China will scrap limit on presidential term, meaning Xi Jinping can stay on - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
A short term extension would do China good - on the whole, I think Xi is one of the better candidates around to lead China effectively. However, I'd be wary of a fourth term, and he should take advantage of a final term to secure his domestic legacy, set up a proper successor, and finish the anti-corruption campaign properly once free of needing the influence of certain cadres to maintain power. Xi is in a position where he can do a lot of good for China, similar to Park or Lee in Korea and Singapore - but you can't be a great leader if it all falls apart without your presence. If he's serious about making this the Chinese century, he needs to trust China to eventually govern itself, and needs to make sure that he uses the third term to do that. If you can't trust the institutions you've built, then what was really the point?
From what I understood, Xi has been building a personality cult, similar to the one of Putin. And is basically following the gameplay of Putin, including fostering a pathological form of nationalism/jingoism. The expectations are of a Crimean style geopolitical move in order to bolster his position.
I wouldn't call it a personality cult in the least. He does lean a bit on the nationalist side of things, though that isn't a particularly bad way to combat corruption and create faith in state institutions.

The Sabbaticus wrote:The expectations are of a Crimean style geopolitical move in order to bolster his position.

What would this even look like? You believe China will make a move on Taiwan in the next five years? :hmm:
Russia was right to take Crimea. Giving up the port would be like the American military giving up Hawii--though actually more momentous. Balance of power still does matter. Dramatic swooping shifts in geopolitical positions of Great Powers are likely not conducive to intermediate-term peace. The seizure of Crimea was simply as a matter of course. America claims an entire hemisphere. China will exert increasing power in the South China Sea. That America may not like it doesn't change a thing, and this isn't about Xi Jinping.
All Hail Xi :eek:

Although it's an interesting subject I'm not going to pretend that I know what is best for China so I can't really comment on this.

Regarding Taiwan, it's anyone's guess what will happen but the Crimea analogy is not a good one since Crimeans were maybe 95% in favor of annexation by Russia and Taiwanese are about 95% against annexation by China.
Fasces wrote:I wouldn't call it a personality cult in the least. He does lean a bit on the nationalist side of things, though that isn't a particularly bad way to combat corruption and create faith in state institutions.

What would this even look like? You believe China will make a move on Taiwan in the next five years? :hmm:

South China Sea, military posturing against India, building an African naval base right next to the American one and perhaps moving the land border to include more of Mongolia.
I think you guys don't understand how immense the power of a Chinese leader can wield, such that I am sure that Xi only wants to grasp power for himself, and has little (if any) care on how the country should go on once he's gone one way or another.

And at least in Hong Kong, most of us are totally distrustful of a regime so corrupt and oppressive (to dissidents at least). Things will only turn ugly. You just wait and see!
Hong Wu wrote:To truly have a Putin-like personality cult he'd have to start taking shirtless photos in picturesque locations.

TBH Chinese leaders did that BEFORE Putin. Mao Zedong, Deng Xiaoping and Jiang Zemin were all reputed to let the media capture them swimming shirtless. Without BondPutin-like attractiveness though.
It's a sign that President Xi is powerful enough to change China's constitution now. The Chinese People's Liberation Army saw the biggest shake-up in 2017, with most of the top leadership being replaced with Xi Jinping's generals. President Xi fired two heavyweights in the powerful Central Military Commission (CMC) and he managed to assert full civilian control over the People's Liberation Army. Xi also disbanded the four vast autonomous departments that oversaw the PLA. I think this makes it easier to manage China for the Trump administration and Trump can tame Xi with the threat of a trade war.
Sabbaticus wrote:South China Sea, military posturing against India, building an African naval base right next to the American one and perhaps moving the land border to include more of Mongolia.

That last one is fucking hilarious.

Patrickov wrote:I think you guys don't understand how immense the power of a Chinese leader can wield, such that I am sure that Xi only wants to grasp power for himself, and has little (if any) care on how the country should go on once he's gone one way or another.

I think cynicism is easy, but not particularly truthful. Xi is a patriot, for better or worse.
Fasces wrote:I think cynicism is easy, but not particularly truthful. Xi is a patriot, for better or worse.

Real patriots don't exploit patriotism to get more power for themselves.

Besides, Chinese patriotism detriments freedom and human rights, which we Hongkongers cherish (too bad the British did not build enough democracy to defend these). More importantly, this is why so many Mainlanders who know better "flee" the country, and in one way or another, make Hong Kong immensely crowded. This is unsustainable and will collapse sooner than you think (and probably sooner than EU).

If Xi is a patriot, his deeds prove that it's surely for worse.
He's comparatively young for a leader of a great power. He's also the architect and chief planner of the great silk road project, so more time is a good thing. He's competent, well respected and has some big world changing projects underway. No reason to arbitrarily switch leadership if the guy at the helm is making China stronger. Very good.

If he's serious about making this the Chinese century, he needs to trust China to eventually govern itself

It is. By way of meritocracy and competent men. The western institutional model has failed. Leaders should be genetically engineered, grown in vats and prepped for rule decades ahead of time. This is the next best thing.
Patrickov wrote:Real patriots don't exploit patriotism to get more power for themselves.

Besides, Chinese patriotism detriments freedom and human rights, which we Hongkongers cherish (too bad the British did not build enough democracy to defend these). More importantly, this is why so many Mainlanders who know better "flee" the country, and in one way or another, make Hong Kong immensely crowded. This is unsustainable and will collapse sooner than you think (and probably sooner than EU).

If Xi is a patriot, his deeds prove that it's surely for worse.

One day China is going to have to get rid of the Communist Party and one day China's Nationalist Party will have to be restored as a political party in mainland China.

The country has to convert to a two party Democratic system eventually. Hopefully in my lifetime.

This is one point I disagree with Igor about. The communist party must be overthrown and it's illegal red flag pissed on and burnt in the streets.

It is not the flag of China... This is:
colliric wrote:One day China is going to have to get rid of the Communist Party and one day China's Nationalist Party will have to be restored as a political party in mainland China.

The country has to convert to a two party Democratic system eventually. Hopefully in my lifetime.

This is one point I disagree with Igor about. The communist party must be overthrown and it's illegal red flag pissed on and burnt in the streets.

And also their assets confiscated and members executed (sorry for being bloodthirsty, but I believe death to be a good deterrent for politically corrupt leaders)

Unfortunately the Nationalist are little if any better (maybe they treat intellectuals better but they have poor administrative skills. Most of my Taiwanese friends think the DPP do better than them).

I tend to think China should repeat what happened in the early 10th century, with a twist that some, if not all, of the divisions administered by Westerners (excluding Russians - they created the current perils in China in the first place!)
Last edited by Patrickov on 26 Feb 2018 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
Igor Antunov wrote:It is. By way of meritocracy and competent men. The western institutional model has failed. Leaders should be genetically engineered, grown in vats and prepped for rule decades ahead of time. This is the next best thing.

If leaders should be genetically engineered, then it seems that Germanic (including British) DNA is a better choice.
Patrickov wrote:Real patriots don't exploit patriotism to get more power for themselves.

That's absurd. By this definition, any pushback by the Hong Kong government is also anti-patriotic, because they're trying to preserve local power/sovereignty.

colliric wrote:One day China is going to have to get rid of the Communist Party and one day China's Nationalist Party will have to be restored as a political party in mainland China.

Technically, this is already the case. They have seats in the Congress under the RCCK. In any case, Xi gave his speech at the Party Congress earlier this year calling for eventual liberalization and democratization of China by the end of the 21st century.
Fasces wrote:Technically, this is already the case. They have seats in the Congress under the RCCK. In any case, Xi gave his speech at the Party Congress earlier this year calling for eventual liberalization and democratization of China by the end of the 21st century.

Classic lipservice.... Gave himself a 100 year timeframe. What a cunt.

If he was genuinely half interested in doing that he would have said "by 2030 and we have an active plan". We all know it could easily be accomplished in less than a decade.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]