Mongolians Protest China's Plan to Replace Monglian with Mandarin at Schools - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Political Interest wrote:Why is Beijing suddenly introducing new policies when they did not have these before?

My question also, as well as my family's.

My family believes that the Xi administration is having a serious Chūnibyō syndrome and is keen to kindle all kinds of conflict just to show that they are omnipotent.

Being the superstitious one, I, as usual, have some other guesses.
For example, maybe some lower-level party members are secretly in opposition against Xi and deliberately do things to the extreme so as to inflict trouble?
CCP is very obsessed with exerting complete control over their entire borders. I'm guessing this is the source of this. It's interesting because the US is moving in the opposite direction on this one. That is, encouraging foreign language instruction in schools. My kids goes to a dual language Spanish/English school. They learn math in Spanish for example. I know China is funding Mandarin learning programs in the US too (some of the schools here are dual language englihs/mandarin, which of course, my wife would never allow. Learning manadarin is treason to Cantonese in her eyes lol). Fundamentally, I'm not against this, but I don't believe it will somehow develop goodwill towards China in the US. I'd imagine this is why China is funding it; there's always a political motive behind anything any government does.

My other crackpot theory is that China wants Mandarin to become the new lingua franca of the business world. However, I don't think that will ever happen, it's not practical enough of a language. That is, it's harder to learn that than say English or Spanish.

Patrickov wrote:My family believes that the Xi administration is having a serious Chūnibyō syndrome and is keen to kindle all kinds of conflict just to show that they are omnipotent.

I agree with this theory. In the west we tend to call it a "God complex" though.
Rancid wrote:Learning manadarin is treason to Cantonese in her eyes lol

Most Cantonese find it true. I am not opposed to learning Mandarin / Putonghua myself, but our mother tongue (Cantonese) means our mother tongue.

The Chinese government even had problem forcing single-language education in Guangzhou.
Sivad wrote:Total colonizer move. Chicom ethno-state settler colonialism at its finest. Well at least they're not forcing the Mongolians into conetration camps just yet...

They are. The Ugyur camps are not strictly for Ugyurs. There are camps along the North West and North of China. Mongolian tribesman are also being forced there.
Hopefully China will not become an imperialistic power like America is now.

There appears to be some chauvinistic tendencies among the Chinese leadership.

It is important to respect Chinese territorial integrity and not interfere in Chinese internal affairs but hopefully Beijing will pursue a benevolent policy towards the smaller nationalities within its borders.
JohnRawls wrote:They are. The Ugyur camps are not strictly for Ugyurs. There are camps along the North West and North of China. Mongolian tribesman are also being forced there.

Bullshit, let me go ask skinster to post some tweets here.

Political Interest wrote:hopefully Beijing will pursue a benevolent policy towards the smaller nationalities within its borders.

I think this question has already been clearly answered as to what their policies are, no?
This bill is addressing the language that specific subjects are taught in. It's not universal - students still learn Mongolian.

In certain subjects, such as history, or mathematics, they will be taught in Mandarin. They'll still take some courses in local languages.

If they were not taught in Mandarin, wouldn't the criticism be that the central government isn't affording these students the opportunity to learn and master the language of commerce in their country? That they're deliberately ostracizing and marginalizing a minority population by not affording them an education in the lingua franca of the country they have to exist in?

What's the "winning move" for China here? Does Radio Free Asia or Adrian Zenz give them one?
Rancid wrote:I think this question has already been clearly answered as to what their policies are, no?

The issue is not so much one of political autonomy but preservation of culture and allowing indigenous peoples to have a homeland.

Part of living a dignified life is to be able to belong to a people and see that people continue to exist into the future.

In New Zealand for example it is a tragedy that Maori were displaced. It is my deepest hope that Maori in New Zealand one day fully reconstitute themselves in New Zealand. Thankfully the government there are working towards the preservation of Maori language and culture.

Fasces wrote:This bill is addressing the language that specific subjects are taught in. It's not universal - students still learn Mongolian.

In certain subjects, such as history, or mathematics, they will be taught in Mandarin. They'll still take some courses in local languages.

If they were not taught in Mandarin, wouldn't the criticism be that the central government isn't affording these students the opportunity to learn and master the language of commerce in their country? That they're deliberately ostracizing and marginalizing a minority population by not affording them an education in the lingua franca of the country they have to exist in?

What's the "winning move" for China here? Does Radio Free Asia or Adrian Zenz give them one?

Mongols were already living in China's borders for hundreds of years. I am sure they have had plenty of time to learn Mandarin.
Fasces wrote:And the Occitans had plenty of time to learn French. We [westerners] seem to hold a hardline against other powers doing what they need to do to consolidate control and establish a modern nation state. Are our motives humanitarian, or more concerned with maintaining divisions in their society that we can exploit?

I'm not trying to exploit any divisions. This is not a reflection of any policy preferences. But it is pointing out some problems in China.

As I said, Chinese territorial integrity must be respected and the West should not interfere in Chinese affairs.
Fasces wrote:I just mean, from the perspective of national development: we, as Westerners, are holding a hardline against China in 2014, for acting as we would in a similar period of development, in 1814-1914. Can we expect a state that we subjugated to skip that stage of development?

Of course we can't.

These posts were not made on any presumption of moral superiority.

But one does hope that China will not repeat the mistakes of the West in this respect would you not agree?
Political Interest wrote:Of course we can't.

These posts were not made on any presumption of moral superiority.

But one does hope that China will not repeat the mistakes of the West in this respect would you not agree?

In an ideal world, yes.

In the unfortunate world we appear to inhabit, Xi Jinping, the true believer and Han nationalist, won the power struggle, and here we are.

How have you been? Long time no see. :D
Fasces wrote: wouldn't the criticism be that the central government isn't affording these students the opportunity to learn and master the language of commerce in their country?

The fact that they are protesting kind of precludes this hypothetical criticism, no?

IN other words, these Mongolians don't seem to want more Mandarin force on them... clearly.
The source for these protests is Radio Free Asia and affiliated NGOs. I'd trust them about as far as I could throw them.

Not to say I don't believe protests happened - they're quite common in China, and its probable that parents were upset about the move. I'm just talking more from a geopolitical standpoint, and what US media would report.
Fasces wrote:We [westerners] seem to hold a hardline against other powers doing what they need to do to consolidate control and establish a modern nation state.

Is it what you need to establish a modern nation state?

I'm imagining trying to force the French-speaking Swiss to have their classes in history and math in German. It's such an absurd thought to be honest. It would be unthinkable to even propose it.

Hmm. I took it a second time and changes three ans[…]

Great german commentary: https://www.nachdenkseite[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]