What is the appeal of Althusserian anti-humanism? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Workers of the world, unite! Then argue about Trotsky and Stalin for all eternity...
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
My best impression is he served as a hulwark against the degeneration of Marxism in to a liberal individualist moralizing. But at the same time I find the effort to create a purely objective science misguided and doesn’t advance the position of an active working class as they are to be subject to ideology and lead by the intelligentsia beyond ideology.

I fond myself rubbing up against Althusserian antihumanists a lot due to my sympathies for Illyenkov and Vygotsky I think.
Wellsy wrote:
My best impression is he served as a hulwark against the degeneration of Marxism in to a liberal individualist moralizing. But at the same time I find the effort to create a purely objective science misguided and doesn’t advance the position of an active working class as they are to be subject to ideology and lead by the intelligentsia beyond ideology.

I fond myself rubbing up against Althusserian antihumanists a lot due to my sympathies for Illyenkov and Vygotsky I think.

Frankfurt School, that's why -- postmodernism. It's the academic selling-out of the working class.
ckaihatsu wrote:Frankfurt School, that's why -- postmodernism. It's the academic selling-out of the working class.

A reaction to making marxism an academic liberal fancy then? Because I took Habbermas as one the early critics if postmodernism.
Wellsy wrote:
A reaction to making marxism an academic liberal fancy then? Because I took Habbermas as one the early critics if postmodernism.

Good call:

Habermas versus postmodernists

Habermas offered some early criticisms in an essay, "Modernity versus Postmodernity" (1981),[28] which has achieved wide recognition. In that essay, Habermas raises the issue of whether, in light of the failures of the twentieth century, we "should try to hold on to the intentions of the Enlightenment, feeble as they may be, or should we declare the entire project of modernity a lost cause?"[29] Habermas refuses to give up on the possibility of a rational, "scientific" understanding of the life-world.

Habermas has several main criticisms of postmodernism:

1. Postmodernists are equivocal about whether they are producing serious theory or literature;

2. Postmodernists are animated by normative sentiments, but the nature of those sentiments remains concealed from the reader;

3. Postmodernism has a totalizing perspective that fails "to differentiate phenomena and practices that occur within modern society";[29]

4. Postmodernists ignore everyday life and its practices, which Habermas finds absolutely central.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrg ... modernists

And:

Positivism dispute

Main article: Positivism dispute

The positivism dispute was a political-philosophical dispute between the critical rationalists (Karl Popper, Hans Albert) and the Frankfurt School (Theodor Adorno, Jürgen Habermas) in 1961, about the methodology of the social sciences. It grew into a broad discussion within German sociology from 1961 to 1969.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If there is no evidence, then the argument that th[…]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-pro[…]

Wishing to see the existence of a massively nucle[…]

I was reading St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain t[…]