Sheriff's Jail Log... - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By ingliz
Potemkin wrote:what all these societies had in common was a shared economic and cultural backwardness

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?”

Make PoFo great again!

:p
BigSteve wrote:How does the county make money off the fact that I laugh at these idiots?

No one said the county did.

Go back and reread the thread more carefully if you want to address this.

No, it doesn't.

The only people who do that are those too stupid to understand that this is merely showing the public who's been arrested. Nothing more, nothing less...

Yes, it does.

For example, you have been going on and on abut how the guy in the OP committed a crime and deserved to be beaten. Has he been found guilty in a court of law?

Please enlighten us on which companies do that. In the case of my county, the photos are removed by the Sheriff's office once the individual gets bailed out or is arraigned...

This information has already been provided.

How?

These idiots already have their faces strewn across the internet. What are the police going to do in addition to that? Furthermore, how would the police use them for "personal reasons"?

Imagine a cop named Steve wants to harass Joe, because Joe ended up marrying Steve’s high school sweetheart, and Steve is jealous. He dishonestly claims Joe broke the law, beats him up, and publishes the photo. Joe then spends tons of money and time clearing his name.

Well, the courts here disagree with you. This is perfectly legal and Constitutional. Having a photo posted on the internet, as a result of being arrested, is hardly an invasion of privacy...

The lack of privacy comes from the fact that the photo is there for years.
ingliz wrote:“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?”

Make PoFo great again!

:p

I am not a cultural relativist, ingliz. For example, would you say that the culture of the slave-owning society of the antebellum Deep South was as good as the culture of Athens in, say, 400 BC? Hmm? :)

No, I am not a cultural relativist, and I suspect that neither are you, ingliz. Some cultures can indeed be described as "primitive". This is not to say that the inhabitants of those societies are inferior as individuals or that they are forever doomed to be backward because of bad genes or some such nonsense. But expecting a poor farmer in, say, rural China to support things like trial by jury or gay marriage is a trifle unrealistic, wouldn't you agree?
By ingliz
@Potemkin

I was channeling my inner Trump thinking this thread had moved to Gorkiiy.

My bad, shouldn't take the piss out of our Trumpist friends in an on topic forum thread.

;)
By Potemkin
ingliz wrote:@Potemkin

I was channeling my inner Trump thinking this thread had moved to Gorkiiy.

My bad, shouldn't take the piss out of our Trumpist friends in an on topic forum thread.

;)

Fair enough. Lol. :)
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:No one said the county did.

The comment was made that someone makes money off of it. Since the county is the only one with rights to use those photos, it would be illegal for anyone else to make money off of them...

Yes, it does. For example, you have been going on and on abut how the guy in the OP committed a crime and deserved to be beaten. Has he been found guilty in a court of law?

No, but the purpose isn't to show those people who've been convicted.

There's no question the guy broke into the business. There's a security video of him breaking glass of the door. Did he swing first? Maybe, maybe not. But I'll defer to a business owner before some scumbag who breaks into a business.

And, again, these photos are removed by the Sheriff's office once the individual bails out or is arraigned. That being said, an arrest record is a matter of public record, and these photos are a part of that record...

Imagine a cop named Steve wants to harass Joe, because Joe ended up marrying Steve’s high school sweetheart, and Steve is jealous. He dishonestly claims Joe broke the law, beats him up, and publishes the photo. Joe then spends tons of money and time clearing his name.

That's a fascinating little, completely irrelevant scenario, but that's not what's happened in this guy's case, so it doesn't deserve to even be discussed...

The lack of privacy comes from the fact that the photo is there for years.

No, it's not. The Sheriff's Department removes the photo once the person posts bail or is arraigned. I don't know why that's so difficult for you to understand...
Rich wrote:So that's most interesting. What's notable about Sumer, often thought of the as the first civilisation is the incredibly high levels of urbanisation, maybe 80 or 90%. Why did everyone live in the cities? For protection. The problem with Sumer is that it was small government. Small city states that could only protect its citizens from raiders by housing them and the grain accumulation inside the city walls. It was only the big government empires that succeeded Sumer that were able to offer sufficient protection to allow a rural agrarian society.

Absolutely right. Neither the Sumerians nor the Akkadians ever really solved the problem of the nomadic tribes surrounding them. They were an island of civilisation in a sea of barbarism, and eventually the tide would wash away any castles they built in the sand. Legend has it that even Cyrus the Great - the founder of the Persian Empire and the greatest conqueror of other civilisations who had ever lived up to that time - was defeated and killed by one such nomadic tribe. The same fate even befell as mighty a civilisation as the Roman Empire even as recently as a millennium and a half ago. The point is that the conditions which prevailed on the American Frontier in the 18th and 19th centuries actually prevailed everywhere until very recently. The American Frontier gave modern civilisation a taste of what things had been like for the ancient Sumerians even in their own heartland. And this, of course, is why even such 'enlightened' law givers as Hammurabi of Babylonia wrote their laws in blood. Almost every offence was punished by death or, if they feeling lenient, maiming. Criminals, by definition, had no rights.

I think I now understand the incredible vision of the American founders. I think right from the beginning they wanted to create the biggest government the world had ever seen. They were deeply unhappy with the lack of militarist aggression and expansionism of the British monarchy and government. The British were rabid peace mongers, a bit like the Israelis after 1967, or Bismark, constantly giving back the territories they captured from the French and other European territories. They also made ridiculously generous peace treaties with the (American) Indians. And even more stupidly seemed interested in honouring them, even when they had served their usefulness.

The founders balanced their desire for big government with the protection of the Slave owning elite. Again the 1808 transatlantic slave trade guarantee was a clever balancing of the business needs of the deep south with its voracious need to import labour, a bit like the British NHS and the less profitable, but less deadly near South that wanted to farm slaves for export to the Deep South as a product.

The American Revolution certainly unleashed something powerful and unprecedented in the North American continent. It's likely that, without the Revolution, large parts of what is now the continental United States would still be independent American Indian nations.
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:Absolutely right. Neither the Sumerians nor the Akkadians ever really solved the problem of the nomadic tribes surrounding them. They were an island of civilisation in a sea of barbarism, and eventually the tide would wash away any castles they built in the sand. Legend has it that even Cyrus the Great - the founder of the Persian Empire and the greatest conqueror of other civilisations who had ever lived up to that time - was defeated and killed by one such nomadic tribe. The same fate even befell as mighty a civilisation as the Roman Empire even as recently as a millennium and a half ago. The point is that the conditions which prevailed on the American Frontier in the 18th and 19th centuries actually prevailed everywhere until very recently. The American Frontier gave modern civilisation a taste of what things had been like for the ancient Sumerians even in their own heartland. And this, of course, is why even such 'enlightened' law givers as Hammurabi of Babylonia wrote their laws in blood. Almost every offence was punished by death or, if they feeling lenient, maiming. Criminals, by definition, had no rights.

The American Revolution certainly unleashed something powerful and unprecedented in the North American continent. It's likely that, without the Revolution, large parts of what is now the continental United States would still be independent American Indian nations.

You guys know we're talking about some dipshit who got his ass kicked after breaking into a local eatery, right?
BigSteve wrote:The comment was made that someone makes money off of it. Since the county is the only one with rights to use those photos, it would be illegal for anyone else to make money off of them...

No, but the purpose isn't to show those people who've been convicted.

As far as I can tell, there is no purpose.

There's no question the guy broke into the business. There's a security video of him breaking glass of the door. Did he swing first? Maybe, maybe not. But I'll defer to a business owner before some scumbag who breaks into a business.

You did not answer the question.

Anyway...

Can you provide the background for every person in all of these photos?

No? And yet people sit their and judge them with their morning coffee and treat them as criminals.

And, again, these photos are removed by the Sheriff's office once the individual bails out or is arraigned. That being said, an arrest record is a matter of public record, and these photos are a part of that record...

That's a fascinating little, completely irrelevant scenario, but that's not what's happened in this guy's case, so it doesn't deserve to even be discussed...

I am not discussing just this one particular case.

Back to what I was actually discussing:

The cops can abuse this for personal reasons.

No, it's not. The Sheriff's Department removes the photo once the person posts bail or is arraigned. I don't know why that's so difficult for you to understand...

By Potemkin
BigSteve wrote:You guys know we're talking about some dipshit who got his ass kicked after breaking into a local eatery, right?

Lol. I'm a Poindexter, what do you expect BigSteve? You know what we pointy-heads are like. Lol. ;)
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:This information has already been provided.

Okay, Rainman. You make no sense...

As far as I can tell, there is no purpose.

Well, then it's lucky for us that your opinion means nothing...

Can you provide the background for every person in all of these photos?

Nope, don't have to...

And yet people sit their and judge them with their morning coffee and treat them as criminals.

Every person on that site is innocent until proven guilty. I don't judge them as criminals. I judge them as dipshits. That's my prerogative...

I am not discussing just this one particular case.

I know. You want to discuss some made up bullshit scenario...

Back to what I was actually discussing:

The cops can abuse this for personal reasons.

Since you've completely failed at explaining how, there's no reason to believe it would be done.

You need to wrap your head around the fact that this is perfectly Constitutional and legal. The fact that some guy in Canada doesn't like it means dick.

Oh, and you still haven't addressed the fact that the photos aren't on the site for years. They're not. If you go to that site the photo of the guy in the OP is no longer there...
BigSteve wrote:Okay, Rainman. You make no sense...

Well, then it's lucky for us that your opinion means nothing...

Nope, don't have to...

Every person on that site is innocent until proven guilty. I don't judge them as criminals. I judge them as dipshits. That's my prerogative...

I know. You want to discuss some made up bullshit scenario...

Since you've completely failed at explaining how, there's no reason to believe it would be done.

You need to wrap your head around the fact that this is perfectly Constitutional and legal. The fact that some guy in Canada doesn't like it means dick.

Oh, and you still haven't addressed the fact that the photos aren't on the site for years. They're not. If you go to that site the photo of the guy in the OP is no longer there...

Since you have no argument or rebuttals, and have ignored the information that shows that you are incorrect and has already been provided in this thread, there is no further reason to discuss this with you.

—————————

If public humiliation is due to rural and “backward” societies (which seems to fit the facts), then what is it about more “enlightened” societies that have done away with it?

And why does the USA still do it?
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:Since you have no argument or rebuttals, and have ignored the information that shows that you are incorrect and has already been provided in this thread, there is no further reason to discuss this with you.

But you will, because I'd imagine life gets pretty lonely in that basement.

You've said those photos are there for years. They're not. In reality, most are gone within a day.

So you simply don't know what you're talking about. You're just frozen with fear at the very idea of admitting you're wrong.

There's nothing to rebut. There's nothing to argue. Your objections to this are far more likely rooted in the fact that I support it than with you having any real problem with it, considering the fact that you've offered no compelling argument as to why it shouldn't happen.

If I said water was wet you'd argue otherwise...
By BigSteve
Sooner or later we'll find someone who got his ass beat by a lefty...

By Potemkin
BigSteve wrote:Sooner or later we'll find someone who got his ass beat by a lefty...

Search no further BigSteve....

:D
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:Search no further BigSteve....

I'd hardly call that an ass beating. Didn't even knock the guy down.

No, that's more like some cowardly pussy sucker punching someone...
By Potemkin
BigSteve wrote:I'd hardly call that an ass beating. Didn't even knock the guy down.

No, that's more like some cowardly pussy sucker punching someone...

Uh-huh.... :)
By BigSteve
Here's an upstanding citizen:

He gets arrested on November 23 for larceny, and then nine days later he's arrested for a probation violation.

The nice thing about the probation violation is that there's no bail. Your ass sits in the tank until you go before the judge.

If people don't want to be publicly shamed, perhaps they should be smarter...
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]