Israel's Shimon Peres dies at age 93 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

I'm Israeli. Personally I think he caused lots of damage and suffering to Israeli people, mainly in his ill-judged "peace" initiative with the Palestinians. Unlike current much abused prime minister, he did't hold stern Jewish pride which can stand firmly on Israel prime and foremost interests against the whole world. No matter what the rest of the world says. But today when it was announced that he passed away, I wept. Why? Because whatever we say, at the last stand, he represent the last member of the founding father of State of Israel. It's funny. In the 90's after the horrible terror attacks that Oslo accord brought with it, I prayed for him to stand on trial for treachery which compromised fundamental Israel's security and interests. And here today, I'm crying.

BBC news wrote:
Former Israeli PM and president Shimon Peres has died aged 93, reports say.

He suffered a stroke two weeks ago and his condition improved before a sudden deterioration on Tuesday.

Mr Peres, who was one of the last of a generation of Israeli politicians present at the new nation's birth in 1948, served twice as the country's prime minister and once as president.

He won the Nobel Peace prize in 1994 for his role negotiating peace accords with the Palestinians a year earlier.
He once said the Palestinians were Israel's "closest neighbours" and might become its "closest friends".

Mr Peres shared his Nobel Peace Prize with Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, who was later assassinated, and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.

At the start of his long political career, he was put in charge of personnel and arms purchases for the Haganah, the predecessor of the Israel Defense Forces.

He secured a deal with France to supply the new Israeli nation with Mirage jet fighters. He also set up Israel's secret nuclear facility.

Once an advocate of Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank, Peres later became a leading political dove. He often spoke of the need for compromise over territorial demands in Palestinian areas.

He maintained an active public schedule into old age, mostly through his non-governmental Peres Centre for Peace, which promotes closer ties between Israel and the Palestinians.
Great person!

He almost succeeded in establishing the two states, with the help of Bil Clinton..... so close

I believe it was the terrorist origination Hamas ( Amazingly to go on to become democratically elected !)
that as usual, put the poison into the works,

Terrorist states value their Power !!

Two states = less power.....and then who would they demonize?
No, Elyzabeth. He wasn't great. It is the Zionist ideal which is great. The honor that he got today shows how thin is the line between treachery and the almost universal respect. I remember how I danced when he lost the election to the presidency in the early 2000. It was a sweet joy. A bitter revenge for his Oslo "peace" accord. BTW, the Arabs and their friends (Robert Fisk et al.) called him today war criminal.
noir wrote:No, Elyzabeth. He wasn't great. It is the Zionist ideal which is great. The honor that he got today shows how thin is the line between treachery and the almost universal respect. I remember how I danced when he lost the election to the presidency in the early 2000. It was a sweet joy. A bitter revenge for his Oslo "peace" accord. BTW, the Arabs and their friends (Robert Fisk et al.) called him today war criminal.

The Aras consider all jewfish people to be war criminals...Par for the course.

The Oslo was such a strong hope for peace and ending the insanity?

"Operative Paragraph One "Affirms that the fulfillment of Charter principles requires the establishment of a just and lasting peace in the Middle East which should include the application of both the following principles:

(i) Withdrawal of Israeli armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict;(ii) Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgment of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of every State in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force."[4]
Simon Peres did major damage to Israel international and domestically. By violating Israeli law and bringing the PLO from the brink of utter defeat he was in large part responsible for the death and maiming of thousands of Israelis.

The political damage he caused to Israel is still growing.

Sorry but those are the facts. He should have been arrested and put in jail.
Still nagging about betrayal and treachery. I have no doubt that if Peres would have been lived during the Holocaust, he would become a collaborator, on behalf of the Nazis (Judenrat) like many Jews of his make up. Not a slightest doubt. His "peace" turn only occurred after sustain worldwide propaganda which he didn't find the right stamina to stand against it. He reminds me this Warsaw Ghetto Jewish traitor, Alfred Nossig

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Nossig
un factual statement based of nothing but the desire to so smear and denigrate some one that rational debate is not longer possible,.

The Hard line Israeli Right, there is no slur they wont go with. when you arguments are weak just go with idiotic abuse without any foundation.
Not Right wing. It's easy to dismiss views you can't understand by throwing such accusations. Do you think his mentors in Israel's Labour movement who founded Israel, would agreed to Oslo accord? Ben Gurion, Golda, Dayan? No way! They were true guardians of Jewish interests. They refused to wave to any pressure no matter how strong it was. But Peres decided that it can't be that the whole of the world is wrong and only little Israel is right. Today with the collapse of the Middle East to its tribal parts we can witness how foolish the world perceptions of the ME troubles were indeed all these years.
Last edited by noir on 04 Oct 2016 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
your claim that he would have been a collaborator is based on nothing. it is merely abuse.

you want to make some coherent argument that Oslo was against Israeli interests, fine make an argument. which you were not doing, what you posted was simple abuse, making unfounded allegations without any foundation.

Do you really think that no agreement is possible and all that is left to do is either expel the Palestinians or permanently hold them under occupation?
I've read a lot about the Judenrat. Any one who didn't read this part of history would not understand who they were and why they acted as they did. They were not evil people. They thought they are going with the time.

@Potemkin and @ingliz have we discussed what t[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hopefully, we will all get what we deserve. Frie[…]

My take from this discussion is that @QatzelOk w[…]

Semafor. :lol: The Intercept :lol: