Why so important to change gender if gender doesn't matter? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Puberty is a very confusing time that all humans experience. But people like you think it's healthy to stall/stop it, which results in sterilisation and what will be a lot of very angry/upset adults in the coming years, like the one above you have repeatedly ignored. If you paid any attention to the kids who are de-transitioning and being vocal on social media today about the lies they were fed, you would know this. But you're only here to sell puberty blockers and mutilating surgery to kids. So spare me any pretence of being kind, when you support lying to children and child abuse.
Anyway:

While gender is a social construct, this does not mean that gender is unimportant.

Conversion therapy does not work. You cannot psychologically convince a trans person they are cis.

Depictions of neurodivergent kids as easily manipulated fodder for evil doctors is ableist.
Pants-of-dog wrote:You cannot psychologically convince a trans person they are cis.

You can encourage them to be fixed in reality, something we all have to accept whether we like it or not. We don't tell anorexics they're fat and we don't tell people with phantom limbs issues to cut off their arms and legs for the same reasons.

"Cis" and "trans" are made-up identities with no bearing on reality, so anyway...
Unthinking Majority wrote:Someone jail this child immediately:

:lol:

Which reminds me, it's funny when you see men performing womanhood complain online about how a kid can see them for what they really are.

Kids know the score, those that haven't been brainwashed by this nonsense. Throughout evolution we have been trained to understand the distinction in the two sexes and it is something we understand instinctively.
Maybe when people misgender they are not using pronouns to describe your gender but your biological sex.

I don't have an issue calling a trans woman "she" if they want, I don't care, but they should understand that if you look like a man in a dress and makeup someone might refer to you as a man since biologically you look like a man.

If I were trans I probably wouldn't care what pronouns anyone called me because i would be tired of correcting people and just wear whatever I wanted and be done with it.
https://www.science.org/content/article ... on-therapy

A large, first-of-its-kind study has found that transgender people who reported receiving so-called conversion therapy were more than twice as likely to have attempted suicide during their lifetime than their peers who had engaged in other types of therapy, NBC News reports. And for those who were younger than age 10 when they underwent attempts by practitioners to align their gender identity with their sex assigned at birth, the relative risk of attempted suicide was more than four times as great. The study, based on a 2015 survey of nearly 28,000 transgender people, also found that conversion therapy survivors were 1.5 times more likely than peers who underwent other kinds of therapy to have experienced "severe psychological distress" in the month before the survey, researchers reported yesterday in JAMA Psychiatry. Another important finding: There was no significant difference in risk for people who reported receiving conversion therapy from religious advisers versus secular therapists.

Pants-of-dog wrote:https://www.science.org/content/article/new-study-reveals-risks-transgender-conversion-therapy

A large, first-of-its-kind study has found that transgender people who reported receiving so-called conversion therapy were more than twice as likely to have attempted suicide during their lifetime than their peers who had engaged in other types of therapy, NBC News reports. And for those who were younger than age 10 when they underwent attempts by practitioners to align their gender identity with their sex assigned at birth, the relative risk of attempted suicide was more than four times as great. The study, based on a 2015 survey of nearly 28,000 transgender people, also found that conversion therapy survivors were 1.5 times more likely than peers who underwent other kinds of therapy to have experienced "severe psychological distress" in the month before the survey, researchers reported yesterday in JAMA Psychiatry. Another important finding: There was no significant difference in risk for people who reported receiving conversion therapy from religious advisers versus secular therapists.

1) Why are you posting about "conversion therapy" without anyone arguing for it? This is called a strawman.
2) This was not a study and it was not even a survey, it is a meta-analysis of pre-existing surveys about psychological issues and suicide attempts among transgender people(41% of them according to the paper have attempted suicide and not because of "conversion therapy").
3) This meta-analysis does not say what neither you nor the sites you cite claim that it does and are all engaging in meta-semantics, redefining terms to mean different things even within the same article.

Examples in the same paragraph:

Apple:

First, we found that over 40% of trans adolescents living in family environments that are unsupportive of their gender identity attempted suicide by the age of 18

Orange:

We also found that hormone replacement therapy significantly improves the mental health of trans youths.

Suicide rates of people with unsupportive families vs : improved mental health instead of reduced suicide rates.

Same paragraph continues, observe the lingo:

In comparing differences in suicide attempts between trans youths who started HRT a year apart from each other, we found that both groups experienced similar increases in suicide attempts over the five years before initiating treatment but experience a significant drop the year they start treatment. Overall, initiating hormone therapy led to a 14.4% reduction in attempting suicide for trans youths.

1) The study is no longer comparing the same 2 groups(conversion therapy group vs hormone therapy group) but another set of groups, those who received hormone treatment a year apart from each other. Hormone Group 2015 vs Hormone Group 2016. :knife:
2) 14.4% reduction of suicide rate between these 2 groups on the first year of hormone therapy alone. Not double the rate of suicide between conversion therapy and hormone therapy group as claimed by various pundits inclding the above extract cited by Pants.

More examples of semantic acrobatics:

Gender affirmation includes processes that help a person feel socially and physically aligned with their gender identity. Affirmation could include social changes, such as going by a gender-affirming name and pronouns, using gender-aligned bathrooms, or wearing gender-affirming clothing. Affirmation could also include medical interventions, such as medications to delay the onset of puberty, hormones that help align physical characteristics with gender identity, or, for trans adults, gender-affirming surgeries.

1) "Conversion therapy" is redefined to mean as not allowing your child to wear different clothes & change its name and pronoun. While hormone therapy group is the distant possibility that "could be included".

2) Quite clearly, they are looking at families who support their kids vs those who treat them like shit*(another strawman), more importantly the hormone therapy group is the minority report(read: "could also include"), yet the headlines claims that hormone therapy reduces the risk of attempted suicide by half when compared to conversion therapy(redefined to mean just having assholes for parents basically), or that the rates are double. But it's a shameless lie as now proven.

In fact, the "study" itself writes explicitly that hormone treatment reduced the suicide rate only 14.4% and only in the first year of hormone therapy when it is still a novelty for the individual.

We found that supportive family environments and hormone replacement therapy that affirms a transgender child’s gender identity decrease their risk of suicide or running away from home, whereas unsupportive family environments and conversion therapy that denies their gender identity increase these risks.

For these reasons and more:

Clinton Anderson, director of the Office on Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity at the American Psychological Association, said the study has limits because it does not prove causality. He also said the results suggesting that people who underwent treatment as children were at greater risk may be misleading, “because those who report having received treatment for gender identity by a professional before age 10 are likely to be different from those who receive gender identity treatment later.”

I have to give it to these people though, their propaganda is very well designed and unless you look closely, it is quite easy to fall for such obvious lies.
noemon wrote:I have to give it to these people though, their propaganda is very well designed and unless you look closely, it is quite easy to fall for such obvious lies.

Exactly. I don't even bother to look into their phony studies to sell a lie. They have to use emotional blackmail like made-up suicide rates and whatnot to defend the mutilation of children because they have little else. And I'm fully aware a lot of the so-called scientists and doctors have been bought by this ideology, because there's a lot of big money behind it, which Jennifer Bilek has investigated.

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be use[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Even in North America, the people defending the[…]

Yes, try meditating ALONE in nature since people […]