death penalty - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By grinner
Is humane the goal?
Hand a gun to the victims family. If they are a good shot, fine. If not... well they can always reload and pass it on to grandma.
By Theelectricchild
How about the abolition of capital punishment in Europe, here is some food for thought---- Capital punishment was banned in the Netherlands in 1870, although the last execution (by hanging) was performed in 1861. During WW II the Dutch government (i think based in London during WW II) changed the law and included capital punishment for people who had betrayed other people, etc.

152 people were inflicted with capital punishment, but only 40 people were really executed. The others were sentenced for life (also because the law was changed again in 1952).

Other countries:

In Belgium capital punishment remained part of the law until 1996, but the last execution was performed in 1950. During WW II 242 men were shot.

In the United Kingdom capital punishment was abolished for ordinary crimes in 1973, in (West) Germany in 1949 and in Switserland and the Scandinavian countries the capital punishment was also banned before WW II.

For a list of abolitionist and retentionist countries (August 1997), check the Amnesty International site on the death penalty.

Arguments against capital punishment (also from the encyclopedia):

It works counterproductive.

Countries/states with capital punishment have higher crime and murder rates than countries/states without! However, this can be a chicken/egg problem: what causes what?
It is irreversible.

Mistakes are quite common.
No one has the right to kill another person.

The government gives a bad example, which can be related to argument 1.
It is more a punishment for the relatives and family.
In practice it is more expensive than sentence for life.

This is because convicts always appeal to a higher court and the process takes years anyway.
Actually the only argument for capital punishment is the demand for retribution. Quite a childish argument in my opinion. Civilized people should not think in terms of retribution. (It always amazes me how a so-called civilized country like the US can be so medieval on many points.)

Nowadays capital punishment is not questioned at all in most European countries. For example, even the horrible child abuse of Marc Dutroux in Belgium hardly leads to a call of the people for re-introduction of capital punishment. Of course, most people have the idea that persons like Dutroux are better off dead, but the general feeling is that no one has the right to actually perform the execution.

This is more or less my own opinion too: since there is nobody in this world who can be considered as an executioner, capital punishment can never be an option.
Actually the only argument for capital punishment is the demand for retribution.

I'll revive this discussion for a moment :)

I've got three arguments for the use of the death penalty. Firstly, it's cheaper than a life sentence, if the appeals process is streamlined, and doesn't take 10 or 20 years. Secondly, executions are a legal right, as crimes like murder should cost the criminal their rights, thus removing their right to life and allowing the state to execute them. If the death penalty should not be used because it is immoral, then nobody should be sent to jail because that removes their right to liberty. Thirdly, if the death penalty involved hanging, disemboweling, burning and flaying (removing a person's skin with a rather large whip or knife), it would be horrific enough to deter some criminals. Even if it didn't deter them, the death penalty is one sure way of preventing a repeat of a crime.
By Nox
I once heard it said that if you have ever witnessed a public execution, you would be against the death penalty.

A few years ago, while serving in the military in Saudi Arabia, I watched a public beheading outside the main mosque in Riyyad.

I never intended to get into trouble in Saudi ... and after watching that, I knew for certain I would not get into trouble.

Both before and after the event I was/am an ardent supporter of the death penalty. I hate to admit this ... but I felt safer in Riyyad than I do in many American cities.

Nox

I have never been given anything because I am whi[…]

In response to both you and @Sherlock Holmes , […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting look at the nuclear saber rattling Pu[…]

I don't find it surprising mainstream media will a[…]