Capitalist pigs win again - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Workers of the world, unite! Then argue about Trotsky and Stalin for all eternity...
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Most people in developed countries own either a PC (be it a desktop or a laptop), a tablet, a smartphone and/or an ebook reader. Certainly some kind of device you can read PDFs in.

Many working class people do in fact like tablets and e-readers because you can pirate books and read them for free. If you read a lot, you make up the cost quickly. In fact downloading the complete works of various Marxist intellectuals into some sort of device for free is likely the single most affordable way to study Marxism.
Many working class people do in fact like tablets and e-readers because you can pirate books and read them for free. If you read a lot, you make up the cost quickly. In fact downloading the complete works of various Marxist intellectuals into some sort of device for free is likely the single most affordable way to study Marxism.

Actually, visiting a library is the single most affordable way to study Marxism.

As Donald has pointed out, it is almost impossible to mark up or annotate e-books, which makes using an e-book as a study text problematic. The advantage of physical printed books is that it is possible to interact with them physically. Surely, as a materialist, you can appreciate that?
Potemkin wrote:Actually, visiting a library is the single most affordable way to study Marxism.

I've seen some public libraries with a dramatic lack of Marxist literature.

Potemkin wrote:As Donald has pointed out, it is almost impossible to mark up or annotate e-books, which makes using an e-book as a study text problematic. The advantage of physical printed books is that it is possible to interact with them physically. Surely, as a materialist, you can appreciate that?

I can appreciate that... But you can markup and annotate with the right e-reader software, such as CALIBRE :P

Annotations Plugin FTW!
I've seen some public libraries with a dramatic lack of Marxist literature.

Most public libraries have a good selection of Marxist literature. I can remember in the 1970s, my local public library in Bury (a shithole satellite town in Greater Manchester) possessed the complete works of V.I. Lenin, which filled several shelves. You must have some pretty shitty public libraries in your neck of the woods....
Most public libraries have a good selection of Marxist literature. I can remember in the 1970s, my local public library in Bury (a shithole satellite town in Greater Manchester) possessed the complete works of V.I. Lenin, which filled several shelves. You must have some pretty shitty public libraries in your neck of the woods....

Are you serious? I am afraid things have changed somewhat in the modern world apart from history public libraries are woefully understocked for anything decent.

Decky, help?

The anarchists are saying we should study Marxism on tablets.

Meh does it matter? They also say that the propaganda of the deed will liberate the working class, lets all break into banks and shit everywhere! That will sort everything out...
Are you serious?

Oh yes.

I am afraid things have changed somewhat in the modern world apart from history public libraries are woefully understocked for anything decent.

Personally, I blame Thatcher....
Potemkin wrote:Actually, visiting a library is the single most affordable way to study Marxism.

As Donald has pointed out, it is almost impossible to mark up or annotate e-books, which makes using an e-book as a study text problematic. The advantage of physical printed books is that it is possible to interact with them physically. Surely, as a materialist, you can appreciate that?

I can tell from experience that public libraries are woefully lacking in marxist books, even libraries named "British Library".

Beside you are not supposed to mark or annotate a library book.

The best way is to get a pen and paper and make notes which you can also do with an ebook and if you are making notes (guaranteed, that its more laborious) there is no need for annotations and its much much more rewarding.
Potemkin wrote:As Donald has pointed out, it is almost impossible to mark up or annotate e-books, which makes using an e-book as a study text problematic.

That is completely false. I never used to mark up or annotate books until I got a Kindle, which not only allows you to make notes and highlights, but actually has a search function that makes it easy and convenient to find them afterwards.
That is completely false. I never used to mark up or annotate books until I got a Kindle, which not only allows you to make notes and highlights, but actually has a search function that makes it easy and convenient to find them afterwards.

You mean this? I remain to be convinced....
I can't believe you deviants mark up your books. There are these things called notebooks you monsters.

Comrade Stalin habitually marked up his books. Scholars and historians have actually learned a great deal about Stalin's thinking and attitudes from reading his marginalia.
Potemkin wrote:You mean this? I remain to be convinced....

From the article:

"At present, annotating an e-book with a stylus is about as handy as marking up a Norton anthology with a Crayola. The amount of clicking required to two-finger type a note using the Kindle's mini keyboard is even worse."

I'm sorry if some old fogey can't handle a keyboard. For a millennial like myself, it's the most natural thing in the world.
Honestly old people need to understand the world has past them by (and will pass us current youth as well). I'm looking forward to the day when I bemoan the youth for not appreciating the moral values we had in the old days with gangster rap.
Basically it doesn't matter, what is the best way of reading, even if reading online is the worst way, its still a loss and traitors responsible for this shall be hanged at the opportune moment.
It's remarkably easy to annotate using a touchscreen stylus and a Swype-style keyboard. And it lets you jump from highlight to highlight and grep through your annotations for easy future reference. Studying in an e-reader is actually EASIER. And you can fulldiskencrypt and pattern-protect those things for privacy.

@Rich Malcolm X Day is commemorated in various[…]

- Israel should remove all of its illegal settle[…]

Trump pledges to scrap offshore wind projects on[…]

...People tend to empathize with victims of viole[…]