The new "sorry" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By QatzelOk

Classic "I'm sorry."

When I was a little kid a half a century ago, the word "sorry" was used to express regret and sadness at having injured someone else.

You felt something heavy in your heart, would spend some time probing your soul for what you had done wrong, how it negatively impacted others, and what words or gestures you could employ to compensate or erase the pain you had caused.

And along with compensating the victim(s), you would say, "I am sorry."

Post-modern "Sorry!"

Fast-forward to 2023...

A cellphone-clutching person barges her way through a crowd of people, bumping into them and causing friction, dropped objects, and other awkward social situations and discomfort.

When she quickly says "Sorry!" to each of her serial victims, she has not intention of stopping, mitigating, or compensating anyone. In fact, she seems to suggest that saying "sorry!" gives her permission to continue hurting other people.

This new post-modern "sorry" means: "Deal with this because I'm not going to change."

This is a very different animal we're dealing with today.

For young people who no longer remember what "sorry" used to be deployed for, here is an instruction on how to apologize old school style.

The Sorries

Expression.....................Definition...............................Equivalent non-verbal act

"I'm sorry" (classic).........."I regret what I have done.".......... Crying while gazing guiltily at victim

"Sorry!" (post-modern)....."Get used to this. I ain't changing!"..........Parking in a bike lane with blinkers on

soundtrack
By QatzelOk
Well guys, I'm really sorryTM if you didn't like this "old man shouts at cloud" thread.

So I will post another one. Exactly the same as this one.

And I will continue to do this... forever. That's how sorryTM I am.

By QatzelOk
With the new charity, you actually MAKE MONEY and you also DON'T HAVE TO HELP ANYONE ELSE.

The word "charity" like the word "sorry," has been re-invented in my lifetime, to mean almost exactly the opposite of what it orginally meant.

the Guardian wrote:How philanthropy benefits the super-rich
There are more philanthropists than ever before. Each year they give tens of billions to charitable causes. So how come inequality keeps rising?...

CBS News wrote:Get Really, Really Rich: Form a Non-Profit
I've always said that one of the easiest ways to fill your bank account, not to mention your retirement fund, is to found a charity or some other non-profit. Pick a cause -- Americans Against Bunions, The Stop Itching Campaign -- set up an office and solicit contributions from the public and corporate donors. (Manufacturers of bunion pads and anti-itching creams would be likely marks.) You spend a minuscule amount for, say, a secretary and maybe a couple of trips to Congress to advocate for bunion or itch research. Then you pay yourself an immense salary -- nothing like you'd get at Goldman Sachs, of course, but six figures plus...

Vox wrote:The charitable deduction is mostly for the rich.
A new study argues that’s by design.

...In the United States, if you donate money to charity, you can “deduct” it on your taxes — that is, you don’t have to pay taxes on the share of your income that you donated.

Unless you’re poor.

The way the charitable tax deduction is set up, lower-income Americans can’t really take advantage of it. Unless you earn a lot of money, it makes no financial sense to do your taxes in a way that lets you claim the charitable deduction...

"I'm really sorry if my charitable donations haven't helped anyone except me, myself and I. I really am sorry, me." *repeats the behavior infinitely*
Responsibility to protectTM

wiki wrote:...The Responsibility to Protect (R2P or RtoP) is a global political commitment which was endorsed by the United Nations General Assembly at the 2005 World Summit in order to address its four key concerns to prevent genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity. The doctrine is regarded as a unanimous and well-established international norm over the past two decades...

Examples of countries that have been "protected":

Libya (post-"protection")

Yemen (post-"protection")

Palestine (not in need of "protection")

However, it seems that Palestine does NOT require this "protection" from genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity. For some reason, they don't need protection, according to commercial news and to the current crop of Western politicians.

So here is a third word to cross-out in your English language dictionaries.

sorry
charity
protection

There might not be many English words left when this latest series of wars is over...
By Crantag
I've noticed something sort of related. The retort 'you're good' (stated in a smug tone) directed at any percieved subtle indication of token contrition. Like when two people walking inadvertently cross closely to one another. One may express a token courtesy by saying 'excuse me'. The other blurts, "you're good," probably quite pretentiously. It's sort of an equivalent meaning to "you're transgression has been duly acknowledge and an allowance has been granted."
By Crantag
Unthinking Majority wrote:This is the new "no worries"? I see no issues.

Perhaps if it wasn't so overused. I've felt compelled to almost saw 'yo, I wasn't apologizing for anything.' that and it just has an annoying ring to it.
By MistyTiger
There is another way to say "sorry", it's when someone says "my bad". "My bad" is a more informal way to say it particularly if you're like a millennial of Gen Z individual. I usually don't say "my bad".

Some people don't even say sorry. You'd think saying sorry is such a hard task for them.
By JohnRawls
@QatzelOk Canadians are Americans. Canada is the 51st state. Quebec is also America.
@JohnRawls

My wife has French Canadian ancestory and her grandmother spoke French. My wife is as American as any other American. She was born and raised in the state of Vermont.
By QatzelOk
Crantag wrote:I've noticed something sort of related. The retort 'you're good' (stated in a smug tone) directed at any percieved subtle indication of token contrition. Like when two people walking inadvertently cross closely to one another. One may express a token courtesy by saying 'excuse me'. The other blurts, "you're good," probably quite pretentiously. It's sort of an equivalent meaning to "you're transgression has been duly acknowledge and an allowance has been granted."

You're good.

I don't hear this very often in real life, but I do hear it in videoclips from the USA. I guess this popular expression isn't trending where I am yet.

But the use of the words "good" and "bad" in popular expressions like this (and "my bad")... seem to indicate a deterioration in everyone's general vocabulary. People are increasingly unable to find more nuanced adjectives to describe how they feel or to evaluate the actions of various people.

Two options: good or bad. We have no time or enough culture to get any more precise.

Plus good, double plus bad.... are just around the corner from this extremely generic expression.

No worries

I did hear this expression a lot from one co-worker when I worked at a college. Whenever I would express concern about something work-related, he would reassure me with "No worries."

This expression replaced "Don't worry," which is in the imperative tense, indicates that worrying is a verb that requires a subject. "Don't worry" is usually followed by reasons that one needn't worry.

When it is transmogrified to "No worries," it is indicating that the subject is no longer necessary to express the idea, and that there are absolutely no worry-worthy-things happening anywhere at this time.

No worries is more like "Nothing happening here, move along!" rather than Don't worry which is more like "I empathize with you and feel that you don't need to worry."

So this expression indicates a generalized loss of social empathy, and an inability to console other people with anything except pat phrases that you can quickly pull out of your ass.

JohnRawls wrote:@QatzelOk Canadians are Americans. Canada is the 51st state. Quebec is also America.

Irrelevant. The destruction of the English language will affect all English-speakers, especially Anglo-ass-kissers like yourself.
By JohnRawls
QatzelOk wrote:You're good.

I don't hear this very often in real life, but I do hear it in videoclips from the USA. I guess this popular expression isn't trending where I am yet.

But the use of the words "good" and "bad" in popular expressions like this (and "my bad")... seem to indicate a deterioration in everyone's general vocabulary. People are increasingly unable to find more nuanced adjectives to describe how they feel or to evaluate the actions of various people.

Two options: good or bad. We have no time or enough culture to get any more precise.

Plus good, double plus bad.... are just around the corner from this extremely generic expression.

No worries

I did hear this expression a lot from one co-worker when I worked at a college. Whenever I would express concern about something work-related, he would reassure me with "No worries."

This expression replaced "Don't worry," which is in the imperative tense, indicates that worrying is a verb that requires a subject. "Don't worry" is usually followed by reasons that one needn't worry.

When it is transmogrified to "No worries," it is indicating that the subject is no longer necessary to express the idea, and that there are absolutely no worry-worthy-things happening anywhere at this time.

No worries is more like "Nothing happening here, move along!" rather than Don't worry which is more like "I empathize with you and feel that you don't need to worry."

So this expression indicates a generalized loss of social empathy, and an inability to console other people with anything except pat phrases that you can quickly pull out of your ass.

Irrelevant. The destruction of the English language will affect all English-speakers, especially Anglo-ass-kissers like yourself.

What is Canada without America? How is the average Canadian different from an American? You should just merge together to live in one happy family.
By QatzelOk
JohnRawls wrote:What is Canada without America? How is the average Canadian different from an American? You should just merge together to live in one happy family.

We are merged together economically. And as for culture... economics are the only real culture of the USA.

Why do you think we care so little for the degradation of the English language?

And why everyone cares so much about "what the bankers will think of us?"

Other words that have been destroyed throughout the colonizing of the world include "savage, freedom, entitlement, liberal, progressive, racist" and there are many more to come because all we care about are numbers and pictures of dead politicians.

As long as "Federal Reserve" is spelled correctly, we're good.
By MistyTiger
QatzelOk wrote:You're good.

No worries

I hear "you're good" rarely. Usually a guy will say it. I don't mind it. It just seems odd to me. I shrug it off.

My ex bitch manager would say "no worries " and at first I believed her. But later, I knew she was the most uptight person at work. She would always worry and pretend she wasn't stressed out. She was a nutcase. But she does suffer from TMJ, which is caused by anxiety and jaw clenching. TMJ is tight masseter jaw in medical speak.
By JohnRawls
QatzelOk wrote:We are merged together economically. And as for culture... economics are the only real culture of the USA.

Why do you think we care so little for the degradation of the English language?

And why everyone cares so much about "what the bankers will think of us?"

Other words that have been destroyed throughout the colonizing of the world include "savage, freedom, entitlement, liberal, progressive, racist" and there are many more to come because all we care about are numbers and pictures of dead politicians.

As long as "Federal Reserve" is spelled correctly, we're good.

You are merged both culturally and economically. What do you watch? NHL? What do you eat? McDonalds? What do you drink? CocaCola? Who protects you? USA? What language do you mostly speak? English?

You are literally one and the same country almost kinda like Texas or California in the US.
By Godstud
No, @JohnRawls, Those are the stupidest things you've said in a very long time.

Canada is not like a state in the USA. Canada is not protected by the USA. Your ignorance is vast.

Canada's culture is as similar to USA's as Estonia's is. If you only look at the shallow surface you won't see the differences. I doubt you've even visited Canada in your life.
By Potemkin
Godstud wrote:No, @JohnRawls, Those are the stupidest things you've said in a very long time.

Canada is not like a state in the USA. Canada is not protected by the USA. Your ignorance is vast.

Canada's culture is as similar to USA's as Estonia's is. If you only look at the shallow surface you won't see the differences. I doubt you've even visited Canada in your life.

Canada has at least one thing in common with the USA, @Godstud - neither of you understand the concept of irony. Which is ironic really. :)
By Godstud
Don't try to use your weasel-words on me @JohnRawls! I am onto your deceptions! Using irony on me, in the morning, isn't very fair, either!
@Godstud

OF COURSE, the USA has PROTECTED Canda, especially during the Cold War against the Soviets. Do you think the Soviets with their vast nuclear arsenal and military power were ever afraid of Canada!? OF COURSE NOT. But the Soviets were afraid of the vast and powerful US nuclear arsenal and military power which was the reason why Canada is not speaking Russian today. You should be grateful to the USA Godstud. Because without us, your masters would be Russia or they have nuked you out of existence without consequence with a push of a button. Everybody knows this, except for Canadians because they can't face the facts.

@JohnRawls

Don't pay attention to Godstud. Not every Canuck agrees with Godstud.
By Godstud
:roll: @Neo Sheer poppycock. Canada is a Commonwealth country. Canada has a great many allies. Canada was never seen as a threat nor a target for the USSR. Canada has always had a very strong military for the amount of people we actually have in the country, but of course we're not as militaristic as Yanks. Canada still ranks in the top 20 amongst the strongest and best militaries in the world. Canada got rid of the nukes it had in 1984 because we didn't feel we needed them. Fuck off with your "speaking Russian" nonsense. It's idiotic and makes you look really STUPID.

Most Canadians know the reality(and would agree with me, unless they're stupid). You're just another arrogant and poorly educated Yank who thinks that the world revolves around the USA. :knife: Shove your flag in your ass! :lol:

Note: I served in the Canadian Infantry in the late 80s. I am well educated on Canadian military capacity in the Cold War.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]