People who say suicide is selfish and cowardly - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
@Drlee Yes, suicide hurts people around the victim, but people only do it if they feel that it is pointless to live on, and by doing so, they could continue to hurt the people around them. We need to reflect on what we have done wrong as a society, how we have let someone feel so miserable. We need to stop condemning the person and moving on, as if it was their own fault.
Agent Steel wrote:
No, it really isn't. It's due to mental illness. It is completely inappropriate for you to condemn their character because of something they have no choice over. You really ought to apologize for that insensitive remark.

I never apologize for what I believe in. I am not condemning their character at all, depression is not part of a person's character IMO. Depression is an illness that people have to get over. It is like saying that cancer is part of a person's character, which is silly.

Here is what Webster's says about it:

a : one of the attributes (see 1attribute 1) or features that make up and distinguish an individual This is a side of her character that few people have seen.
b (1) : a feature used to separate distinguishable things into categories; also : a group or kind so separated advertising of a very primitive character (2) : the detectable expression of the action of a gene or group of genes (3) : the aggregate of distinctive qualities characteristic of a breed, strain, or type a wine of great character
c : the complex of mental and ethical traits marking and often individualizing a person, group, or nation the character of the American people
d : main or essential nature especially as strongly marked and serving to distinguish excess sewage gradually changed the character of the lake

I believe that people have a choice over how they live their life. They can choose to be happy or they can choose to be miserable. It is as simple as that. Once I chose to quit my whining and be the best that I could be, I changed my life for the better. Now I look forward to a struggle in life but also a better future than before I went back to school for Accounting.

Mental illness can be treated. Those who live with it and do not seek treatment are not being smart. There is help, as someone has said in this thread. People who care will try to help. The fool is the one who will push people away and wallow in misery.
MistyTiger wrote:I believe that people have a choice over how they live their life. They can choose to be happy or they can choose to be miserable. It is as simple as that.

Esoteric nonsense. Some people have shitty brain chemistry, others don't. Simple as that.
Rugoz wrote:
Esoteric nonsense. Some people have shitty brain chemistry, others don't. Simple as that.

Shitty brain chemistry AKA imbalances can be fixed by medication or doing things like exercising more or going outside more often to get more oxygen to the brain.

There are people with terminal illnesses who actually seem more content with who they are than the people who are perfectly healthy, but they just want to bitch and moan about how much their life sucks ass. I am one of those people who believes in standing up and taking action to improve my life. I really believe I have and it was a gradual change. I did not just wake up one day and say, "Hey world, I am all better now and none of the slobs and bastards can get me down!" I had to keep convincing myself that I would be okay and it helped to have 1 or 2 people in my life who encouraged me to keep moving forward, they inspired me.
Just go down the pub every day after work and drink away your sorrows like a man. Suicide is not selfish, it is your life to throw away after all but it is a bit pathetic.
Rugoz wrote:Esoteric nonsense. Some people have shitty brain chemistry, others don't. Simple as that.

Exactly, and i think it's stupid when people say they've had depression so they can judge others. Illnesses affect everyone differently and you have no idea if someone else is suffering the same as you did or much worse.

Also, someone could hate their self and their life so much that they even care about trying to get better, just just want to die as much as we want to live.
"To be, or not to be . . ." You know how the rest of it goes. Then there was Camus, I think he said the only question in life is whether to commit suicide. George Sanders, the English actor committed suicide and left this not: "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck." So it appears its not all doom and gloom, but there is something Darwinian about it, and anyway, a few less people will not be such a bad thing if you are a fish or a tree.
Seeker8 wrote:Exactly, and i think it's stupid when people say they've had depression so they can judge others. Illnesses affect everyone differently and you have no idea if someone else is suffering the same as you did or much worse.

Also, someone could hate their self and their life so much that they even care about trying to get better, just just want to die as much as we want to live.

It's objectively selfish, though. That's not passing judgement, that's just looking at the facts. You get to feel better while making everybody you supposedly care about feel horrible. And the worst part is you don't even get to feel better, you just get to stop feeling, so it's pointlessly selfish too.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:It's objectively selfish, though. That's not passing judgement, that's just looking at the facts. You get to feel better while making everybody you supposedly care about feel horrible. And the worst part is you don't even get to feel better, you just get to stop feeling, so it's pointlessly selfish too.

My problem with that argument is that it recognises the pain for the loved ones while disregarding the pain for the individual.

As long as the loved ones are not shoked by the suicide, that is "came out of the blue", most move on. If they can not move on, if their pain and guilt remained for years past it, that is more on them and their lives rather than one single incident.

So I don't sound too much like a heartless bastard; let there be as few suicides as possible! :)
I believe that people have a choice over how they live their life. They can choose to be happy or they can choose to be miserable. It is as simple as that.

And with that, you display a level of ignorance so deep as to destroy ALL credibility you have to talk about this subject. If you knew anything about how depression works itself in the brain you would never, ever say something like that.

It is not by choice. It is an illness of the brain. People who are suffering from the illness do not have the ability to choose to be happy. Why would you possibly think people would freely choose to be miserable? And worse, why would you then attempt to place blame on them as if it's their fault they are depressed? Ridiculous. Such profound ignorance.
MadMonk wrote:My problem with that argument is that it recognises the pain for the loved ones while disregarding the pain for the individual.

As long as the loved ones are not shoked by the suicide, that is "came out of the blue", most move on. If they can not move on, if their pain and guilt remained for years past it, that is more on them and their lives rather than one single incident.

So if "move on" is a good response to the people left behind, why isn't "get over it" a good response to the person that committed suicide?

A friend of my aunt recently had a daughter that committed suicide. I doubt that her and her husband will be able to just "move on". Of course this is just anecdotal so I don't want to get too into specifics, but suffice to say that the girl had a future ahead of her and it was fairly "out of the blue".

I don't blame everything on that girl though, I can also see how stigmatized suicide and depression is by society. Perhaps if she had been able to ask for proper help it would have been different. The best way to prevent suicide is therapeutic and psychiatric intervention, building a strong support system, etc. That doesn't mean that suicide isn't a selfish act, it just means that there are reasons people considering suicide don't choose to get help sometimes.

@FiveofSwords is unable to provide a scientific[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]