Started a garden - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For more mature forum members to ramble about things of no interest to students (DIY etc.).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By mikema63
I went out and got a jiffy kit, those little peat pots you know?

I started setting up the seeds with my little sister (8) so it could be a home schooling science project as well.

We've got

Morning glories
Snapdragons
Marigolds
Impatients
Cleos
4 o' clocks

The morning glories will go on the fence

4 o' clocks by the porch

Snapdragons will cover the spot where the septic tank leaks when it clogs

Not sure about the rest yet.

I'm late starting them.

Edit: I forgot the marigolds are going in with the tomatoes.
By Decky
I've never done flowers (rather than growing veg) as it's a pointless wasteful middle class diversion.

Are they harder or easier to grow than veg? How well to they cope with unexpected extremes of weather?
By mikema63
@decky, depends on the flower.

Poppy is nice, as TCR pointed out so can morning glory, certain daffodils can be used as aspirin, hyacinths can be made into tea etc.

However most importantly it makes the home were selling more valuable.
By Decky
Poppy is nice

Ah I see, a bit of opium to brighten up the dreary evenings. Well I withdraw my objection it is a useful crop.
The Clockwork Rat wrote:I recommend grinding the seeds from the Morning Glory and consuming them.

Yea, I was gonna suggest that too.
So do you have a mixed vegetable & flower garden. Try planting spearmint it's easy to grow, looks good, and can be used in tea or as seasoning. It's an all around wonder plant.
By mikema63
We have it in an inside device that grows it in the kitchen.

We are planning on selling the house and moving so a vegetable garden isn't going to be much use but at least the flowers will make. Place a bit nicer looking.
By Demosthenes
mikema63 wrote:We are planning on selling the house and moving

Where to?
By mikema63
Farther out into the country, it's a divorce home were looking at now.

5 acres for our 2 1/2, their building an elementary school at the end of our current road and a mall. They put a new college campus and a high school at the other end of our street so we will be selling the house for 350K and the new one will cost 100K.

It will be better for the horses to have more room as well.
By Decky
It will be better for the horses to have more room as well.

Isn't it a violation of the NAP to enslave other beings?
By Decky
Ipay them a wage of feed

That's nice. Plantation owners fed their slaves too.
By Decky
I don't think you need to worry about loosing your libertarianism. You keep slaves so that will give you a few points with Rand at the free market gates when you are judged.
By mikema63
Are you kidding, I'm basically subsidizing the retirement and care for animals that have been rescued from misery and serve no economic purpose.

Rand will toss mean the communist pit of red.
By Decky
Why don't you join the reds now then? It will be less of a shock for you when the time comes.
By mikema63
Oh ah

Communists get dropped in the fascist pit of black to be consumed by hitler for all eternity.
By roxunreal
The Clockwork Rat wrote:I recommend grinding the seeds from the Morning Glory and consuming them.

Salvia Divinorum is another easy plant to grow.

I recommend that too

Salvia is easy to grow if it's hot and humid, but otherwise not so. You can get a plant in a pot if lucky (I've read about several grow endeavours by people only to have their still small plant start dying on them), but if grown in a small plastic or glass enclosed greenhouse with regulated humidity and lots of sun you can grow a damn bush for all the weird I-am-a-couch-living-the-life-of-a-leopard weirdness you will ever need.

Morning glories (ipomoea violacea, heavenly blue and flying saucer variety are psychoactive, most other are not) and poppies (papaver somniferum) pretty much grow like crazy, though morning glories prefer lots of root space and lots of sunshine.

Other magic plants you should definitely grow:

Various plants of the datura genus which produces absolutely beautiful flowers, but don't eat any part of the plant unless you really, really hate yourself, want to make your heart stop or in the very least hallucinate about spiders and snakes crawling out of your eyes for two days. Also take care that pets or children don't eat the stuff, it can kill them easilly or turn them into gallant butterfly-knights that are impervious to freeway traffic.

You can also grow other related psychoactive plants from the solanaceae family such as henbane (hyoscyamus niger), mandrake (mandragora genus), deadly nightshade (atropa belladonna) or even tobacco (nicotiana genus) - all are relatively easy to grow and relatively easily poison or kill you, and all except tobacco produce a total delirium that can last from half a day to two days or more and has a realistic chance to put you in a psych ward, that is, if you survived going to sleep in the camp fire. And worse still, you can't take a piss when you're high on them.

Lion's tail (leonotis leonurus) is also beautiful and can be grown with some effort to produce and harvest pretty orange flowers which when smoked produce a nice, discreet and relaxing effect distantly similar to cannabis.

Hawaii baby woodrose (argyreia nervosa) is a bit tricky to grow but contains the same magic as morning glories (lysergic acid amide) in a more economical package (~8 seeds needed for effect unlike ~300 with morning glory).

Grow a nutmeg tree (myristica fragrans) for the unpleasantly psychoactive spice of the same name. A slight problem may be that it is a tropical tree prefering volcanic soil that can grow to 20 meters and takes 15 years to start bearing fruit. The effect takes five hours to kick in and can last a day, is usually unpleasant and related to deliriants like datura, all good reasons to take it. It's a lot milder and less dangerous than datura though, and you won't be running around the supermarket naked and asking invisible people if it is permitted to swim in the sea.

While growing large trees you can also grow an areca catechu palm for its mildly stimulating betel nut fruit. It is also 20 meters tall and impossible to grow in a non tropical environment without a greenhouse in which it fits, so best start building. It is the third most widely used stimulant in the world after caffeine and nicotine. They say it's carcinogenic, but 20% of the world population can't be wrong.

Khat (catha edulis) is a stimulant containing bush which requires sandy well draining soil and lots of sun. It's somewhat addictive. You can harvest the leaves sit in a corner and chew them like a real Yemeni tribal elder for hours every day enjoying the effect and contemplating why exactly is it that Yemen is such a screwed up place.

Kratom (mitragyna speciosa) is another tropical tree, moderately demanding to grow but luckily can be much smaller than nutmeg or the betel palm (~4 meters), it contains alkaloids that produce a narcotic and dissociative effect.

Just when the opium and kratom addiction starts bothering you, grow some tabernanthe iboga, have an intense 24 hour hallucination session and risk your long term sanity to get cured of your addiction. African jungle plant that needs humidity and a LOT of heat.

Ephedra sinica requires sandy soil that drains well but is otherwise not too hard to grow, this stimulant containing plant is a source of pseudoephedrine from which you can easily produce methamphetamine and turn yourself into a toothless zombie.

San Pedro (Echinopsis pachanoi) and peruvian torch (echinopsis peruviana) are mescaline containing cacti that are reasonably easy to grow apart from the delicate early stages. Great for communing with the eagle spirits of the Andes mountains, once you're done throwing up.

Mimosa hostilis
, another demanding tropical plant also best grown in a small humind and warm greenhouse. This one is an excellent source of dimethyltryptamine which allows you to communicate with aliens.

Banisteriopsis caapi
contains harmaline which is a MAO inhibitor antidepressant and mixed with Mimosa hostilis will produce the Ayahuasca stew which will be your conduit to obtaining ancinet knowledge from the realm of the shaman. If you drink beer or eat cheese the day after consuming a MAO inhibitor substance you may die.

Almost all of the above are legal in most or all of the US.

Follow all these suggestions and soon you will turn your horrible garden into a pleasant drug den

@FiveofSwords On e again, you fail to provide[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]