Fan Bingbing's Disappearence - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Word in the Chinese press, is she was offered a deal to pay over 8 million RMB in back taxes to avoid criminal penalty.

Analysis was that this is contrary to the letter of the law and she's receiving privileged treatment.

Just throwing it out there, I never heard of this chick or this case until this thread, and then saw the opinion piece on China Daily with the above.
She would never have been arrested like this in Hong Kong. Never.

The new tax laws in the mainland over there look likely to bring back some more internal economical competitiveness between Cantonese HK and the Mandarin Mainland.

Hong Kong has basically become a taxhaven again for Chinese people almost overnight.

Alot of rich Hong Kongers would be breathing a sigh of relief reading this story and going "thank God I don't live in the mainland!".
To be honest, human rights activists etc. have been getting arrested in Hong Kong lately. The PRC banned the Hong Kong independence party last week. I suspect that being in Hong Kong is no protection anymore.

To recap, she likely sleeps her way to the top, making more than 70% of the budget of some of her projects, talks about feminism and then doesn't pay her taxes. Sounds like someone who needed a stern talking to to me...
Who's your favourite Chinese Actress?

I like Fan, she is fairly good looking but...

Gong Li for me.... Love The Emperor and The Assassin plus her other films.

Joan Chen and Ming-Na Wen are good, but ex-pats I guess.

Maggie Cheung for Cantonese actresses.

Anita Mui was great, but sadly died young.

I think Michelle Yeoh takes every role that comes her way and I don't quite like that. Explains some of her bad roles.

Actors:
Bruce Lee, Tony Leung, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, Donnie Yen, Bruce Lee, Jet-li, Chow Yun-Fat and did I mention Bruce Lee? Yeah let's face it the Cantonese dominate this worldwide. I can't think of one Mainlander at the moment, except Jet-li... But even he made it in Hong Kong playing Wong-Fei Hung first.

No one else comes close to Bruce. Enter The Dragon is the greatest film produced and filmed anywhere in China.... And one of the greatest films ever made.

Greatest Chinese film is the Golden Harvest + Warner Brothers Hong Kong co-production made in English... Will never be dethroned.
According to Hong Kong's South China Morning Post (via Variety), Fan returned to Beijing on Thursday after a period of "residential detention." The paper stated that Fan was being kept at a "holiday resort" near Wuxi, a location that has been used in the past to interrogate Communist Party Officials.

Earlier this week, it was announced by China's tax authorities that Fan would have to bay hundreds of millions of yuan in back taxes and fines. Other reports hinted that Fan and her various companies could be fined for up to $129 million.

At this point, it is expected that, if Fan promptly pays her fines, she will avoid any criminal prosecution.

"I feel ashamed and guilty for what I did, and here, I offer my sincere apology to everyone," the actress wrote on Weibo. “I feel ashamed that I committed tax evasion in [upcoming film] ‘Unbreakable Spirit’ and other projects by taking advantage of ‘split contracts.’ Throughout these days of my cooperation with the taxation authorities’ investigation of my accounts as well as my company’s, I have realized that, as a public figure, I should’ve observed the law, setting a good example for society and the industry.”

Probably she got away with it because she's the biggest cultural export of China, making it big in Hollywood. Fan is China's cultural icon that the Chinese Communist Party needs to treat carefully. Ruining her reputation will damage Chinese culture irreparably.
ThirdTerm wrote:Probably she got away with it because she's the biggest cultural export of China, making it big in Hollywood. Fan is China's cultural icon that the Chinese Communist Party needs to treat carefully. Ruining her reputation will damage Chinese culture irreparably.

If I was Fan, Hong Kong would start looking more attractive a place to live.
Ter wrote:There is no racism in my post.
I was alluding to the fact that she is a divorcee and used goods.

Really, Ter? You want to slut-shame every woman who has sex before marriage? What's your standard for men - do they have to be virgins when they marry to, or are they allowed to fuck? In which case, how would they pick the women who'd you'd then condemn for sleeping with them?
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:Really, Ter? You want to slut-shame every woman who has sex before marriage? What's your standard for men - do they have to be virgins when they marry to, or are they allowed to fuck? In which case, how would they pick the women who'd you'd then condemn for sleeping with them?

No, no and no.
I was only suggesting that Prince Harry could have done better by choosing a more suitable wife, like one that wasn't a divorcee. I do understand that some men don't mind having a "used before" wife, and that is great, but I am entitled to my opinion.
You called her a 'hussy' and 'used goods'. So you regard women as objects that are "used" when they are married. Of course you're slut-shaming by calling her a "hussy". Are you currently using a woman as an object, or are you looking for a virgin to use?
Ter wrote:I was only suggesting that Prince Harry could have done better by choosing a more suitable wife, like one that wasn't a divorcee. I do understand that some men don't mind having a "used before" wife, and that is great, but I am entitled to my opinion

:D
You are jumping to conclusions, dear sir, and trying to make me say things so that you can trap me in your political correctness.
Sorry, some other time maybe, but not today.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]