Radical writer Alexander Cockburn dead at 71 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Source

NEW YORK — Radical writer Alexander Cockburn, a longtime columnist for The Nation and editor of the political newsletter CounterPunch, died Friday in Germany at age 71.

He had been receiving treatment for two years for cancer, his fellow editor at CounterPunch, Jeffrey St. Clair, wrote on the publication's website.

Cockburn, who lived in recent years in Petrolia, Calif., was known for an acidic pen that spared few on either the left or right for policies that he felt were hypocritical or corrupt.

In his last column for The Nation, published July 11, he lamented the "culture of rabid criminality" in the international banking system and predicted that even reform and tough enforcement wouldn't save it from eventual collapse.

In another recent missive, he likened President Barack Obama to North Korean dictator Kim Jong Il for supporting the handling of suspected terrorists in military, rather than civilian courts — a step he called another "mile marker in the steady slide of the U.S. downhill towards the status of a banana republic."

Cockburn infuriated some liberals by writing skeptically about global warming, and bothered neoconservatives with his ferocious attacks on Israel.

"He was an extraordinarily provocative, polemical, elegant columnist and writer. And he certainly was someone who never wavered in dissenting from what was the conventional line," said Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor and publisher of The Nation.

Cockburn disclosed his illness to only a few people.

In his essay announcing Cockburn's death, St. Clair wrote that he kept quiet about the cancer because he didn't want friends and readers showering him with sympathy.

"His body was deteriorating, but his prose remained as sharp, lucid and deadly as ever," St. Clair wrote.

Born in Scotland in 1941 and raised in Ireland, Cockburn was the son of the British novelist Claud Cockburn. In the 1970s and 80s he wrote for the Village Voice, but was fired for taking a $10,000 grant from the Institute of Arab Studies to write a book about Israel's invasion of Lebanon. He also had a column for a time in the Wall Street Journal.

But his longest affiliation was with The Nation, where Cockburn wrote columns for decades attacking U.S. foreign policy, lambasting the mainstream press and assailing Democrats for not being progressive enough. He also became known for his battles in print with a fellow columnist at The Nation, Christopher Hitchens. He co-founded CounterPunch with St. Clair in 1996.

"His range was extraordinary. He could write about fox hunting, and he could write about foreign intervention," vanden Heuvel said. "We had disagreements. And it was an honor, in many ways, to join the growing list of people Alexander would attack with his pen."
—Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Sorry I just saw this now. I certainly admire his resourcefulness in maintaining CounterPunch and his journalistic writings in general. But he is not a very systematic thinker and I would be hard pressed to think of any singular contribution to Left thinking. Maybe others who have read more of his work would like to correct me. This is another sad reminder that radicals of the 60s and 70s are gradually phasing out of the historical stage, and it would be intriguing to see how this may or may not affect the Left.
As an assist to non English readers , his name is pronounced "Co-burn"

I didn't want non English readers to confuse his name with his cause of death
Another smoker cut down in his golden years. RIP.

HoniSoit wrote:This is another sad reminder that radicals of the 60s and 70s are gradually phasing out of the historical stage

Didn't this already happen a long time ago? The radical left in North America today is still in the senior custody of generation X and veterans of '90s anti-globalization and environmentalist agitation.

68'ers are embalmed legends, but they are gone. They either voted for Reagan in 1981 or they turned themselves in to the police.
Donald wrote:Didn't this already happen a long time ago?

The intellectual Left is still made up by many radicals of the 1960s. In fact, despite its activism, I don't think the anti-globalisation movement has produced many intellectuals of distinction. But of course my point is that they are dying out, literally.

I can think of a number of left-wing radicals, or ex-radicals, of the 68's generation that passed away in the past two or three years. Just before Alex Cockburn's death there was Christopher Hitchens and before him Fred Halliday. And there were less well-known figures outside of the Troskyist Left like Chris Harman and Peter Gowan. Those that are still active like Tarqi Ali and Perry Anderson continue to shape the Left's intellectual agenda.
Those that are still active like Tarqi Ali and Perry Anderson continue to shape the Left's intellectual agenda.

Well they shape a specific part of the Left's intellectual agenda of course. There are also folks like Zizek, Harvey, and that school of communist philosophers (I'm thinking here of the folks involved in the various conferences of the past few years) who don't quite follow the same "New Left" tradition in the same way of the New Left Review (although with their relation to Verso books, they are certainly not strangers to it either).
Kurt wrote:Well they shape a specific part of the Left's intellectual agenda of course. There are also folks like Zizek, Harvey, and that school of communist philosophers (I'm thinking here of the folks involved in the various conferences of the past few years) who don't quite follow the same "New Left" tradition in the same way of the New Left Review (although with their relation to Verso books, they are certainly not strangers to it either).

Yes, absolutely. David Harvey is one among a number of academically-oriented Marxists - I can also think of Giovanni Arrighi (who also died fairly recently) and Immanuel Wallerstein - who have been strong intellectual forces on the Marxian(-inspired) Left. These are, as you said, not of the New Left tradition but neither are they part of the anti-globalisation movement though obviously they are very sympathetic. We can agree there are various dominant strands of Left influences present at the moment, and I think the 68's generation is still very strong but the people are dying out. By the way, who are the communist philosophers are you thinking of?

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]