Criticism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Workers of the world, unite! Then argue about Trotsky and Stalin for all eternity...
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By sokath
[sokath edit: This topic was split by Jaako, but it is was intially in, and with regards to comments made by Prometheus in the Communist Group Concensus thread.]

Prometheus, I don't like your attitude right now. You're toeing a very sensitive line here, between trying to maintain order (which you really don't have to do, that's Jaako's job in this forum), and blatantly insulting other members of this forum.

Comments directed towards other members calling them stupid are not only inapropriate and counterproductive, they are also against the forum rules which I might suggest you read before you go vigilante on all the "stupid" people here.

This is a discussion forum, and the purpose of it is to promote just that, discussion. It's not some authoritarian bugnation where EVERYBODY has to do exactly what YOU tell them to do (on one level because that's not what we're about, and on another, because you don't have the authority to do so). So if somebody wants to go off on a tirade in one of you "concensus" threads, they are more than welcome to. If we as the admin, or Jaako, as moderator, decides that something is inapropriate then we can deal with it. It's not up to you.

This is just a heads-up. I'll give you my golden rule of thumb in these matters: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Regards,

S./
Last edited by sokath on 29 May 2003 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
By Comrade Ogilvy
This does not belong here. There are other way through which you can contact me, eg. 'Private Msg.'

sokath wrote:Prometheus, I don't like your attitude right now. You're toeing a very sensitive line here, between trying to maintain order (which you really don't have to do, that's Jaako's job in this forum), and blatantly insulting other members of this forum.

If I don't like something, I'll try to fix it, and by doing so, I insulted no one. All I did is tell those who deserved it that their digressive and/or provocative comments have no place in this thread.

sokath wrote:Comments directed towards other members calling them stupid are not only inapropriate and counterproductive, they are also against the forum rules which I might suggest you read before you go vigilante on all the "stupid" people here.

Exhibition of stupidity and being essentially stupid are NOT one and the same thing. I never called anyone here stupid.

- Prometheus
By jaakko
Well well... Obviously this topic was set up by 'Prometheus' as a test as how much there are Trotskyites and how much others. There are other threads for Lenin-Stalin-Trotsky debate. I'd suggest that if someone is going to start a new thread, he would consider if that could be posted for on the History forum. The question of Stalin being anti-semite belongs in my opinion to the History forum, because not just communists but many others have an opinion on this. Maybe this way we could reduce the Lenin-Stalin-Trotsky debate a bit here.

About Prometheus' behavior in this thread. I think it's just appropriate for the initiator of a topic to take care things don't go off-topic. That should be the duty of the initiator of any topic. We can't get any organised discussion not to mention proncipled debate, if everyone just starts new topics and leave them to live a life of their own. I don't say there's nothing to criticise on Prom's behavior on some debates here, but this topic ... there's nothing. It's amazing how this simple thread can turn into a debate. Anyway, let's leave this here. Otherwise we might confuse Prometheus' calculations...

Just keep your heads cool, ok?
By Comrade Ogilvy
Dearest Krasniy, Prometheus has no intentions toward becoming your nanny. He couldn't care less what you do, or how you do it, but with one simple qualification - keep him out of it. Once you enter his sphere of activity, you also rightfully become a subject of his compliment/criticism.
By Krasniy Yastreb
While I don't mind being complimented/criticised for a post, I do mind when a criticism is based on an infringement of your own, personal 'sphere of activity'. Such an area exists only in your head. When I start a thread I do not claim it as my own territory and actively 'police' it. That is a job for admins and forum moderators.

So feel free to launch insults, but don't do it under authority you don't have.
By jaakko
As you have noticed, I split this into a new thread. I did because debate arose on questions which would be better dealt separately. I won't do this normally, but this thread was of special type and debate wasn't its purpose. Now it's ok and doesn't disturb the purpose of the original thread. Feel free to continue this here.
By Comrade Ogilvy
As it seems as though I could have received a more coherent response from a drunken man, I will comment only on that which I believe deserves at least some attention.
Third party will have to forgive this move, but I really haven't any spare time to address meaningless babble.

Krasniy Yastreb wrote:Feel free to launch insults, but don't do it under authority you don't have.

First of all, I did not "launch" any personal insults on anyone here, not even you. All I did, with some regard to this, is reproach you for your obvious lack of discipline in connection to a single thread. I don't believe I needed any authority to do that.

-Prometheus
By Yeddi
Your 'third party'"s (my interpretation of said third party) babble, was mearly saying that the topic has been split to preserve the purpose of the original thread. And he is the guy WITH authority.
My 2cents this... Prometheus, from what i've read of your posts it is obvious that you have some intelligence... but your tone of voice probly has alot to be desired... you sound angry, you sound insulting adn you sound arogant, tone it down, is it nessesary to write "meaningless babble" or "more coherent response from a drunken man" no probly not, so just leave them out and your posts will not have that tone.
Okay i'm leaving this thread now... *steps out of No mans land*
By Krasniy Yastreb
Oh man, this is getting comical... :lol:

Prometheus wrote:First of all, I did not "launch" any personal insults on anyone here, not even you.

Well your statements about phenomena of stupidity, undisciplined actions, drunken responses and meaningless babble invite me to take them as insults. In the situation which started this whole thing off, a simple reply like: 'Answer only with A or B please' would suffice, instead of a diatribe against my 'inability to anwer simple questions'. I sense you are an ex-mod from somewhere that sorely misses the power he once had.

Prometheus wrote:All I did, with some regard to this, is reproach you for your obvious lack of discipline in connection to a single thread. I don't believe I needed any authority to do that.

Indeed, you did not need any authority but you backed up your statements with an arrogant authoritarian tone to give them additional 'legality'. You need no authority to make the statement, but you do to talk down to me whilst making it.

Anyway, I'm the diplomatic type that can see where this is going so I'll step out now and give you the last word......
By sokath
Jaako in the future please do not move my posts. It was there for a reason. I was giving Prometheus a warning. I did not want to single him out.

Thanks, :)

S./
By jaakko
sokath wrote:Jaako in the future please do not move my posts. It was there for a reason. I was giving Prometheus a warning. I did not want to single him out.

I moved it with the following posts because I tought it was necessary to make this separated discussion understandable. I wouldn't have splitted the topic unless so many posts had followed. But, if you want I won't move your posts in the future, but leave them where they are if I'm about to split a thread.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Oh would you all stop complaining?? You are being very childish. Prometheus asked a simple A or B question...no need to add so many unecessary comments.

And if you don't like his tone...big deal. Tones don't hurt. Its not as if most here are not guilty of the same thing as well...

So stop bickering like a pack of old men...
By Comrade Ogilvy
Krasniy, I think it is quite obvious that you have no real interests in the solution of this issue whatsoever, but simply to rescue your own ego from any meaningful criticism. I will hence take your “offer” and admit to your 'diplomatic' submission. May you carry on with whatever journeys you wish to take, just make certain that they don’t involve me.

Thank you and good bye.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

But two super wrongs do not make a right. agree

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octob[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]