Lets Bring Back Dueling - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I. Introductory Thoughts.

My wife sent me an article in an email of how Russia just legalized dueling, a topic I have no discussed on here much but which I have always found intriguing as a potential solution to our libel culture. Historically the public disputation and the duel were the mediums of dealing with two different types of discourse. The former dealt with actual intellectual challenges and were considered regionally binding, were governed by the laws of logic and debate, and had definitive goals with winners and loser. The latter (the topic of this thread); dealt with insult and libel, for if a untrue or false statement were made but not retracted upon challenge, then a duel often ensued. If the libelist refused to accept the challenge and retract his claims, then he was often ostracized and has reputation ruined, but if he accepted the challenge, it was accepted by the public that validity of the claims would be "sorted out" in the duel. As libel and accusations can rarely be verified, this was seen as sufficient to put the matter to rest and I think we should bring them back (along with binding public disputations).

II. The Recent Political Example.

So here is the RT article:

Duels to be recognized under Russian law as Lib Dems draft bill following general’s challenge

The Russian Liberal Democratic party has drafted a bill allowing for official duels and detailing rules for such combat. The move comes after the head of the National Guard challenged an opposition figure to a fight over slander.
The motion, prepared and drafted by MP Sergey Ivanov states that a duel between Russian citizens should be possible – although it should by no means be deemed a normal way of settling scores.

“In recent times there is a tendency among civil servants to challenge citizens who express opinions that differ from the official point of view to duels. In order to systemize the main reasons of such challenges and the rules of actual duels we propose this bill,” the lawmaker wrote in the note attached with the draft.

The lengthy code reads that a duel is a way to avenge an insult – and cannot be used in place of a court case. It also reads that duels are only possible between citizens equal in their official positions and citizens who do not fall under the category of civil servants are completely excluded from the code. Ordinary citizens can violate civil servants’ rights, but not insult them, and therefore when someone working as a civil servant receives a challenge from someone who is not, the former can accept it only with a written sanction of his immediate boss, who must determine if a challenger “is worth the honor of fighting.”

The code mentions three types of weapons that can be used in an official duel – sabers, small swords and pistols, participants can use their own weapons or rent them and are also free to determine various other conditions of their fight (distance from rival, duration, type of injury that should lead to its conclusion) “Poor training in use of weapons cannot become an excuse for rejecting a challenge or replacing the duel with other ways of settling accounts,” the draft reads.

Disabled people, minors and people over 60 can officially put a substitute in their place when challenged and women are not allowed to participate in duels under the LDPR’s bill.

MP Ivanov drafted his bill the day after the commander of the Russian National Guard and former head of the presidential security service, General Viktor Zolotov, challenged prominent opposition activist Aleksey Navalny to hand-to-hand combat and promised to turn him into minced meat over allegations of corruption and graft in his agency. Navalny has not yet replied to the challenge (the activist is serving a 30-day civil sentence for repeated violations of the law on rallies), but his representative told reporters that her boss was ready to defend himself in court only.

https://www.rt.com/politics/438290-russ ... t-liberal/

III. An Example Of A Philosophical Argument in Favor of Dueling.

Also; here is a really good article from PhilosophyNOW, making the case for dueling:

In Defense Of Dueling

While dueling is one of the oldest activities in the books (as readers of the Iliad will remember), laws against it are some of the oldest on them. In Europe, dueling was officially discouraged by the Catholic Church as well as by King James I of England. In America, both Washington and Franklin disapproved of the practice; Washington for tactical reasons – he didn’t want to diminish his officer corps – and Franklin, who described it as “uselessly violent,” for moral ones. Prohibitions against dueling made their way into a number of state constitutions, for instance those of Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee and Florida, as well as into the Uniform Code of Military Justice (Article 114). But only slight penalties accrued to participating in duels – usually disenfranchisement, debarring, disqualification from office-holding or some other loss of social status or privilege. From this and from the way in which these laws were phrased, one gets the impression that dueling was not thought of as a moral plague, like drinking and prostitution – although the Alabama state constitution goes so far as to call it an “evil practice.”

Dueling, which had its roots in the honor codes of the European aristocracy, was inconsistent with America’s new anti-feudal self-image, although it is interesting to note that all the aforementioned prohibitions come from the constitutions of Southern states, whose economic structures, being centered around plantation ownership, were more similar to their European feudal ancestors than their Northern mercantile siblings. It should also be noted that, despite the prohibitions, America has provided the soil for a number of legendary duels, the most famous being the encounter between Hamilton (L) and Burr (W) in Weehawken, and between the unscrupulous Andrew Jackson (W) and Charles Dickinson (L), and Stephen Decatur (L) and James Barron (W). The one-on-one shoot-outs of the Old West also provided a uniquely American variation on the European tradition. Instead of taking turns, as in the European style, which is designed to test the stoic courage of an individual to take fire at a prearranged number of paces, in the American style both gunslingers draw at the same time, which emphasizes the competing speed and skill of each shooter. The former style presides under the sign of honor, while the latter presides under the sign of the marketplace, where merit sorts the quick and the dead.

A Challenge To Duel

The first argument in favor of modern dueling is a libertarian argument, which hopes to show why it is inconsistent with our values of freedom to prohibit dueling. The second set of arguments are utilitarian, through which I hope to show why it would be a benefit to our society to reinstate the practice.

The libertarian point in favor of dueling is that two adults should not be prohibited by law from doing whatever they please to and with their bodies. So, the legalization of dueling ought to be considered alongside arguments for the legalization of a number of other socially-stigmatized practices that have been prohibited by law, from this standpoint, unjustly – prostitution, gay marriage, polygamy, personal drug use, doctor-assisted suicide, to name a few. The guiding principle here is mutual consent between adults (which the modernized legal dueling regulations described below will attempt in each instance to establish). As J.S. Mill rightly noted, while governments are responsible for protecting their citizens, they have no right, and ought to have no power, to enforce their protection against an individual’s wishes. In Mill’s theory, individual freedom is constrained by a principle of non-harm – a person may do as much damage to himself as he wishes, but as soon as his actions harm others he is legally and morally culpable.

This may seem to be a bad argument to marshall in my own defense, as the express purpose of a duel is precisely to harm another individual. However, I think that mutual consent to accept harm is fully consistent with Mill’s non-harm principle, extended from one individual to two on the basis of a contract publicly recognized as valid.

It might be said that without the culture of honor which provided the psychological motivation for dueling in aristocratic Europe, there would be no rational reason for an individual to accept the risks that accompany a duel. Very well; but the infrequency of a practice does not merit an unjust prohibition of it. Personally, proceeding on the assumption that no one would be so imprudent as wish to cross swords with me, I can think of a number of individuals whom I would allow to shoot at me just for the opportunity of returning fire.

Unfortunately, to paraphrase Mill once more, for some it is not enough to be shown that a law has no justification (in Mill’s case the disenfranchisement of women, in ours forbidding dueling); they must also be shown what benefit would arise from abolishing it. Those who make this demand are quite sure that the violence of the duel is – as Franklin incorrectly thought – ‘useless’. This view is likely prejudiced by a wishy-washy non-violence adjoined to hippie notions of verbal conflict resolution. Allow me then to disabuse these jacofosts with the following three points:

1) Let us observe that it is the law that creates criminals, by classifying certain actions as crimes. This is certainly the case with buyers and sellers of illicit drugs. If we decriminalized their product, we would instantaneously decrease our crime rates, free up our prison cells, speed up the processing rates of our legal system, and afford our police force more time and opportunity to do their job – that is, to serve and protect. Just so with dueling. If it were to become popular, it would help decrease illicit murders. Because of the regulations imposed upon it and its setting in a controlled environment (see below), dueling would also minimize third party casualties – not to mention fatalities that would otherwise occur during the time lapse between an emergency call and the arrival of the first ambulance, because of the presence of a doctor. Decreasing crime rates would increase the general feeling of public safety, and thereby increase citizens’ confidence in government security programs, making it less plausible for politicians to divert voters and tax dollars away from important social issues by running on strong-arm ‘protect the suburbs’ platforms.

2) If you do believe that dueling is an irrational risk, why shed tears over the loss of those who take it? Instead, consider dueling, which only rarely risks more than severe injury, to be a form of unobjectionable (because self-volunteering) population control.

3) As has already been noted, the motivation for historic European dueling was the defense of honor; a value currently sorely lacking in our narcissistic, morally fragmented society. We contemporary individuals lack a sense of honor because we have errantly abolished all the ideology that might foster it – on the admittedly justifiable grounds of lifestyle pluralism and social egalitarianism. However, appropriately modified, dueling would infringe on neither of these grounds, instead fostering, through the back door as it were, a new, democratic sense of honor. The belief that one’s honor is worth fighting over would imbue participants in this revolutionary institution with an accompanying sense of self-worth, which has hitherto only been achieved in our society through the willful self-delusion which allows individuals to attempt to discover personal and interpersonal value in shameless consumerism.

The Modern Thrust

Lifting the dueling ban would require a modernization consistent with contemporary values and needs. Traditionally, dueling was limited to men of property, and non-aristocrats were punished for participating in them. In this egalitarian age we would make the practice more inclusive, allowing any two mutually consenting legal adults (18 years or older) of ‘sound mind and body’ to participate, regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, or creed. This inclusiveness would remove the aristocratic, inegalitarian trappings of dueling and make the practice safe for democracy.

Next, the duel, traditionally monitored by personally chosen seconds, would require monitoring by an impartial legal authority acting as a notary public. The legal observer would preside over the signing of the initial dueling contract, in which issues such as weapons (swords or pistols, and of these ancient or modern), number of paces (depending on the choice of pistol), style (taking turns or simultaneous drawing), level of agreed-upon permissible injury (to the first blood, to the death, one shot per dualist) and so forth. They would also preside over the duel itself to see whether the stipulations of the contract were properly followed. Each signing individual would forfeit the right to legal or economic compensation from his rival, unless foul play or the inexact following of the agreed contract could be proven in a court of law. All weapons used during the duel would have to be legally registered, and a doctor would have to be present for a duel to be legally valid (one can also amend the above regulations to include demonstration of health-care as a prerequisite for being granted a dueling contract). As the participants would know in advance, all invalid duels would be treated legally as first-degree murder (attempted or actual), and no-one could claim protection from prosecution under dueling laws without a valid contract properly followed. Any third party who is accidentally injured during the course of the duel would have a right to press charges (eg of involuntary manslaughter) and seek redress of grievance against the offending party. Individual organizations, private and public – such as the military and the government – may prohibit dueling as a condition of membership, and punish offending individuals accordingly. Dueling could be grounds for court marshal, impeachment, or firing, but these individuals would not then face trial in a public court of law.

It is my hope that there will be a referendum in support of legalization on the ballot in my native state of California soon. I am counting on the support of my fellow Californians to help me get enough signatures to send this important proposition to the voters for their consideration and then for their vote. I am also encouraging the non-Californian readership to petition their government representatives in support of similar resolutions, so that together we can all take ten paces toward a greater humanity.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/67/In_ ... Of_Dueling

So PoFoers, Lets bring back Dueling!
Yes, this has my vote. As I said in the SJW thread holmgang is the proper civilised response to insult. If a civilisation lacks a civilised way of dealing with the necessity of vengeance then it is no civilisation at all.

While I think it is a stupid idea, it would be amusing to see all the wannabe warriors get their asses kicked by those who have been in a lot of fights.
I personally favor it as well.

I think society has moved beyond it.

I'd allow you to choose between sword or pistol though, VS, in a true English gentlemanly way (I'm not English, by the way. Possibly part Cornish if you go back in my genealogy, but that's beside the point.)

Which would it be, by the way?

I think you'd pick pistol.
It should be mêlée weapons only, so the fight isn't over in seconds flat and to make for better sport. Modern firearms are too good, so either you artificially restrict it to very poor ancient firearms such as unrifled ball shot muzzle loaders which is gay or you will need obscenely large arenas if you let the combatants choose their arms (full auto rifles) which is not practical especially in urban environments.
---------
“A man may shoot the man who invades his character, as he may shoot him who attempts to break into his house.” -Samuel Johnson
Pants-of-dog wrote:While I think it is a stupid idea, it would be amusing to see all the wannabe warriors get their asses kicked by those who have been in a lot of fights.

Remember that under the code duelo the challenged gets the choice of weapons. I might not be able to whip Arnold's ass but I can certainly put a bullet between his eyes or tits. :lol:
Crantag wrote:I think you'd pick pistol.

I'm actually a trained Rapierist in the La Verdadera Destreza tradition, but I am also an experienced marksman and lifelong hunter with martial arts experience and I was a known fist-fighter in high school (I was also a wrestler from third grade through my sophomore year).

Though I consider myself a man who prefers formal moderated debates these days due to my academic training, i'm still in good shape and am game for anything really.

;)

But to answer your question; I'd pick Rapier.

In any event, I was hoping for more serious conversation on the actual merits of this position....I suppose i'll pick on PoD.

Pants-of-dog wrote:While I think it is a stupid idea

Why?
Last edited by Victoribus Spolia on 03 Oct 2018 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

Historical European Martial Arts - get yourself ready for dueling when it comes back.

----------

Dueling sort of still exists but for it to be semi-legal in most jurisdictions the particular format of the contest should be non-lethal and mostly unlikely to cause serious injury, so a boxing match or similar. So what the OP is suggesting is not so much bringing back dueling as allowing a greater freedom to embrace higher levels of risk in dueling. Given the context of modern medicine the modern duelist really has even more scope for braverly accepting higher risk levels. A duel to first blood in the 15th century would likely be lethal anyway just from the risk of infection but clearly the risk of that is much less in the context of modern medicine. It is a paradox of our times that the safer we become the more cowardly we become too.
SolarCross wrote:Historical European Martial Arts - get yourself ready for dueling when it comes back.

That is where I learned Rapier, through a HEMA group.

SolarCross wrote:Dueling sort of still exists but for it to be semi-legal in most jurisdictions the particular format of the contest should be non-lethal and mostly unlikely to cause serious injury, so a boxing match or similar. So what the OP is suggesting is not so much bringing back dueling as allowing a greater freedom to embrace higher levels of risk in dueling. Given the context of modern medicine the modern duelist really has even more scope for braverly accepting higher risk levels. A duel to first blood in the 15th century would likely be lethal anyway just from the risk of infection but clearly the risk of that is much less in the context of modern medicine. It is a paradox of our times that the safer we become the more cowardly we become too.

That is an interesting point, I suppose I don't have a problem with potential-death either though as an assumed risk, like with sky diving. Contractual agreements are designed to absolve liability and like I presented above, the terms of the duel should be laid out beforehand.

I'd image Judge Kavenaugh would definitely go 30 paces with pistols against Blasey-Ford's husband. When it comes to accusations that cannot be confirmed or proven in a court of law, but which still have the weight to ruin a man's life (or a woman's honor); a duel is an appropriate medium of resolution and the terms must clearly state that the duel exists for the purpose of that resolution; all risks are assumed by the participants and liability does not extend beyond those parties.

I think its quite reasonable, and the nation of Russia apparently thinks so as well.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:That is an interesting point, I suppose I don't have a problem with potential-death either though as an assumed risk, like with sky diving. Contractual agreements are designed to absolve liability and like I presented above, the terms of the duel should be laid out beforehand.

I'd image Judge Kavenaugh would definitely go 30 paces with pistols against Blasey-Ford's husband. When it comes to accusations that cannot be confirmed or proven in a court of law, but which still have the weight to ruin a man's life (or a woman's honor); a duel is an appropriate medium of resolution and the terms must clearly state that the duel exists for the purpose of that resolution; all risks are assumed by the participants and liability does not extend beyond those parties.

I think its quite reasonable, and the nation of Russia apparently thinks so as well.

In addition to a solution for libel, or in a related way, an insult is an invitation to fight. Really that is the immutable function of an insult, an inivtation to fight; together the insult and the fight are two halves of a whole. Legally quashing dueling however did not and probably could not also legally quash its counterpart the insult so modern people are stuck doing this weird thing where they insult each other but then fail to follow through on the next stage. It's like opening a bottle of wine and not drinking it or putting on your dancing shoes but not dancing.
SolarCross wrote:Legally quashing dueling however did not and probably could not also legally quash its counterpart the insult so modern people are stuck doing this weird thing where they insult each other but then fail to follow through on the next stage. It's like opening a bottle of wine and not drinking it or putting on your dancing shoes but not dancing.

This is the great irony with our culture of political correctness, hate-speech, libel, etc.,

No amount of laws can make a culture civilized, it just makes people more evil as they find more underhanded ways to get at people, like calling the Gestapo for things said in confidence. This of course being something we are quickly heading towards in the west.

What makes people civilized is the fear of ostracization by their peers and of immediate consequences for one's actions, something the state cannot effectively do because its too impersonal and often makes the situation worse with safety nets. If community cohesion were necessary for your survival because of the division of labor, and if a spurious insult could force you into either a duel to the death or being ostracized from your trading network, you would think twice before saying dumb shit like people do on Twitter.

That is why the government cannot solve our current problems with the #Metoo stuff and hate-speech without becoming dystopian, because the government banned the natural cure; free human interaction.

Let people engage in duels and recognize the regionally binding character of formal disputations and we would put most of these issues to rest in short order; its either that, or we embrace 1984.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:In any event, I was hoping for more serious conversation on the actual merits of this position....I suppose i'll pick on PoD.

How are you going to have a serious discussion on something this stupid?

Why?

It seems pretty obvious.

Duels do not address the actual libel or insult or whatever. They address your feelings of shock and hurt and anger at being insulted. Get a therapist instead of taking out your aggression on a person who may well be telling the truth. In my experience, people who are hurt when they hear insults get more hurt when those insults are true.

Secondly, they do not address whether or not the insulting claims are true.

Third, they can be used as a way to kill someone legally, despite the fact that the killer may have been in the wrong the whole time or deliberately pretendned to be insulted so he could kill the other guy.

And these are just the first three that came to mind right now.
Red_Army wrote: and powdered wigs

Of course. I think powdered wigs should come back.

It would fit nicely with my handle bars.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Duels do not address the actual libel or insult or whatever. They address your feelings of shock and hurt and anger at being insulted. Get a therapist instead of taking out your aggression on a person who may well be telling the truth. In my experience, people who are hurt when they hear insults get more hurt when those insults are true.

Except if they are true, they should be proven true, and if not it would be ethical for the libels to be retracted....Further we are not simply discussing insults like "you're a ninny" we are discussing things that ruin reputations, careers, etc.

For instance, If I were to call your employer in a bygone era and tell him you were a "communist" you could lose your job, home, and your family could be in real jeopardy, and even if the accusation was untrue, you would still have no recourse as it was not a criminal case and no evidence could substantiate the claim. Is this a just and moral situation? Would you merely be snowflake who is just complaining about his fee-fees if you happened to have a real problem with this scenario? I think not.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Secondly, they do not address whether or not the insulting claims are true.

How would you figure that out in the case of an accusation that cannot be corroborated or demonstrated but is nonetheless damaging?

If you were to lose your wife or home because of a mere accusation that cannot be proven, How are you to get justice? Who is going to repay you for your loss?

Pants-of-dog wrote:Third, they can be used as a way to kill someone legally, despite the fact that the killer may have been in the wrong the whole time or deliberately pretendned to be insulted so he could kill the other guy.

If both people agree to the duel though, the voluntary and mutual nature of the contract absolves of any liability, you are not victim if you agree to the duel anymore than I am a victim of a skydiving company because I failed to survive the jump. I assumed the risk by agreeing to skydive, No one oppressed me in that instance.

Furthermore, we have legalized killing now; e.g. abortion, euthanasia, etc. :excited:
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Of course. I think powdered wigs should come back.

It would fit nicely with my handle bars.

Except if they are true, they should be proven true, and if not it would be ethical for the libels to be retracted....Further we are not simply discussing insults like "you're a ninny" we are discussing things that ruin reputations, careers, etc.

For instance, If I were to call your employer in a bygone era and tell him you were a "communist" you could lose your job, home, and your family could be in real jeopardy, and even if the accusation was untrue, you would still have no recourse as it was not a criminal case and no evidence could substantiate the claim. Is this a just and moral situation? Would you merely be snowflake who is just complaining about his fee-fees if you happened to have a real problem with this scenario? I think not.

Is the duel going to get me my job back?

No. It is all about feelings.

How would you figure that out in the case of an accusation that cannot be corroborated or demonstrated but is nonetheless damaging?

If you were to lose your wife or home because of a mere accusation that cannot be proven, How are you to get justice? Who is going to repay you for your loss?

The duel is not going to get me justice o repay me for my loss.

Or addressing my actual point, it will not help anyone come closer to the truth about the accusations.

You ignored my actual point to discuss my fee-fees.

If both people agree to the duel though, the voluntary and mutual nature of the contract absolves of any liability, you are not victim if you agree to the duel anymore than I am a victim of a skydiving company because I failed to survive the jump. I assumed the risk by agreeing to skydive, No one oppressed me in that instance.

You missed the point.

Abe wants to kill Ben.

Abe trains in pistols or kumquats or whatever weapon he knows that Ben is not good at.

Abe then goes and gravley insults Ben, hoping Ben will be all about his fee-fees and want a duel.

Ben wants to duel.

Abe chooses the weapon he has trained in and kills Ben legally.

Yay! Abe just got way with premeditated murder.

Furthermore, we have legalized killing now; e.g. abortion, euthanasia, etc. :excited:

These are irrelevant, and as an an-cap, you support them anyway.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Is the duel going to get me my job back?

Would a libel suit against an unfriendly Op-ed?

What if the FBI finds that Ford and the all accusers were lying about Judge K? Will Harvard all of a sudden let him come back and teach? I doubt it.

The damage is done, but justice was not served.

Your rebuttal is like this alternative scenario where you were to say: "Somebody stole my car and drove into the ocean, he should be punished!"

and I replied with: "Well, that is clearly all about your feelings, punishing the thief isn't going to get your car back."

:eh:

I know you like to project some sort of SJW meme about feelings onto every thread nowadays, but thats not an argument.

Pants-of-dog wrote:The duel is not going to get me justice o repay me for my loss.

Or addressing my actual point, it will not help anyone come closer to the truth about the accusations.

You ignored my actual point to discuss my fee-fees.

I asked you a question, Please answer my question and quite dodging like a triggered snowflake.

Pants-of-dog wrote:You missed the point.

Abe wants to kill Ben.

Abe trains in pistols or kumquats or whatever weapon he knows that Ben is not good at.

Abe then goes and gravley insults Ben, hoping Ben will be all about his fee-fees and want a duel.

Ben wants to duel.

Abe chooses the weapon he has trained in and kills Ben legally.

Yay! Abe just got way with premeditated murder.

Its not murder if Ben agreed to the contract. Its that simple.

He assumed the liability and took the bait in that case.

Pants-of-dog wrote:These are irrelevant, and as an an-cap, you support them anyway.

I don't support abortion, I support a lack of all laws altogether.

In a state of nature, people are able to get abortions on their own property, but I am also able to stone my daughter if she procured such on my property against the laws I have on my own there.

Don't conflate the 4-20 just-bake-the-cake left libertarian degenerates with Ancaps, it makes you sound silly and uninformed (more than usual that is).
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Would a libel suit against an unfriendly Op-ed?

What if the FBI finds that Ford and the all accusers were lying about Judge K? Will Harvard all of a sudden let him come back and teach? I doubt it.

The damage is done, but justice was not served.

Your rebuttal is like this alternative scenario where you were to say: "Somebody stole my car and drove into the ocean, he should be punished!"

and I replied with: "Well, that is clearly all about your feelings, punishing the thief isn't going to get your car back."

:eh:

I know you like to project some sort of SJW meme about feelings onto every thread nowadays, but thats not an argument.

A successful libel suit would show that the insulter was wrong. From there, the insulted party can show that the claims are baseless.

A duel would not.

I asked you a question, Please answer my question and quite dodging like a triggered snowflake.

I answered your questions.

Its not murder if Ben agreed to the contract. Its that simple.

He assumed the liability and took the bait in that case.

So we agree that a duel wouldhe a good way to legally murder someone.

I don't support abortion, I support a lack of all laws altogether.

In a state of nature, people are able to get abortions on their own property, but I am also able to stone my daughter if she procured such on my property against the laws I have on my own there.

Don't conflate the 4-20 just-bake-the-cake left libertarian degenerates with Ancaps, it makes you sound silly and uninformed (more than usual that is).

Oh, so you are not really an An-cap. No surprise there.
Pants-of-dog wrote:A successful libel suit would show that the insulter was wrong. From there, the insulted party can show that the claims are baseless.

That is not what I asked, I asked if a Libel suit would get your job back and rectify the damages from the original libel (including your reputation). You have not provided evidence that they do, this response is therefore a red herring and irrelevant.

Also a duel is an agreement of resolution to the conflict, thus, by agreeing to a duel, the person is stating that the validity of their claims will be subject to the duel's result. Thats how that works; plus, duels were all about reputation and it was seen socially as a means of restoring that reputation if it had been damaged.

Pants-of-dog wrote:I answered your questions.

No you didn't; please answer this question:

Victoribus Spolia wrote:How would you figure that out in the case of an accusation that cannot be corroborated or demonstrated but is nonetheless damaging?

Thanks.

Pants-of-dog wrote:So we agree that a duel wouldhe a good way to legally murder someone.

Legal murder is an oxymoron.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Oh, so you are not really an An-cap. No surprise there.

Please provide evidence of how my claims are inconsistent with Ancap thought because you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Everything I just stated was consistent with Anarcho-Capitalism as expounding by its leading figures, such as Hans-Herman Hoppe who is a primary influence on my position.

No violation of the NAP occurred in my scenario, nor did a third party monopolist of coercion exist in it. It was therefore Ancap.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:That is not what I asked, I asked if a Libel suit would get your job back and rectify the damages from the original libel (including your reputation). You have not provided evidence that they do, this response is therefore a red herring and irrelevant.

As I said, a successful libel suit would be part of a process ingetting your job back while a duel would not.

Also a duel is an agreement of resolution to the conflict, thus, by agreeing to a duel, the person is stating that the validity of their claims will be subject to the duel's result. Thats how that works; plus, duels were all about reputation and it was seen socially as a means of restoring that reputation if it had been damaged.

But from a logical perspective, the validity of the claims is actually independent of the results of the duel.

If Carl thinks 2+2=4 and Dan thinks it is five, it does not become five if Dan beats Carl up.

No you didn't; please answer this question:

No, you can reread the answers.

Legal murder is an oxymoron.

That’s nice.

My point still stands.

I ignored your discussion about you. I am not here to talk about you.

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O