Terminating disabled babies who probably won't survive and will be disabled - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
This is based on that recent case that happened in Texas.

There is a newborn baby who is diagnosed with a congenital genetic syndrome.

Doctors believe this baby will only have an 11% chance of living longer than one year,
a 9% chance of living to age 9, and a 7% chance of living to the age of 15.

Even if the child does survive, it will probably end up being mentally disabled.

But there's a 0.4% chance the child might end up having normal intelligence, and another 1% chance the child might just end up having rather low intelligence, equivalent to the dumbest 6% of the normal population.

Now, the question is, is it okay to just euthanize this baby, before it grows any further?
Hold a pillow over the baby's face until it suffocates, or maybe inject it with something to kill it?

And if it's not okay to do on a newborn baby, why would it be okay to do the same thing in the womb, when child has reached 20 weeks development, for example?

(This is based on the news story "Texas Supreme Court temporarily blocks pregnant woman from emergency abortion", CNN, by Ashley Killough, December 9, 2023.
All these statistics are accurate for a child diagnosed with the syndrome Trisomy 18.)

So let's suppose this is a newborn baby. Are you okay euthanizing it?

The following is a list of possible answers:
• Yes
• No
• Since it is such a complicated decision and I'm not sure, I think the mother should choose.
• Consent from both the mother and biological father should be required if they want to terminate it.
• Yes, unless a family volunteers to adopt it and provide care, then it's not okay.

I do have to point out that euthanizing disabled babies does seem just a little bit reminiscent of the Nazis.
But it's a "tough world" we live in, isn't it?

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]