The Argument for Abortion is the Same as the Argument Against Vaccination - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I just noticed this.

"It's my body," same argument.

"so it doesn't matter if it might harm other people," same argument.

"or if it's potentially harming me," same argument.

"I get to choose what is done to my body."

The similarities are in fact so thorough that hardcore abortion advocates compare pregnancy to parasites and disease, which vaccinations are meant to prevent.
Difference: not getting a vaccination is a net negative on society, and a huge negative to the child. Getting an abortion is a net positive on society, and almost always a net positive for the woman.

Another difference: a child cannot make an affirmative choice to not get a vaccine, he/she has to rely on the decision of the parent, which is always a bad decision in the case of not getting a vaccine. A woman can, however, make decisions about her own body.
Albert wrote:Hey good point. Might if I copy that to use against SJW?

Of course!

LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:Getting an abortion is a net positive on society, and almost always a net positive for the woman.

Clearly not always true. Do you think the world would be a better place if you didn't exist? That would be depressing.

LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:Another difference: a child cannot make an affirmative choice to not get a vaccine, he/she has to rely on the decision of the parent, which is always a bad decision in the case of not getting a vaccine. A woman can, however, make decisions about her own body.

I haven't been keeping track of your opinions on everything, so I have to ask: do you think a child can choose to undergo a sex change operation, like hormonal treatments and/or surgery, but they lack the agency to make a choice about vaccines?
Hong Wu wrote:I haven't been keeping track of your opinions on everything, so I have to ask: do you think a child can choose to undergo a sex change operation, like hormonal treatments and/or surgery, but they lack the agency to make a choice about vaccines?

Not Gucci, but here's my take:

No, I don't think children know enough of the world or themselves to request sex change operations until they have reached their late teens. Major decisions like a sex change are poorly processed by the developing human brain.

As for vaccines, legally, they lack the agency to make such a choice until they turn 18, at least here in the USA. Thus, it is necessary and appropriate that the state require vaccinations.
Blondie wrote:Not Gucci, but here's my take:

No, I don't think children know enough of the world or themselves to request sex change operations until they have reached their late teens. Major decisions like a sex change are poorly processed by the developing human brain.

As for vaccines, legally, they lack the agency to make such a choice until they turn 18, at least here in the USA. Thus, it is necessary and appropriate that the state require vaccinations.

These are fair answers :) I personally don't think it's smart to forego vaccines and I don't condemn abortion in every imaginable instance, I just think people should treat the situation with the gravity I believe it deserves... and therefore both of the positions I laid out in the OP seem equally foolish to me.
Hong Wu wrote:Clearly not always true. Do you think the world would be a better place if you didn't exist? That would be depressing.

Actually objectively it would be a better place if I was never born. I take up a lot of resources.

That actually wasn't my point though, my point though is that if a woman of sound mind makes a decision to get an abortion, she probably had a good reason. So it's almost always a net positive for society and the woman.

I haven't been keeping track of your opinions on everything, so I have to ask: do you think a child can choose to undergo a sex change operation, like hormonal treatments and/or surgery,

No, unless they are intersex or have been diagnosed by a trained physician and get the consent of their parent/guardian.

but they lack the agency to make a choice about vaccines?

Absolutely, and more to the point I believe that unless there is a medical reason there should be no exception. Another big difference that I did not go over is that an abortion is something you do to yourself, and a vaccine is a decision you make for another person.
Hong Wu wrote:I just noticed this.
"so it doesn't matter if it might harm other people," same argument.

No other people are being harmed. There is only one person.

Also, the state has the right to compel vaccinations to preserve public health - although that right should be exercised with caution.
Hong Wu wrote:"It's my body," same argument.

I don't remember being in a position to object to being vaccinated as a kid. I do recall being afraid of the pointy thing but then I really didn't know what rubella was.

Hong Wu wrote:"so it doesn't matter if it might harm other people," same argument.

Being unvaccinated actually does harm other people, abortion does not.
Clearly not always true.

Why is it not true ?
If an abortion took place, then there are several conditions that might have led up to it.
1- The mother's health was at risk, so its a positive effect to abort the pregnancy to save the mother whom is a productive part of the society.
2- The family in general was in bad economic condition, thus abortion would allow them to save on expenses of child care for the given period and allow them to seek to grow their income and status.
3- the mother was single, thus an abortion if she's not ready would allow her to build a life for her self and become a productive part of society if she isn't already.
Plus it saves the child if born from living in a broken family and hard conditions.
4- The pregnancy is not wanted and thus saves any born child from living as a burden to his parents and thus develop problems latter on which would be a burden for society.

do you think a child can choose to undergo a sex change operation, like hormonal treatments and/or surgery, but they lack the agency to make a choice about vaccines?

This is no more than a stupid argument to distract from the original nonsensical one.

Stop being such a cuck man, why does the world exist if we weren't supposed to be in it?

Well, technically for the same reason the rest of the universe exists. Unfortunetly we still don't know why is that but obviously since even with the most advanced technologies we will still not be able to even leave our own galaxy or reach anther galaxy, then the universe for what ever reason it exists isn't solely for us to live in it. We're a very very very small insignificant part of the universe.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:Actually objectively it would be a better place if I was never born. I take up a lot of resources.

Those resources are not doing anybody any good if they are being left to rot. If you believe yourself to be a parasite, then you should take that as a challenge. Improve the quality of life for all the beings on earth, to justify your consumption.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

You mean the settlements they abandoned in 2006 f[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]