If a Government cannot be Trusted it might be better to Overthrow it - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Today, the Hong Kong Government announces the annual budget.

Reports here

One of the most important measures released is that every Hong Kong citizen can receive 10,000 HKD (about 1,283 USD)

It looks like a huge measure to alleviate people's perils, but soon afterwards I received a message forwarded from one of my colleagues. It reads something like the following:

"The budget has to be approved by the Legislative council. As far as we know, the first thing to discuss will be the salary increase of the Hong Kong Police. If the Government does not separate the matters, I rather not get the $10,000. The salary increase must NOT get through. Forward this if you agree."

This statement is based on the fact that Hong Kong Police are the sole largest source of violence in 2019, and the said violence is endorsed by the Government.

--------

After another while, I got another message from another of my colleagues. The message reads something like this:

"For the DSE public exam (Note: the exam among all Hong Kong students as qualifier to universities), the highest grade derived from school-internal-assessment will be raised from 4 (fourth highest) to 5 (third highest). We believe that Mainland students will be the most benefited under this scheme."

This statement is probably based on a thought that Hong Kong should not favour Mainlanders at all. I personally do not see but find it hard to argue otherwise. And of course, it is not wise to be antagonistic to who you work with.

--------

In both cases, it seems few if any trust policies from the Government at all.

Regardless of whether the policies themselves are right or not, if a Government is to be blamed by so many people no matter what the policies are, it might as well just overthrow it. At least whoever taking its place would not be so untrusted.

Care: 73 Fairness: 77 Liberty: 83 In-group: 70 Pur[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]