This apparently is a 'thing' in China - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Why drivers in China intentionally kill the pedestrians they hit.

"In April a BMW racing through a fruit market in Foshan in China’s Guangdong province knocked down a 2-year-old girl and rolled over her head. As the girl’s grandmother shouted, “Stop! You’ve hit a child!” the BMW’s driver paused, then switched into reverse and backed up over the girl. The woman at the wheel drove forward once more, crushing the girl for a third time. When she finally got out from the BMW, the unlicensed driver immediately offered the horrified family a deal: “Don’t say that I was driving the car,” she said. “Say it was my husband. We can give you money.”

It seems like a crazy urban legend: In China, drivers who have injured pedestrians will sometimes then try to kill them. And yet not only is it true, it’s fairly common; security cameras have regularly captured drivers driving back and forth on top of victims to make sure that they are dead...

...In 2010 in Xinyi, video captured a wealthy young man reversing his BMW X6 out of a parking spot. He hits a 3-year-old boy, knocking the child to the ground and rolling over his skull. The driver then shifts his BMW into drive and crushes the child again. Remarkably, the driver then gets out of the BMW, puts the vehicle in reverse, and guides it with his hand as he walks the vehicle backward over the boy’s crumpled body...The driver then puts the BMW in drive again, running over the boy one last time as he drives away.

Here too, the driver was charged only with accidentally causing a person’s death. (He claimed to have confused the boy with a cardboard box or trash bag.)...

...Perhaps the most horrific of these hit-to-kill cases are the ones in which the initial collision didn’t injure the victim seriously, and yet the driver came back and killed the victim anyway. In Sichuan province, an enormous, dirt-encrusted truck knocked down a 2-year-old boy. The toddler was only dazed by the initial blow, and immediately climbed to his feet. Eyewitnesses said that the boy went to fetch his umbrella, which had been thrown across the street by the impact, when the truck reversed and crushed him, this time killing him.

Despite the eyewitness testimony, the county chief of police declared that the truck had never reversed, never hit the boy a second time, and that the wheels never rolled over the child. Meanwhile, one outraged website posted photographs appearing to show the child’s body under the truck’s front wheel.

In each of these cases, despite video and photographs showing that the driver hit the victim a second, and often even a third, fourth, and fifth time, the drivers ended up paying the same or less in compensation and jail time than they would have if they had merely injured the victim..."

The Chinese police seem peculiarly credulous in these cases, willingly accepting the most fantastical of explanations.

Of course no one has a right to be surprised by anything the human race get up to, but still... Chinese parvenus nonchalantly grinding their wheels over babies' skulls once, twice, even multiple times?
I hear similar stories in Cambodia. If you injure someone you're obliged to pay their medical bills for life but if you kill them you pay a one-off compensation package to their family.

The drivers aren't charged with murder because the police are too lazy and corrupt to do any work that doesn't lead to a quick and easy bribe.
Why? I just don't understand why?

Who can possibly understand what people from across the channel do and why? This is why I am glad to live in the developed world, the second you get to France and the rest of the world this is exactly what you can expect.
I hear similar stories in Cambodia. If you injure someone you're obliged to pay their medical bills for life but if you kill them you pay a one-off compensation package to their family.

The drivers aren't charged with murder because the police are too lazy and corrupt to do any work that doesn't lead to a quick and easy bribe.

^ This. I believe it happens a lot in Mexico too, for similar reasons.
AFAIK wrote:I hear similar stories in Cambodia. If you injure someone you're obliged to pay their medical bills for life but if you kill them you pay a one-off compensation package to their family.

So - the gist of this thread is that the Chinese aren't bad drivers @ all - common opinion to the contrary - they're trying to kill anyone that they hit with their vehicle, whether intended or not.

Even if this anecdote & all the related stuff is true, it hardly inspires any confidence for the next time you see an ethnic Chinese behind the wheel. The question that will flash through your mind - How long has this person been driving in the West? We live out here in the wilds of the US Southwest, & so don't see many people of Chinese descent - so I feel pretty confident when I'm walking about.

Of course, vehicle-related deaths are pretty low in frequency World-wide (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/the- ... story.html

"1. The knowledge that auto fatalities constitute a mere sliver of the world's deaths: "For the world, fatalities from road crashes represented 2.1% of fatalities from all causes.... The highest percentage by country (15.9% in the United Arab Emirates) was 53 times the lowest percentage (0.3% in the Marshall Islands)." "

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)
So - the gist of this thread is that the Chinese aren't bad drivers @ all - common opinion to the contrary - they're trying to kill anyone that they hit with their vehicle, whether intended or not.

Very often, yes.

Even if this anecdote & all the related stuff is true, it hardly inspires any confidence for the next time you see an ethnic Chinese behind the wheel. The question that will flash through your mind - How long has this person been driving in the West? We live out here in the wilds of the US Southwest, & so don't see many people of Chinese descent - so I feel pretty confident when I'm walking about.

It's not just the Chinese - it's the Cambodians, the Mexicans, and probably quite a few others too.
I want to not believe this, but I've lived too long on this planet not to believe something so horrible it has to be true.

Notice the types of vehicles being driven as well: BMW's and work trucks. Telltale signs of the bourgeoisie's depraving influence. They won't stop until they arrive to the most economical solution to an "economic" problem. Next thing you know they'll be advocating cannibalism as a solution to starvation, just you watch.
I want to not believe this, but I've lived too long on this planet not to believe something so horrible it has to be true.

Believe it, kobe.
It's due to China's peculiar compensation laws and if a driver hits a pedestrian without killing him, the driver is obliged to pay compensation to the victim for the rest of his life, which could reach up to $1 million in 40 years. But if the victim is killed, the driver only has to pay a burial fee once that ranges from $30,000 to $50,000 in compensation. Moreover, those drivers who own expensive German cars are the elites close to the power centre, who can set their own laws which suit them, and they don't care about killing peasants accidentally.

Most people agree that the hit-to-kill phenomenon stems at least in part from perverse laws on victim compensation. In China the compensation for killing a victim in a traffic accident is relatively small—amounts typically range from $30,000 to $50,000—and once payment is made, the matter is over. By contrast, paying for lifetime care for a disabled survivor can run into the millions. The Chinese press recently described how one disabled man received about $400,000 for the first 23 years of his care. Drivers who decide to hit-and-kill do so because killing is far more economical. Indeed, Zhao Xiao Cheng—the man caught on a security camera video driving over a grandmother five times—ended up paying only about $70,000 in compensation.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world ... s-they-hit
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 06 Sep 2015 22:46, edited 3 times in total.
Political Interest wrote:Life is cheap in China. It is a society that only concerns itself with money and material progress.

I've talked to people who lived there and you wouldn't believe some of the things they saw.

Yes, China and her place in the world in the near future concern me greatly for those very reasons. Shocking unmorality.
annatar1914 wrote:Yes, China and her place in the world in the near future concern me greatly for those very reasons. Shocking unmorality.

At the same time though, Christianity is growing in China.

It may be the case that the Chinese reject rampant materialism once they achieve a developed first world status.
This is shocking and is generally condemned when publicised by the Chinese public.

Political Interest wrote:It may be the case that the Chinese reject rampant materialism once they achieve a developed first world status.

You mean like all the developed first world countries that reject rampant materialism?
I've lived in China and seen crazy things.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of it.

That said I've lived enough years to not believe everything I read.

My grandma who was a news broadcaster and who was the wife of a journalist (my grandfather) taught me that much.

It could be a real story. I'd need more evidence to not ere on the side of disbelief.

Deckey as usual makes some good points, also.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Yale course on Ukrainian history: https://www.you[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Find Someone Who Loves You Like Israel Loves Att[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]