Robert Bork passes away - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/20 ... -dies?lite

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/111284/we ... rking-bork

America would be a very different and perhaps more conservative place today if Joe Biden hadn't Borked Bork. The Borking of Bork marked a significant change in American politics as previously, Supreme Court appointees had not been so closely scrutinized. His passing could be viewed as a milestone in that judicial politics are still here and likely they will be here to stay.

When I was younger I viewed the Borking as a good thing, today I am not so sure. The impact that the borking has had on our politics was certainly a negative thing though.

For me, Robert Bork was a good example of how deep conservatism is compared to liberalism. Compare Bork's "A Country I Do Not Recognize: The Legal Assault on American Values" to vacuous, conclusory analysis like "Twilight of the Elites" which is the current liberal bible written by a news anchor. These differences matter.

Rest in Peace Robert Bork!
Last edited by Rainbow Crow on 20 Dec 2012 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Scamp wrote:Yea he got Borked because he just wasn't a female or a minority or a queer.

Not Liberal enough for the new America.

Rest In Peace Judge Bork.
You are probably correct, since Clarence Thomas is likely more conservative than Robert Bork was, but the Democrats let him in because he is black.
Scamp wrote:Yea he got Borked because he just wasn't a female or a minority or a queer.

Not Liberal enough for the new America.

Rainbow Crow wrote:Clarence Thomas is likely more conservative than Robert Bork was, but the Democrats let him in because he is black.

Conspiracy theory overload... CPU shutting down...
You think they would confirm Thomas but not Bork, over their conservative positions?

Tell me more about Clarence Thomas' liberalism.

[youtube]egTyaIAaqz8[/youtube]

"High tech lynching." The Democrats caved immediately after this statement. Biden is right there in the video giving up at ten seconds into the speech.
Rainbow Crow wrote:You are probably correct, since Clarence Thomas is likely more conservative than Robert Bork was, but the Democrats let him in because he is black.

Yes, and I'd say he's easily the most intellectually consistent member of the court. I think he's substantially under-rated simply because he is black and conservative. If he were white, my guess is that his rigor would be more widely recognized.

Bork was a strict constructionist. He even noted to liberal horror that the constitution was silent on one-man-one-vote, which is quite right. Only white male property owners had the right to vote at the time of the founding. The English common law did allow for weighted voting.

Rainbow Crow wrote:Tell me more about Clarence Thomas' liberalism.

I wouldn't call Thomas liberal at all. I just think that Bork was impolitic to liberals in actually telling the truth. They were mostly interested in protecting Roe v. Wade, which is politically popular among liberals even though from the standpoint of jurisprudence it's absolutely horrible. Politics is supposed to be subject to political control, not judicial control. For example, the way New York handled gay marriage is absolutely exemplary. The way Massachusetts did (judicial fiat) is horrible, but that doesn't matter to liberals. They only care about having things their way.
The Borking thing was an important precedent in the naked politicization of the Supreme Court. Bork was not the radical he seemed. He simply said that privacy was not in the Constitution but the government could create a right to privacy via legislation even if it was not in the Constitution.

Nonsense. The tweet by the local SJP chapter shows[…]

@Pants-of-dog it is not under dispute that impor[…]

@FiveofSwords still has not clarified what it m[…]

I also suspect it is likely she contracted the fun[…]