Curtailing a Woman's Sexuality by Cutting off her Clitoris - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
It's very common in much of the Muslim World.
By some estimates, 50% of women in Egypt have had their private parts mutilated, usually done when they were a child of the age of 9 or 10.
In Somalia, 98% of women have been subject to genital cutting.

And with large numbers of refugees fleeing Somalia into Western Europe and the United States, it's happening there too.

"Female genital mutilation still rampant here"
The Horrors of Female Genital Mutilation have come to the UK, Ireland, and Sweden

Female Genital Mutilation on the Rise in the U.S.
American-born woman, daughter of immigrant parents, was forced to undergo "circumcision" when she was 7 years old
(UNDERGROUND: Risk of FGM Increasing for Women in the U.S., says CDC , ABC News, June 22, 2016 )

Women's Health:
'My Clitoris Was Cut Off When I Was 11'
"You never really get over female genital mutilation. You just learn to live with it."
https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/ ... -survivor/

Ever wondered what it's like for a woman who's been "circumcised" ?
It's not good.

Someone cut out a significant part of me: A woman on what it's like living with female genital mutilation​

My mother and I did once speak about what happened to me when I was seven. I was sixteen, and a woman within earshot at my Houston mosque had asked the woman next to her if her daughter had the “operation” already, and if she’d gotten it done in the U.S. or back in India.

I’m not sure what I googled, but three hours after returning home from mosque I had words to describe what had happened to me: female genital cutting, clitoridectomy, female genital circumcision. Later that night, I sat with the illicit copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves that my American aunt had given me. My aunt was born in the United States, and realizing that her Western agnostic upbringing was startlingly different from mine, she gave the book to me while visiting one Christmas, gently telling me that she was around for any questions I may have. One of the things the book suggested was to put a hand mirror between my legs. In the harsh lights of my bathroom, looking at the pictures, I realized that there was something horrifically different about what I had between my legs.

Over the next few weeks, the Internet gave me a sense of outrage that I wasn’t prepared to handle. I latched onto the most controversial name for what had happened to me: Female Genital Mutilation, or FGM.
I wasn’t sure I really wanted to know that my mother might have lived her entire life without finding pleasure in sex. This terrified me. What if this was my future too?

“Have you ever even looked at your clitoris?” my roommate asked. I felt something squeeze deeply inside of me and I began crying, tears trickling down from my eyes as I clamped my lips shut.

My roommate encouraged me to go see an ob/gyn at the school. I ended up in stirrups only twenty minutes after walking in, and when the doctor finally arrived. “Let’s have a look,” she said, using the same no-nonsense tone I remembered from the lady from my childhood, the one who cut me. I clamped my knees together and started bawling. She was in her late fifties and had seen enough during her quick glance to make a correct assumption about why I was crying. “When did this happen? How long did it hurt? Are you able to wipe yourself with toilet paper without discomfort?” The doctor admitted up front that she didn’t know much, but said that taking a closer look might help her out. By the time I finally let the doctor take a look, she let out a long, low breath. “What I can tell you is that there is a lot of thin scar tissue, most of which looks extremely painful,” she said. “This doesn’t look like a full clitorectomy,” she added, explaining that while she’d never seen one before, it looked like a partial cut. “Did a medical professional do this?” she asked as I shook my head.

During college, I’d figured out that getting to orgasm wasn’t going to be easy. Even when I attempted to pleasure myself, any wrong move, any sudden accidental movement, would shoot pain inside of me. The scar tissue was tender and grew inflamed quickly. The skin sloughed off easily sometimes and it was quick to bleed. I kept this information close to my chest, hardly ever mentioning it to anyone. After college, when I finally had sex for the one and only time, I told no one that it had been a disaster, that the pain had been so bad that it hurt to pee for weeks afterwards.

The first and only time I had sex it did not go well. I was twenty-two, a late bloomer by most of popular culture’s standards, and for the year my boyfriend and I had been dating, we’d skirted around the issue. He’d repeated that he was willing to wait, however long it might take me to be ready, and I’d chafed at his understanding. “Don’t you want me?” I asked after another false start, our breathing heavy. He rolled off me gently, panting. “It didn’t seem like you wanted it,” he replied. He was right. I’d clenched every muscle in my thighs and squeezed my eyes shut when his hand climbed above my knee. That’s when he stopped.

After a year of dating him, I decided that I needed to get the act over with. “I don’t want you to stop even if I look like it’s hurting me,” I told him. He grimaced, but I repeated the statement again and then again. His quiet acquiescence was disarming, so I gripped his wrists tightly and stared at him directly. “I need you to do this for me,” I told him. By the time his body was positioned over mine, we’d moved from the couch to the bed. I closed my eyes, feeling my nostrils flare as I breathed in slowly, counting to control my heartbeat and the nausea welling up inside me: IN one, two three; HOLD one, two three; OUT one, two three. After a couple of minutes we were technically having sex. Pain shot up my body. I could feel it in my teeth and in the muscles of my jaw. My insides felt like they were being scraped out by sandpaper. The pain was everywhere; I couldn’t figure out what hurt and where. After a couple of thrusts, he withdrew, unfinished, kissing my forehead gently.

I sat in the bed, allowing myself to cry for the first time since we’d begun talking about sex. For the first time since I’d admitted to him that I might never be able to enjoy a sexual experience. That when I was younger, someone had taken a knife to my clitoris and cut out a small but significant part of me.

http://www.firstpost.com/living/someone ... 49655.html

In these parts of the world, if the parents don't choose to have their daughter subjected to circumcision it's common for another family member to grab the girl and make sure it gets done:

Zameena, a young mother of a five-year-old girl did not want her daughter circumcised either. She refused outright when her mother-in-law said she must continue with a practice that is part of traditional culture.
But the older woman went ahead anyway.

"I was furious when I returned home to find my daughter, then 3 months old, howling in pain," she recalls. "I am helpless when members of my family still believe that it is part of our religion."

http://www.ipsnews.net/1996/08/sri-lank ... rcumcised/

If you thought Female Circumcision is always the choice of the parents, guess again

Parents decide they want to break from tradition and not circumcise their daughter. Guess how the community responded.

Man received massive beating for trying to protect his daughter from getting circumcised

Olalowo Hammed Olalekan and his wife, Modinat, were harassed after being pressured repeatedly by family members and members of their community to bring their daughter for circumcision as usual with traditional requirements.

According to NewTelegraph, the couple have reportedly fled the shores of Nigeria for the safety of their children.

When he tried to escape to meet his family after sending his wife and children off, Hammed said i was attacked and beaten to the point of death, by my kinsmen and community members for refusing to subject my daughter through the female genital mutilation.

He added that he was left to die after the massive beating.

Olalekan said, “I thought I had died. I was bleeding all over my body with swollen face and cuts on my body. What I experienced from them is not what I wish anybody.”

“If it were my wife or children, they may not have survived it. I was on my way home, when some men began taunting me for not allowing my daughter to be circumcised, rather aided their disappearance.” He concluded.

http://tweakinggist.com/2016/08/05/man- ... rcumcised/

Even older girls are not always safe.

This girl was 21 when her father planned to get her cut and have her married off to some man they had never even met.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nline.html
So much for it "mainly only being in just Africa"...

Horrendous:
http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items/2017 ... sri-lanka/

SRI LANKA-CULTURE: Mothers Watch as Daughters are Circumcised

Renuka Senanayake
COLOMBO, Aug 19 1996 (IPS) -

Few people outside Sri Lanka know that infant girls in the small Muslim community undergo what is known as female circumcision or, more truthfully, female genital mutilation (FGM). For those of you who don't know, Sri Lanka is the island just South of India.
Forty days after birth, tiny thighs are firmly held apart by mothers and grandmothers as the traditional ‘osthi mami’ removes the clitoris.
The child shrieks in agony, while the ‘osthi mami’ sprinkles ash on the wound to stop the bleeding. The baby is then bathed and rocked to sleep.
FGM culture is widespread in this tiny Indian Ocean island. But the practice is kept a jealously guarded secret by women, who think an infant who does not undergo the surgical operation will be considered unfit for any respectable man to marry.

For Sithy Umma, a teacher with five daughters in the Sri Lankan capital, female circumcision is part of traditional culture. She acknowledges that it is not her religion, Islam, that demands it, but believes that it “promotes cleanliness”. Dr Marina Riffai points out that orthodox women believe they will be wracked by sexual desire if the clitoris is not scraped off. They are not willing to admit that the crude operation leads to infection, abscesses, infertility and painful sex.
According to the doctor, the practice is widely prevalent in Sri Lanka, though the rise of Islamic fundamentalism on the island. A study by a non-governmental organization reveals that nearly 90 percent of Sri Lankan Muslims and Borahs, a sect of Muslims, support FGM. It claims women who have been circumcised are treated with more respect within the community. Also it is a livelihood for the ‘osthi mamis’, which is a traditional occupation.
They are found in the suburbs of the capital city in Maskade, Dematagoda, Maradana and Hultsdorf. And are given a gift of 500 rupees (roughly 12 dollars) and a metre of white cloth in which the bloodied ash is collected.

FGM is not publicised, and both the ‘osthi mami’ in Maskade and Dematagoda refused to talk about their profession, except to say that the ritual was on the decline because there was a loss of respect for traditions among the younger generation.
Take Farhana, a 28-year-old student at Colombo University. She said she had been circumcised as a baby, “but I will not circumcise a daughter of mine.”

Zameena, a young mother of a five-year-old girl did not want her daughter circumcised either. She refused outright when her mother-in-law said she must continue with a practice that is part of traditional culture.
But the older woman went ahead anyway.

“I was furious when I returned home to find my daughter, then 3 months old, howling in pain,” she recalls. “I am helpless when members of my family still believe that it is part of our religion.”

Sociologists trace the grisly practice to the arrival of Arab traders on the island some 200 years ago. The traders brought as their wives women from Malaysia, who practiced FGM in their country.

The Muslim community is itself divided between those who think it is an essential part of their culture and others who say it has no religious sanction.

With little domestic pressure against the practice, FGM culture in Sri Lanka is individualistic. Says Rehana who rejects outside criticism of FGM, “it is a part of our faith”. Her 20- year-old sister-in-law, who was born a Christian, was circumcised when she [was] married [to a muslim husband]. (women in these small communities often don't have a lot of choice in the matter)

http://www.ipsnews.net/1996/08/sri-lank ... rcumcised/

In Southeast Asia (the muslim countries of Indonesia and Malaysia) they practice a milder form of female circumcision. Just "a tiny little cut"—or at least that's how they describe it.
It's not as horrendous as the types of procedures done in other parts of the muslim world.
Just imagine a toenail clipper clipping off a small slice of flesh from your genitals...

http://www.theislamicmonthly.com/a-tiny ... east-asia/

This account is written by a girl who grew up in America. When she was 3 years old her mother took her on a little "vacation":
http://www.firstpost.com/living/someone ... 49655.html
The Muslim world has some weird cultural practices. In the middle-east a lot of Muslims are married to their first or second cousins.

Cousin marriage is a form of consanguinity (marriages among couples who are related as second cousins or closer). As of 2003, an average of 45% of married couples were related in the Arab world. While consanguinity is not unique to the Arab or Islamic world, Arab countries have had "some of the highest rates of consanguineous marriages in the world".

Marrying a close relative significantly increases the chance that both parents carry recessive genes, which can carry defects and diseases. While babies of Pakistani heritage accounted for roughly 3.4% of all births in the UK (2005), "they had 30% of all British children with recessive disorders and a higher rate of infant mortality," according to research done by the BBC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_ma ... iddle_East
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be use[…]