Democracy as a goal in the USSR - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Workers of the world, unite! Then argue about Trotsky and Stalin for all eternity...
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Leninist wrote:And I recall there was a problem with term limits, namely lack there of, which a democracy should have to ensure a good turn over of leadership.

This is a problem with using terms that are relatively vague like "Democracy." If term limits for the chief executive are required, then the USA would not be considered a democracy until the early 1950s (or if a complete enfranchisement is required, then the 1960s). The point is that democracy is a broad term, and as Marx pointed out in even his early works: it's necessary to distinguish between formal and actual democracy, between existing bourgeois democracy and a potential working class democracy.

For example I would say that Cuba is a democracy despite the lack of formal votes for the executive. It's just not a democracy in the same sense that the United States is a democracy.
KurtFF8 wrote:This is a problem with using terms that are relatively vague like "Democracy." If term limits for the chief executive are required, then the USA would not be considered a democracy until the early 1950s (or if a complete enfranchisement is required, then the 1960s). The point is that democracy is a broad term, and as Marx pointed out in even his early works: it's necessary to distinguish between formal and actual democracy, between existing bourgeois democracy and a potential working class democracy.

For example I would say that Cuba is a democracy despite the lack of formal votes for the executive. It's just not a democracy in the same sense that the United States is a democracy.

Those are fair points. Literally, Democracy just means rule by citizens/people in Greek, so a system which only counts men as citizens (or people) but lets them all vote would technically be a democracy. I do not mean that without term limits you cannot have a democracy, I simply mean they are a good way to try and combat over concentration of power into one person.
But actually, neither the US or Cuba is a democracy, they are both Republics. In true democracies the people vote directly on matters of political importance. That was what the ancient Greeks did, mainly by shouting or orating to a crowd on the issue and then putting it to a vote.

Accusations of antisemitism have been weaponized. […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Is the solution to support more Oct 7ths? If your[…]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]