho will always be there.

That's fine, no problems. At some point though, all of this ultra-inclusivity stuff is going to get mentally exhausting and difficult to navigate for everyday people. It's going to get to the point where people will become afraid to say anything, and thus we will all become fucking boring.

Here's the grenade I'm going to through in the bar room when this subject comes up.

"I HAVE THE DICK, SO I MAKE THE RULES."

Hmm. I took it a second time and changes three ans[…]

Great german commentary: https://www.nachdenkseite[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]