Dog eating in China - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By yiostheoy
In the west, we cherish our dogs, cats, horses and ponies. In China it is not like that however.

If I were king of the world, which I am not, and will never be, then dogs, cats, horses and ponies would have the same rights as people do.

In China the issue of dog eating is still being sorted out.

http://streema.com/tv/play/NHK_World_English

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/06/21 ... tests.html
Last edited by yiostheoy on 22 Jun 2016 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
By yiostheoy
Dave wrote:Horses are only cherished by Anglo-Saxons.

The Continentals eat them.

That was certainly true back in WW1 and WW2 because the ordinary civilians were starving.

I would simply consider that as akin to cannibalism, which would also be justified if you were starving.
By Dave
No, they still eat horse even now.

My parents grew up in Sweden (born in 1950, 1951) and both routinely ate horse as a children.

You can find horse meat in many supermarkets throughout the Continent.

As far as I know only the English speaking peoples have a taboo against horse eating.
By Decky
The French eat horses to this day yiostheoy, it is normal in Europe. Also the west can't bitch at the Chinese for eating dogs when we eat pigs, it's no different. Just let people eat what they want. Out of all the objectionable things people do on the wrong side of the channel what kind of meat they eat does not even feature, it is meaningless. If someone offered me a nice dog fo yung in China I would eat it just so I could offend people by talking about it once I got home. I have eaten elk, springbok, boar all sorts of animals.
By yiostheoy
Decky wrote:The French eat horses to this day yiostheoy, it is normal in Europe. Also the west can't bitch at the Chinese for eating dogs when we eat pigs, it's no different. Just let people eat what they want. Out of all the objectionable things people do on the wrong side of the channel what kind of meat they eat does not even feature, it is meaningless. If someone offered me a nice dog fo yung in China I would eat it just so I could offend people by talking about it once I got home. I have eaten elk, springbok, boar all sorts of animals.

I used to date this Chinese babe who told me about eating rat meat. That is just nasty.

But eating dog is cruel and unusual.
By Decky
Sure it's cruel they are intelligent animals (just like pigs). How is it any different than having a bacon sandwich? As for unusual what kind of argument is that? Eating black pudding unusual by international standards it does not mean there is anything wrong with it.
By yiostheoy
Decky wrote:Sure it's cruel they are intelligent animals (just like pigs). How is it any different than having a bacon sandwich? As for unusual what kind of argument is that? Eating black pudding unusual by international standards it does not mean there is anything wrong with it.

It was a paraphrase of the US Constitution -- cruel and unusual punishments -- originally referred to British drawing and quartering.

I suppose it is easier to justify eating pork or beef because pigs and steers are such ugly creatures, unlike horses, ponies, dogs and cats -- which are quite beautiful.

I get that pigs are smart, but they are annoying pets because the root holes everywhere they can. So as pets I doubt they will ever be popular.

On a farm pigs are omnivores and so it is good to own a couple of breeding pairs, and then slaughter the offspring for their meat. Same is true of goats and sheep as well.

No one in the West (Europe and America) would slaughter dogs and cats however. These creatures are beautiful and smart.
Last edited by yiostheoy on 23 Jun 2016 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
There's really nothing wrong with eating any kind of meat. Any preferences with respect to which animal should not be eaten are obviously culturally based.

While people do eat horse in Europe, how common it is varies greatly. I have rarely come across horse meat in Austria, for example. There are definitely a lot of people who wouldn't eat horse for the same reason they wouldn't eat dogs.
By layman
The worth of animals is dictated by humans. I find the way the Chinese treat dogs disgusting and yes I do hold it against them. In the similar way, they lose points for not moving out of the way for ambulances in traffic - yes they are dicks like this.

All these little things are like a balance sheet between cultures. It's just the way it is. Admit it.
By Harmattan
yiostheoy wrote:That was certainly true back in WW1 and WW2 because the ordinary civilians were starving.

I would simply consider that as akin to cannibalism, which would also be justified if you were starving.

I do eat horse meat occasionally and it has an unique and delicious taste. It also has great nutritional qualities.

This is not a common meat as it is more expensive than beef, and some people find it disgraceful. But it is no big deal in France. Aside of horse riders, I never understood why some people treat horses differently from cows in this respect. They are pretty stupid animals.

What about dogs? I perceive them as "dirty" anyway, so I would be reluctant. But it would not be an ethical problem. I would be fine with cat meat for example. I would refuse monkey meat however: that would be like cannibalism.
Decky wrote:Sure it's cruel they are intelligent animals (just like pigs). How is it any different than having a bacon sandwich? As for unusual what kind of argument is that? Eating black pudding unusual by international standards it does not mean there is anything wrong with it.

Not many people in the West keep pigs as pets. That is where it differs. Pigs are livestock, dogs are not.
By anasawad
I ate horse meat, its very nice actually.

I never ate dogs or cats so far. though not planning to.

The view of what can and can not be eaten differs from one place and culture to anther.

For example we eat scorpions and lizards in Iran. Most others dont.
By Harmattan
anasawad wrote:For example we eat scorpions and lizards in Iran. Most others dont.

Are they tasty? Scorpions look good to me, maybe because they look like a crustacean. And lizards, well, I would expect a taste like a turkey. Don't ask, I have no idea why.

I think we would eat them if we had some in my country. We do have some lizards but they are very small. No scorpions of course.
Last edited by Harmattan on 23 Jun 2016 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
LoL.
Scorpions are tasty, they taste some what like Crab but little sharper taste.
Lizards, Well i don't know they have a unique taste, 'm not sure they're simillar to any type of meat. But they taste close to snakes. :P

Lizards that are eaten are about the size of a small chicken. Some bigger but those are much harder to catch.

There are some areas in the south in Kerman and Baluchistan provinces where they eat those big desert spiders.
But almost everyone in the north wont even dare to taste it. LoL :p
By Godstud
I'm in Thailand. If it moves, they'll see if they can eat it.

That said, in most parts of the country, they do not eat dog, nor cat. They'll eat rice rats and all manner of lizards, snakes, scorpions, beetles, crickets, meal worms, etc.

I am sure that if aliens invaded Thailand, they would quickly depart after the locals deemed them delicious. :D
By Harmattan
Ah! I was right about Scoprions! :)

I never tasted snakes either: we only have two species in France, both are endangered and one tastes horrible.

However we are famous for eating snails: once cooked they look like dry tiny meat balls hidden deep inside their shells. We stuff those shells with a garlic stuffing that makes most of the taste. We started eating them when we were starving and eventually ended up with a gourmet meal, with the help of brave experimentalists and a healthy dose of snobism.
By Decky
You serve them with the shells on? :eh: It's even worse than I thought.
By Harmattan
Not "on". They are cowered deep inside the shells. That being said there are different recipes and presentations, some with or without the shells.

Last edited by Harmattan on 23 Jun 2016 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
By Decky
How do you even eat them then? :eh: I will be thinking of this as I vote to leave the EU.

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] Are you[…]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]

I (still) have a dream

Because the child's cattle-like parents "fol[…]