If we all lived like the Amish... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Would we be a more moral, ethical and sustainable society overall?

Yes some of their bible-thumping beliefs are archaic, but imagine the socioeconomic impact of everybody having a community they belong to, that provides for their healthcare and material well being. Amish churches typically cover medical costs into the six figures for all members of their congregation-no need for monthly health insurance. Homelessness is not a thing, divorce with its destructive outcomes is not a thing, drug abuse, poverty, etc. None of it. What's more their population doubles every 10-15 years and all members are free to leave and never be seen again. Yet most that do come back when they are ready to marry...It's not a restrictive cult.

How can such large families (typically 10+ children) sustain such a functional society sidestepping so many societal problems? There must be some credit to their system. Is this how a Moralistic ideology actually plays out in practice? By doing, implementing the ideas?

Elsewhere I see a whole lot of moralizing, a whole zero positive outcome.
Igor Antunov wrote:Would we be a more moral, ethical and sustainable society overall?

No, we would not necessarily be a more moral, ethical or sustainable society because deviants or rebels always exist. Some would call them mutations. Imperfections exist in nature and that is just a part of life. There would always be groups who oppose the majority rule. Even in Amish circles, there are those who leave that life to be part of the secular society. I have read some accounts by former Amish women who complained about the patriarchal society and how imprisoning it felt. I really do not think that any independent or strong women in the 21st century would want to live as an Amish woman. That would be several large steps backwards.

I am at least 50% Chinese and I would not want to live in a traditional Chinese society where women are viewed as less than men. I remember hearing that the Chinese used to drown girl babies in the 90s. The old practices like binding feet or putting gold rings on the neck are just antiquated and cruel.

Of course you as a man would like the sound of living like in the old days because the old days favored the men. Basically, women were silent and their main function was to reproduce. Men had more power and women had to listen and obey. Only men owned property or could own a business.

You can keep on thinking that the Amish got it all figured out, but if they had it figured out, why are there few Amish communities in existence? In time, the Amish might disappear like the dinosaurs.
The Amish population is booming. Their only weakness is they are ardent pacifists, so they could be destroyed by an outside group at a whim. Something like the Amish, less restrictive and not pacifist.

There are certain biological roles to be played that strengthen society overall. You may think men have it easy but we have nobody to complain or vent to outside of the immediate family and we are expected to sacrifice our health and lives at a whim, women are not and have endless social support groups to run to. I think western society is collapsing right now precisely because it has given women too few nuclear family responsibilities.
Igor Antunov wrote:The Amish population is booming. Their only weakness is they are ardent pacifists, so they could be destroyed by an outside group at a whim. Something like the Amish, less restrictive and not pacifist.

That's their only weakness? How about isolating themselves from the modern world? If the world was Amish, then major technologies would rust like electric vehicles and robots. The Amish are simple and outdated. Then again, the Internet would be turned off. Have you ever heard of Amish being into online gaming? :lol:

There are certain biological roles to be played that strengthen society overall. You may think men have it easy but we have nobody to complain or vent to outside of the immediate family and we are expected to sacrifice our health and lives at a whim, women are not and have endless social support groups to run to. I think western society is collapsing right now precisely because it has given women too few nuclear family responsibilities.

I did not say men have it easy, but the Amish life is very much about keeping the women subservient and meek, like many other traditional cultures in Asia and in the Middle East.

The Amish do not seem like the complaining sort. They believe in their religion. I used to be a Christian and I remember hearing that all woes and fears could be offered to God and He would grant peace and forgiveness. He would make me feel calm.

I would argue that western society is broken because there is no spiritual health. Western society is too much about looking good, having lots of money and having lots of sex. If people practiced a religion like Buddhism then society would be more introspective and less extroverted and corrupt. In history we can see the Romans fell in part because they had gotten so corrupt and so focused on worldly pleasure. But who wants to give up on pleasure? So the lessons of the past have not been learned and the same mistake repeats itself.
The Hutterites are very successful, too, and they use modern technology.

@Igor Antunov How do you know that they do not have social problems? A population that's booming doesn't necessarily mean they don't have other problems.
Igor Antunov wrote:Would we be a more moral, ethical and sustainable society overall?

Yes some of their bible-thumping beliefs are archaic, but imagine the socioeconomic impact of everybody having a community they belong to, that provides for their healthcare and material well being. Amish churches typically cover medical costs into the six figures for all members of their congregation-no need for monthly health insurance. Homelessness is not a thing, divorce with its destructive outcomes is not a thing, drug abuse, poverty, etc. None of it. What's more their population doubles every 10-15 years and all members are free to leave and never be seen again. Yet most that do come back when they are ready to marry...It's not a restrictive cult.

How can such large families (typically 10+ children) sustain such a functional society sidestepping so many societal problems? There must be some credit to their system. Is this how a Moralistic ideology actually plays out in practice? By doing, implementing the ideas?

Elsewhere I see a whole lot of moralizing, a whole zero positive outcome.

I think you are totally right. You are a genius. I suggest you maximize your happiness by detaching yourself from technology, saying good bye to facebook, internet, forums and computers and joining your nearest amish community as one more of the flock. I am sure after the in-depth analysis that you have performed, you are very confident that you are indeed correct that Amish are very happy indeed and that the best course of action for you would be to follow the path of the Amish. I will be very sad to see you go, I wish you the best and may your Cow yield the tastiest milk and your wife bring you the most kids. I'll miss you! Bye.

MistyTiger wrote:That's their only weakness? How about isolating themselves from the modern world? If the world was Amish, then major technologies would rust like electric vehicles and robots. The Amish are simple and outdated. Then again, the Internet would be turned off. Have you ever heard of Amish being into online gaming? :lol:

I did not say men have it easy, but the Amish life is very much about keeping the women subservient and meek, like many other traditional cultures in Asia and in the Middle East.

The Amish do not seem like the complaining sort. They believe in their religion. I used to be a Christian and I remember hearing that all woes and fears could be offered to God and He would grant peace and forgiveness. He would make me feel calm.

I would argue that western society is broken because there is no spiritual health. Western society is too much about looking good, having lots of money and having lots of sex. If people practiced a religion like Buddhism then society would be more introspective and less extroverted and corrupt. In history we can see the Romans fell in part because they had gotten so corrupt and so focused on worldly pleasure. But who wants to give up on pleasure? So the lessons of the past have not been learned and the same mistake repeats itself.

Godstud wrote:The Hutterites are very successful, too, and they use modern technology.

@Igor Antunov How do you know that they do not have social problems? A population that's booming doesn't necessarily mean they don't have other problems.

Please I beg you, don't discourage him :lol: .
XogGyux wrote:I think you are totally right. You are a genius. I suggest you maximize your happiness by detaching yourself from technology, saying good bye to facebook, internet, forums and computers and joining your nearest amish community as one more of the flock. I am sure after the in-depth analysis that you have performed, you are very confident that you are indeed correct that Amish are very happy indeed and that the best course of action for you would be to follow the path of the Amish. I will be very sad to see you go, I wish you the best and may your Cow yield the tastiest milk and your wife bring you the most kids. I'll miss you! Bye.

Nope. You can have the best of all worlds. This guy has all the tech.

Video games and social media are easy to drop when you've got an epic farm and household with 10 kids to run.
Igor Antunov wrote:Nope. You can have the best of all worlds. This guy has all the tech.

Video games and social media are easy to drop when you've got an epic farm and household with 10 kids to run.

Yeah, I figured on your first post that you were full of shit and dind't believe the crap that you were spewing. Like must of your posts, you are just trying to get attention. Mommy issues?
Godstud wrote:10 kids? :eek: That sounds like hell on earth.

Watch the video and follow up videos. The kids are low maintenance because a) the wife deals with all that shit, and b) they have a huge tract of land where they can run around in.
Igor Antunov wrote:Watch the video and follow up videos. The kids are low maintenance because a) the wife deals with all that shit, and b) they have a huge tract of land where they can run around in.

I don't know whats worse. That you see kids as pets "low maintenance" or that you are a misogynistic asshole that thinks the pets are the wife's chores.

I bet you have a very punchable face. :lol:
XogGyux wrote:I don't know whats worse. That you see kids as pets "low maintenance" or that you are a misogynistic asshole that thinks the pets are the wife's chores.

I bet you have a very punchable face. :lol:

Yes kids are a mother's responsibility to nurture. That's why women have lactating tits, better facial reading and higher empathy, noob. Biology is biology. If it offends you go wear a dress or something.
Igor Antunov wrote: Homelessness is not a thing, divorce with its destructive outcomes is not a thing, drug abuse, poverty, etc. None of it.

You never seen Devils Playground ;).

Good old classic documentary about Amish teenagers.
Igor Antunov wrote:Yes kids are a mother's responsibility to nurture. That's why women have lactating tits, better facial reading and higher empathy, noob. Biology is biology. If it offends you go wear a dress or something.

So men are only needed to provide the swimmers? Umm, right. That sounds like something out of Trump's rotten mouth. And we can see how um niiiice his ugly kids turned out. :eek: :roll:

Ewwww.

Men can be empathetic and helpful. Igor is just one of the standoffish types who is more suited to babysitting computers than raising 10+ kids. He probably hates drooly babies. Believe it or not, many women find it sexy if a man truly wants to be involved in the child rearing process. If I wanted children, the man would have to show a willingness to be involved or I would ditch him.
MistyTiger wrote:So men are only needed to provide the swimmers? Umm, right. That sounds like something out of Trump's rotten mouth. And we can see how um niiiice his ugly kids turned out. :eek: :roll:

Ewwww.

Men can be empathetic and helpful. Igor is just one of the standoffish types who is more suited to babysitting computers than raising 10+ kids. He probably hates drooly babies. Believe it or not, many women find it sexy if a man truly wants to be involved in the child rearing process. If I wanted children, the man would have to show a willingness to be involved or I would ditch him.

Men can also install wombs and give birth to kids eventually.

This was never my point. I'm saying women are better at dealing with kids, therefore women should spend more time raising them. Of course a fathers role is to be right there doing the same, albeit less effectively so focus should be on other things. We need to shape society to the respective strengths of the sexes, not their weaknesses.
The thing is Igor, you can live with the Amish. Just move to Pennsylvania, do all the bible work, prove your worth and in time be accepted by the community. But something tells me you won't do it. :hmm:

The truth is the Amish do a lot of things right which is why they appeal to people. Perhaps they are even the perfect Communist. But they also do a lot of things that people wouldn't like. Forget gender roles, which is debatable anyway because a lot of women and men do instinctively set amongst themselves anyway. The main issue is they are religious. Like really religious. Your existence is to God and if you doing something the elders don't like you are basically ostracised. Then there is technology. No games or PoFo any more. Best be picking up those books instead. Especially the bible which you need to know inside out btw. And manual labor, thats right, everything old school. You are also isolated. Best not like entertainment or a few drinks on a hot day. You can look forward to watching your kids playing in an empty field as you haven't got a TV any more. In other words, the things everyone wants from society like a home, debt free, shared amenities, healthcare, schooling, community and whatever else the Amish do that you like (and so do I), you trade all that for your liberty, self worth, luxury and freedom.

I have never seen this on TV, so I can't imagine […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If there is no evidence, then the argument that th[…]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-pro[…]

Wishing to see the existence of a massively nucle[…]