We need to STOP giving alleged rape victims any money - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
We need to STOP giving alleged rape victims any money

In recent years there have been a huge number of cases involving women claiming a wealthy celebrity raped them and then trying to sue them to get large amounts of money.

Very frequently, after one woman accuses a celebrity of rape and it appears in the news, scores of other women come forward also claiming to have been raped by that celebrity in the past.
But is it possible these women are just trying to hop aboard the gravy train to easy money?

This entire thing is the result of the "Me too" movement, where everyone is expected to automatically believe women.

If a woman claims a man raped her, and there's no other evidence besides her testimony, I have no problem punishing the man, with maybe 6 years in prison, for example.

But DO NOT give her money. Do not give her any money!!! Nothing will incentivize false rape accusations more than handing out free money. And these women know these wealthy celebrities have lots of money. The court systems are wacky and will sometimes pay out millions of dollars to a woman who was allegedly sexually abused, if the perpetrator was wealthy.

Some people will naively say that the accuser has an incentive not to lie, because of if it's determined she is lying she will be punished. But it's very rare that a false accuser ever gets punished. Even if they strongly believe the woman is lying, lots of times they will not charge her, or even if they do charge her she will only get a tiny little fraction of the punishment the alleged perpetrator would have got. This is because no one wants to punish a woman when there's a possibility she might be telling the truth, no one wants to do anything that might dissuade other women from coming forward.
And women often do not think logically. If there's an opportunity for some easy money dangling in front of them, there are many people who would just want to grab that, without giving much thought to the consequences or risks. That is just how crime often works.

Some of these women may even convince themselves they are "helping" other women. Because if one woman accuses a man of raping her, maybe no one will believe her. But if several women are accusing that same men of raping them, people will be much more likely to believe that man was a rapist. So in the minds of some of these women they are "helping" another woman to receive justice, and getting some free money for themselves in the process.

More than half the time these men just agree to pay the accuser a large amount of money in a settlement, because they're worried if it actually goes to court there's a risk they could be ordered to pay out much more money. Whether the man is really guilty or not.

The amount of money a woman should be paid should not be dependent upon how wealthy her alleged perpetrator happened to be, but in the current screwed up court system that is exactly how it is.
But the Progressive Left will balk and squeal at any notion that we should curtail this and cut women off from this money.
Fasces wrote:What is with you and rape? :eh:

In politics, uncomfortable subjects often have issues because they are the type of subjects the majority of people do not want to give much thought to about the details.
As a result, oftentimes illogical or unjust systems are left in place, simply because the collective consciousness of society is reluctant to shine a light there or dwell on it.
Puffer Fish wrote:In politics, uncomfortable subjects often have issues because they are the type of subjects the majority of people do not want to give much thought to about the details.
As a result, oftentimes illogical or unjust systems are left in place, simply because the collective consciousness of society is reluctant to shine a light there or dwell on it.

Yes.

When it comes to rape, current legal paradigms make it almost impossible for men to be charged with rape. This is one of the many reasons why so few rapes and sexual assaults lead to investigations, let alone convictions.

Also, this thing where you want to stop women from suing others but not men seems sexist.
Pants-of-dog wrote:When it comes to rape, current legal paradigms make it almost impossible for men to be charged with rape. This is one of the many reasons why so few rapes and sexual assaults lead to investigations, let alone convictions.

I don't think it is.
I think the real reason is that a large percentage of the overall total women who get targeted for rape are vulnerable categories of women, who the rest of society will be less likely to believe. Like drug addicts, prostitutes, etc. And that might even be part of the reason these women are so much more likely to be targeted, because the men view them as worthless (or less valuable than other women), and also their stories will be less likely to be believed, or people won't care as much.

Despite that being an issue, that doesn't mean there's not a problem on the other side.

Anyway, my overall point is that these other women affect the overall statistics, and make the statistics appear to show that women are not believed, even though that's not really true.

It is possible for the pendulum to swing too far in the other direction.

And plus, think about it, if everyone knows a woman stands to get a large amount of money from her rape claims, wouldn't that make it a little bit less likely the accused man would ever get sentenced to prison time?
That's not really going to help real rape victims, is it?
story of a man who ended up getting sentenced to 10 years in prison because the woman was trying to get money:

"Man falsely accused of rape"
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=183070

He only ended up serving about 7 of those years in prison though, and then probably another 3 years on probation, under restrictive conditions.

Even if you don't want to believe this story happened, realise it is totally plausible and could happen. There are probably all sorts of other real stories like this.

You think the news always reports all these stories? I doubt they even report 10 percent of cases like that.
Puffer Fish wrote:I don't think it is.
I think the real reason is that a large percentage of the overall total women who get targeted for rape are vulnerable categories of women, who the rest of society will be less likely to believe. Like drug addicts, prostitutes, etc. And that might even be part of the reason these women are so much more likely to be targeted, because the men view them as worthless (or less valuable than other women), and also their stories will be less likely to be believed, or people won't care as much.

That is another series of reasons why men almost always get away with rape and sexual assault.

So you are supporting my point.

Despite that being an issue, that doesn't mean there's not a problem on the other side.

What problem is there?

Anyway, my overall point is that these other women affect the overall statistics, and make the statistics appear to show that women are not believed, even though that's not really true.

Female sex workers and drug addicts are still women and still get assaulted. It is stupid to claim that if we remove their numbers, the remainder will be more correct.

It is possible for the pendulum to swing too far in the other direction.

And plus, think about it, if everyone knows a woman stands to get a large amount of money from her rape claims, wouldn't that make it a little bit less likely the accused man would ever get sentenced to prison time?
That's not really going to help real rape victims, is it?

I think you do not know the difference between a civil trial and a criminal trial.

Please show me that you do so that I know if I need to explain it to you.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

He was "one of the good ones". Of cours[…]

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]