Fan Bingbing's Disappearence - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/o ... star-elite

One of China's biggest stories we seem to have totally missed. So yeah. The Chinese Government basically just kidnapped China's most famous actress and for 3 months apparently locked her up for somekind of tax evasion with no advance word or legal battle. She had no contact with the outside world.

Welcome to commie bastard land(which I obviously recently visited).

This is why if you get famous for acting in China you probably would do yourself a favour by moving, at least to Hong Kong....
The Chinese aren't the only ones to hold people for months, even longer, in detention. I haven't seen a news article yet detailing what exactly happened beyond the fact she was committing hefty tax evasion: we don't know if she was given a trial which wasn't publicized, or ordered to not discuss anything with the outside world.
Bulaba Jones wrote:The Chinese aren't the only ones to hold people for months, even longer, in detention. I haven't seen a news article yet detailing what exactly happened beyond the fact she was committing hefty tax evasion: we don't know if she was given a trial which wasn't publicized, or ordered to not discuss anything with the outside world.

Yeah but immediate detention for Tax Evasion?

Usually the legal battle gets discussed and publicized first.

Also if a person is held in detention in Australia it's usually because they're a suspected terrorist.
colliric wrote:Yeah but immediate detention for Tax Evasion?

Good stuff, I wish there was more of it. Why is that if a normal person breaks into someones house and robs a TV they go straight to jail the second they get found and then on to prison.

Rich people routinely steal tens of millions from their nation by treasonously not paying taxes, shouldn't they all be going to prison for life for that if the world was fair?
Decky wrote:Good stuff, I wish there was more of it. Why is that if a normal person breaks into someones house and robs a TV they go straight to jail the second they get found and then on to prison.

The evidence for robbing a TV is usually there to be found. The person knows what they were doing and CCTV or Witnesses probably saw them in the act and maybe their alibi is shit. There is usually direct evidence, and most of the time a Fingerprint or two.

A person committing tax evasion might not even realise what they are doing, because their accountant or stockbroker and in the case of Actors their Agent too, is probably doing it maybe even without their knowledge. So no they shouldn't immediately be jailed because there might only be flimsy evidence. Even in China(land of a gazillion CCTV cameras).

Rich people routinely steal tens of millions from their nation by treasonously not paying taxes, shouldn't they all be going to prison for life for that if the world was fair?

Only if the evidence supports a conviction. Innocent until proven guilty.

Obviously Fan had a confession, weather she knew of this or not, gotten out of her during her detention and they probably forced her to write that "apology". Not surprised. This is the CCP.
colliric wrote:The evidence for robbing a TV is usually there to be found. The person knows what they were doing and CCTV or Witnesses probably saw them in the act and maybe their alibi is shit. There is usually direct evidence, and most of the time a Fingerprint or two.

A person committing tax evasion might not even realise what they are doing, because their accountant or stockbroker and in the case of Actors their Agent too, is probably doing it maybe even without their knowledge. So no they shouldn't immediately be jailed because there might only be flimsy evidence. Even in China(land of a gazillion CCTV cameras).

I don't really see why any of that matters, ignorance of the law is no defence. Get the thieving scum into the gulags as soon as it is reasonably possible.
God, I wish something like this could happen in my country.

Bingbing wrote:As a public figure, I should abide by the law, and play a leading role in society and industry … Without the good policies of the party and the state, and without the love of the people, there would be no Fan Bingbing.

Seems like, she learned her lesson.

Then, in June, official agencies announced a joint clampdown on actors’ pay, citing not only tax evasion but “money worship”, “the youth blindly chasing celebrities” and “distorted social values”. In August, nine major production companies issued a joint pledge to cap actors’ salaries at 40% of total production costs, and lead actors’ salaries at 70% of the cast’s total pay. The same month, Huang was linked to a scandal involving share-price manipulation and questioned by the authorities. He denied any involvement, but still publicly apologised for his “indiscretion in wealth management”. Then, last month, a Beijing university published the Film and Television Star Social Responsibility Report, ranking the 100 top celebrities. Fan Bingbing came last. The authorities have warned that others will face penalties and “administrative punishment” like Fan if they do not “undergo self-examination and make remedial payments to taxation authorities” before the end of the year.

Source

Wow, this needs to happen everywhere, good for China for taking the lead. :)
fuser wrote:God, I wish something like this could happen in my country.

The scum are being swept from the streets eh Fuser? ;)

"Comrade Lenin Cleans the World of Filth"
fuser wrote:Seems like, she learned her lesson.

Yeah because that post totally wasn't written by a CCP party official.... Or without threat of "We'll blacklist you if you don't say how much you love us and need us 'da People'!".

Wow, this needs to happen everywhere, good for China for taking the lead. :)

Yeah, let's all get no trial. Just detention till we all confess to our crimes and say "without the people I wouldn't exist anymore". Because that totally wasn't the implied threat of that last sentence.
My reaction to any of this stuff IRL is to shrug and say I'm a foreigner, but on the inside I'm like, she had started saying feminist stuff, I'm glad they did something about that. Hollywood was basically the last nail in the coffin of western culture. I think things she was saying may have been as much of a factor as her tax evasion, the latter being a common problem in every country.

Also interesting is that they recently enacted relative pay laws in the movie industry, likely related to this controversy.
Last edited by Hong Wu on 05 Oct 2018 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Hong Wu wrote:My reaction to any of this stuff IRL is to shrug and say I'm a foreigner, but on the inside I'm like, she had started saying feminist stuff, I'm glad they did something about that. Hollywood was basically the last nail in the coffin of western culture.

See this why Free Speech is bullshit with right wingers and should be ignored.

If you believe she should be jailed for saying she should have equal rights, I should have a right to kill people for being fascists. Or jail Chinaman for exploiting our white economy.
I think if we're going to have free speech, let everyone have it but yeah, I am not necessarily against getting rid of it. I'm just mad when the wrong people control it.

The relative pay laws were, no one can make more than 70% of a production's total cost or something like that, which is still pretty huge.

Also lol she's like 37, unmarried, no kids as a woman and wants to preach to people despite having no higher education. Shut that bitch up, I hear enough of that crap in the west.
Hong Wu wrote:I think if we're going to have free speech, let everyone have it but yeah, I am not necessarily against getting rid of it. I'm just mad when the wrong people control it.

Same here, I'm mad when a Asian control a narrative that whites are oppressed in their own countries. Like shut up, I know I'm oppressed but it ain't by minorities and women.

Hong Wu wrote:Also lol she's like 37, unmarried, no kids as a woman and wants to preach to people despite having no higher education. Shut that bitch up, I hear enough of that crap in the west.

Like what you doing right now. Listen, I don't need no uncle lus telling me how bad I have it compare to Blacks who are literally arrested just for being in a white neighborhood. Take shit somewhere else. If you had it your way, we would bring back Chinese expel act.
Hong Wu wrote:Also lol she's like 37, unmarried, no kids as a woman and wants to preach to people despite having no higher education. Shut that bitch up, I hear enough of that crap in the west.

Hong, she's only been engaged for a year. Most likely planning to marry and have a kid now....

I don't really care about that myself, she could just be infertile or have put it off or whatever. I mean she was raised in a country where you can only have two at maximum anyway, and for a long time only just one.
I'm pretty sure they can have more kids by paying a fee, it's just that few do it for many reasons.

Probably she is unmarried at her age because she was Harvey Weinsteining her way to the top? Entertainment and media are socially toxic by nature and need to be controlled, we see this daily in the west when they try to force their naive opinions onto their audience. Like, is what China does to its media worse than the presumption of guilt without recourse for any white male that is being pushed by our media right now? I'm not sure it is. If someone has to do it I'd rather it not be liberals. That's just the world we live in, by pretending we could leave it alone we get to where we are now apparently.
Libertarian353 wrote:@Ter

I like the covert racism you sprout and accuse me of.

A racist like you sees racism everywhere.
There is no racism in my post.
I was alluding to the fact that she is a divorcee and used goods.
But I am not surprised that you saw it differently, in view of the Olympic-size chip on your shoulder.
Ter wrote:A racist like you sees racism everywhere.
There is no racism in my post.
I was alluding to the fact that she is a divorcee and used goods.
But I am not surprised that you saw it differently, in view of the Olympic-size chip on your shoulder.

Ter she is not a divorcee. She is Engaged. She isn't "used goods" from being divorced, she just got engaged.

Edit: oh wait my bad, your talking about Megan. Got it.

How do you think society should be organized? Wou[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

There are intelligent and stupid ways to retain p[…]