Lets Bring Back Dueling - Page 12 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Are you arguing that dueling can stop revolutions and mass executions?

That isn't answering the question, answer the question and I will answer yours after. Fair is fair.
Red_Army wrote:@Hong Wu You can't use phrases like "put up or shut up" on an internet forum. Also I think I conduct myself just fine since only the biggest turds on the forum seem to ever be upset with me :D

Oh but I can. League of Legends? Overwatch? StarCraft? We could settle this with an e-duel.
:lol: e-duels?
Cmon, @Hong Wu!! Stop being silly. :lol:

You might as well go bragging that you won an argument in Pofo. See how many people give a shit.
Last edited by Godstud on 11 Oct 2018 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Sivad wrote:That wasn't adult, I had to publicly humiliated the guy to get him to knock it off. What I did was pretty dirty. I don't regret doing it but I do regret that it had to come to that.

It was not morally perfect, sure, but you tend to hold a lot of people to a high standard. Including yourself, apparently.

You did not resort to violence. You stepped in to help the target of bullying. You ended the bullying. These are all good things, and the fact that you publicly shamed the bully does not change that, even if publicly shaming people is not necessarily good.
Last edited by Pants-of-dog on 11 Oct 2018 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
@Hong Wu your suggestion definitely settles the debate about which of us is more of a nerd.

If you're so high class you should be able to afford a jaunt up here to Alaska for kumite.
SolarCross wrote:That isn't answering the question, answer the question and I will answer yours after. Fair is fair.

If we are going to play that game, please note that you never told me why you are not engaging in the modern version of dueling.

Are you avoiding breakdancing because you are so much more ready to kill than gang members?

The answer to your question is “maybe”. You might be able to dance your way out of revolutions or mass executions. Probably not.

Are you arguing that dueling can stop revolutions and mass executions?
Red_Army wrote:@Hong Wu your suggestion definitely settles the debate about which of us is more of a nerd.

If you're so high class you should be able to afford a jaunt up here to Alaska for kumite.

No seriously do you have Steam? The loser must either quit PoFo or stop insulting the other. I am challenging you to settle this, are you a real nu-man or not?
Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

@Hong Wu re: are you a real nu-man or not?... Maybe he's a REAL man. :D
Last edited by Godstud on 11 Oct 2018 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
Pants-of-dog wrote: the fact that you publicly shamed the bully does not change that even if publicly shaming people is not necessarily good.

Shaming someone for being a bully is one thing but bringing their repressed sexuality into it is below the belt. The guy was asking for it and he had no shame about bullying but it was still pretty shitty. I wasn't proud of myself but there really was no high road in that situation.
Nah @Hong Wu. I don't really play games. I played crusader kings a bit. Sometimes I play minesweeper. Since you don't want to fight me and I'm not gay I guess we'll just have to blue ball this hatred forever.
Red_Army wrote:Nah @Hong Wu. I don't really play games. I played crusader kings a bit. Sometimes I play minesweeper. Since you don't want to fight me and I'm not gay I guess we'll just have to blue ball this hatred forever.

The internet says that Crusader Kings II has multiplayer. I assume you will want to be the filthy Saracens?
Pants-of-dog wrote:If we are going to play that game, please note that you never told me why you are not engaging in the modern version of dueling.

Dancing isn't the modern version of duelling. I do dance occasionally but dancing isn't duelling and nor do I pretend that it is. I could conceive of participating in a non-violent contest of some sort to settle some grudge but it would have to be a pretty mild sort of grudge and the other bloke would have to agree.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Are you avoiding breakdancing because you are so much more ready to kill than gang members?

No and honestly I don't think you are being even remotely honest reading me that way.

Pants-of-dog wrote:The answer to your question is “maybe”. You might be able to dance your way out of revolutions or mass executions. Probably not.

Probably not is an understatement. Essentially you are urging non-communists to be peaceful and helpless so that you can have an easier time rounding them up for the slaughterhouse once you get the chance. You aren't against duelling because you are a sweet sentimental pacifist who abhors even the littlest bit of consensual violence but because you are afraid of even the slightest ability to resist mass murdering communists. It's the same reason you are against gun ownership. Solzhenistyen's regret is your fear. You are afraid the human face that you want to stamp on forever might just bite your toes off.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Are you arguing that dueling can stop revolutions and mass executions?

There are a lot benefits to duelling as already covered but among them would be the potential for encouraging the general populace to reconsider their personal martial prowess and aspire to improving it if only so that they may do well in a duel rather than wimp out. A general populace that has personal martial prowess is not a populace that will go quietly into the night when the gestapo or NKVD come knocking...

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Hong Wu wrote:The internet says that Crusader Kings II has multiplayer. I assume you will want to be the filthy Saracens?

I play Ck2 sometimes. I'll play you at that if you like, a friendly game because I have no grudge against you.
Red_Army wrote:Is multiplayer fun @SolarCross?

I haven't tried it yet for ck2. The last strategy game I played multiplayer was civ4 and it was pretty awkward to be honest but then it was turn based. Ck2 multiplayer could be kind of awkward too in a different way because you want to be able to slow and speed up time to get through the dull bits and give yourself time to manage the busy bits but that presumably is not possible when you have human opponents.
SolarCross wrote:Dancing isn't the modern version of duelling. I do dance occasionally but dancing isn't duelling and nor do I pretend that it is. I could conceive of participating in a non-violent contest of some sort to settle some grudge but it would have to be a pretty mild sort of grudge and the other bloke would have to agree.

How is it not dueling?

Gang members use dance as a way of dealing with the same slights that your wig wearing toffs used traditional duels to solve.

It plays the same social role in terms of protecting honour, avoiding thenspread of conflict, resolving dominance, etc.

The people involved are, like traditional duelists, not exactly foreign to lethal violence.

Is it a race thing?

No and honestly I don't think you are being even remotely honest reading me that way.

I asked you why you refused to engage in the modern equivalent of dueling if you support the traditional version.

You replied along the lines of how these b-boys are soft because they are afraid to kill.

So I put the two together and came up with that. I then asked you if tha is what you meant.

You now say that is not what you meant.

So, why do you refuse to engage in the modern equivalent of dueling if you support the traditional version?

Probably not is an understatement. Essentially you are urging non-communists to be peaceful and helpless so that you can have an easier time rounding them up for the slaughterhouse once you get the chance. You aren't against duelling because you are a sweet sentimental pacifist who abhors even the littlest bit of consensual violence but because you are afraid of even the slightest ability to resist mass murdering communists. It's the same reason you are against gun ownership. Solzhenistyen's regret is your fear. You are afraid the human face that you want to stamp on forever might just bite your toes off.

I never said I was against dueling.

If you want to feel insulted at something, and then get beat up about it, feel free. I even mentioned that I would enjoy watching it.

I just said it was stupid, prone to abuse, does not actually resolve the underlying issue, and is classist.

There are a lot benefits to duelling as already covered but among them would be the potential for encouraging the general populace to reconsider their personal martial prowess and aspire to improving it if only so that they may do well in a duel rather than wimp out. A general populace that has personal martial prowess is not a populace that will go quietly into the night when the gestapo or NKVD come knocking...

Sort of like the Chinese and Kung Fu.

Or the way the Cubans give everyone military training.

Except more indirect, classist, and culturally irrelevant.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi.

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

https://twitter.com/TheBigDataStats/status/1399589[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]