Project Gutenberg - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Found a great free learning resource? Share it here.
Forum rules: See here for guidelines on the use of the Free Learning Resources forum.
By Brio
"Project Gutenberg offers over 36,000 free ebooks to download to your PC, Kindle, Android, iOS or other portable device. Choose between ePub, Kindle, HTML and simple text formats.

We carry high quality ebooks: All our ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers. We digitized and diligently proofed them with the help of thousands of volunteers."

This is a great resource for e-books, especially older ones.
By Quantum
Thanks for the link, Brio. It'll save time searching for the book in the library that isn't there. However, it seems that the books are only published in the English language and have their copyright expired. It would be nice to have more recent books or foreign language books but it's a start.
By Wolfman
Gutenberg has a problem with that. Honestly, I rarely even use it unless the book I want is over a thousand years old and really popular. So, I only use it for Plato.
By Lokakyy
Thanks for the link, Brio. It'll save time searching for the book in the library that isn't there. However, it seems that the books are only published in the English language and have their copyright expired. It would be nice to have more recent books or foreign language books but it's a start.

There is quite an obvious point that they cannot publish books that are in the copyright - it is illegal.

Not all books are in English, though, there are numerous other languages represented, as can be seen from the catalogue. None of them are, of course, recent, and that tends to apply to the translations as well, since original texts and translated texts have different copyright expiration dates.
By Quantum
Lokakyy wrote:There is quite an obvious point that they cannot publish books that are in the copyright - it is illegal.

I'm aware of that but I still lament the fact that it's full of old books. People could easily pirate new books on file-sharing websites.

Lokakyy wrote:Not all books are in English, though, there are numerous other languages represented, as can be seen from the catalogue. None of them are, of course, recent, and that tends to apply to the translations as well, since original texts and translated texts have different copyright expiration dates.

That's good. At least it the range of books provided are more diverse than I thought.
By Ombrageux
Gutenberg is fantastic for classic books, anything over 100 years old.

Quantum - You can always nab contemporary books on your standard P2P filesharing sites. You can often download 1,000s of the most popular contemporary books in packaged files.

You have to be in a hierarchical structure right?[…]

Thread stinks of Nazi Bandera desperation, trying[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This is an interesting concept that China, Russia[…]

We have totally dominant hate filled ideology. T[…]