How should parents be allowed to punish their children? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I know that back in the old days it was perfectly common and normal for parents to physically strike a child for disciplinary reasons. It is becoming less and less common.

Getting struck or whipped isn't all that bad. However, I remember once being punished as a kid because I was cursing. I think this is a really sick practice, but a lot of parents punish a kid who swears by washing his mouth out with soap. I had it happen to me, and I found it extremely abusive and cruel. I think it is absolutely a terrible thing to do and think that any parent who does it should be criminally charged.

What kind punishment should be allowed?
Waterboarding or putting them in a dark room for an hour to think about what they did. The dark freaks kids out, most of them anyway.

I knew of a teacher who was a bit mean to students. She would tie them to a chair with their shirts on inside out. I think the humiliation made them behave because they never wanted to be tied up like that again. She was from Texas. :lol:
Getting your mouth washed out with soap isn't cruel. It simply tastes really bad. It get the message across, loud and clear, however.

Spanking should be rare, and should never actually injure(then it becomes child abuse). There is, however, evidence that spanking has negative connotations, so you should look to alternative disciplinary measure for your kids.
Discipline is only difficult with a small family. I was the youngest of 5. The oldest back talked to my dad and was immediately knocked to the ground. The rest of us got the message without being knocked to the ground. :D
Friends would be a reward compared to the current viewing choices. I especially enjoy virtually every mainstream TV show must have at least one homosexual in every family. They then make sure the homosexual has the moral intelligence of a 12 year old. I don't see how anyone can tolerate these programs.
Agent Steel wrote:Getting struck or whipped isn't all that bad. However, I remember once being punished as a kid because I was cursing. I think this is a really sick practice, but a lot of parents punish a kid who swears by washing his mouth out with soap. I had it happen to me, and I found it extremely abusive and cruel. I think it is absolutely a terrible thing to do and think that any parent who does it should be criminally charged.

Washing a kid's mouth out with soap is "extremely abusive", but flogging is OK? :lol:
I knew you were a mummy's boy, Frollein.

I stopped my children doing something they wanted to do. That's harder than it sounds.

Listening to my middle daughter sobbing her heart out because I prevented her going on a friend's birthday treat, was truly awful. I almost caved in and let her go.

The rapes by Hamas, real or imagained are irreleva[…]

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia coul[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]