King Bhumibol of Thailand dies, aged 88 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Maha Vajiralongkorn is the crown prince of Thailand and he is set to inherit the throne. The deceased monarch was responsible for providing political stability to Thailand by reining in the dangerous military. Without him, Thailand would be like Burma and it's up to the heir to the throne to maintain economic prosperity of the country that people enjoyed under King Bhumibol. In a way, Thailand is quite similar to wartime Japan that was under threat of the unruly military, which Hirohito had to control.
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 14 Oct 2016 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
Jessup your criticism is silly. Political theory states that polities go through stages of anacyclosis(recycling), for polities to transcend each stage, it needs to happen organically and not forced or in a hurry because errors take place during such transitions. An interesting point is that even for classical Athenians who were extremely anti-monarchical, monarchy was categorised along with aristocracy and democracy into the 'benign' forms of government, while tyranny, oligarchy and ochlocracy were categorised as the 'malignant' forms of government, so by that logic oligarchy, tyranny and ochlocracy are essentially worse than aristocracy and monarchy.

Also there is the false assumption that if you are democratic by name, you have a democracy which is obviously not true and the other erroneous assumption is that if you replace the King with a ceremonial President you transcend into some higher plane of existence which is also obviously not true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacyclosis
The Greek President is even worse and despite the fact that he does not actually have any power, he is quite the idiot or rather he is everything that is wrong with Greece and it's a shame that someone like him ended up there. Also the Presidency was the reason Greece had premature elections(parliament failed to elect a new President when his time was up for more than 5 times and so general elections had to be called), she got sidetracked and even from the perspective of SYRIZA that was a loss in the end.
That's irrelevant to Monarchy though, you can still say it in Britain and no problem, also you can say that in Thailand I guess.

Are you thinking of Joffrey? :D
I guess it might be an East-Asian thing, it would be even worse in other Asian countries without Kings, like N. Korea, Phillipiness. So I don't think it has to do with the Monarchy per se.
Donald wrote:Thailand is also known for its sex tourism and human trafficking.
Many countries are more known for sex tourism than Thailand(which isn't Christian, so they don't have the same puritanical views on sex). Human trafficking is a big problem in a great many countries(including the US). Every country in the world has their problems.

Donald wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would want to live there.
Because some people travel and find that every place is not the same, and that a couple problems in a country, doesn't mean the country is bad. The ignorant and uneducated often talk like you do. I suppose the fact that Thailand is a lovely tropical paradise, with friendly people, great food, thriving culture, and good quality of life might not be seen as good reasons to live somewhere, to you.

I'd rather you not come to Thailand anyhow, Donald. Please, by all means, stay far away.

jessupjonesjnr87 wrote:Fifteen years for speaking ill of King Bumhole, fuck that guy and his family.
He's loved by the vast majority of the population. Talking like that might not get you arrested, but you might get a kick to the head by an insulted Thai. Slander, for the general population, has rather high penalties as well. This simply carries a much higher penalty for the much revered royalty.

You don't get 15 years for criticism, but for slander, and that's the most extreme penalty.
Many countries are more known for sex tourism than Thailand(which isn't Christian, so they don't have the same puritanical views on sex). Human trafficking is a big problem in a great many countries(including the US). Every country in the world has their problems.

in my country whenever someone talks about Thailand someone will always mention the prostitutes there. I dont know about any other country that is so popular regarding sex tourism expect Thailand and south american countries
There's very little sex tourism in the north of the country and it mostly occurs in Bangkok and in beach resorts. There is a rampant domestic market with plenty of brothels, massage, karaoke, etc. dedicated to serving the Thai clientele.
The Thai people show up, en masse, to honour their King.

Huge crowds of weeping people line Bangkok streets to pay respects to King who was father of the nation
There seemed no end to the good works in which King Bhumibol was involved. They ranged from lettuce farms and cottage industries such as silk or cotton weaving to dams, schools, clinics and even rain generation plants. The King himself led development programmes in the poorest parts of the country and funded many of them from his own private funds. Successful projects would be passed on to the government for further development.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/huge-crowds-we ... on-1586419

Palestinian armed groups in Gaza do have a history[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

^ His lies are creative at least, I'll give him th[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

^ I shared the Sachs and Meirsheimer videos in her[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]