Max Von Sydow 1929-2020 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Rich
Donna wrote:RIP. The Greatest Story Ever Told is one of my favorite movies.

:lol: That movie made the plot line of the last two series of Game of Thrones look convincing. Mary and Joseph they were a piece of work. Imagine leaving like that without making any attempt to warn their neighbours, leaving the neighbours children to be exterminated.
By Donna
Rich wrote::lol: That movie made the plot line of the last two series of Game of Thrones look convincing. Mary and Joseph they were a piece of work. Imagine leaving like that without making any attempt to warn their neighbours, leaving the neighbours children to be exterminated.

The film was reverent. I doubt someone like you would appreciate that.
Donna wrote:The film was reverent. I doubt someone like you would appreciate that.

It's one of the few life of Jesus films i've just never seen. I think Sydow just plain not looking Jewish at all put me off from watching it, I mean he's not blonde haired blue eyed, but he's definitely not a Jew. I've also never seen Jeffrey Hunter's take on the role even though I heard it was good.

I've seen almost every other film about Jesus:

Godspell(1973): Victor Garber is underrated in this film, he's literally the first actor playing Jesus to actually speak a few lines directly in Hebrew(apart from the usual), yet often gets overlooked due to the hippie style of the movie. One of the only films where the parables of Jesus, as contained in Matthew, are the centre of the film. 4/5

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973): Irreverent musical from Andrew Lloyd Webber, but the movie version has definitely actually improved with time, and famously restored the "resurrection symbolism". Ted Neeley is sensational and It's setting in the legit land of Jesus has helped it age well(you can't help but think of what's happening there today). I can't believe Neeley got criticism for his long hair rockstar portrayal at the time this film came out. I mean his "Gethsemane" is just amazing. And Jesus was a rockstar Rabbi from the Galil. 4.5/5

The Jesus Film(1979): I've always found the title of this one funny. It's THE JESUS FILM, as in its the legit one and only JESUS FILM... Plus the project/charity fund to get this film version seen by every human being on the planet was surprisingly very successful, and it's kinda funny they picked this one. That's because it's a pretty cheesy cheap film saved from obscurity by its suprisingly dynamic high quality acting performance from Brian Deacon, even if the other actors seen to be acting in an entirely different movie altogether. Even with the crappy weird audio dubbing, Deacon manages to deliver an interesting performance in every scene. They did a George Lucas and made a "special edition" a few years back with a new opening sequence with crappy new "special" computer effects, and the worst film titles you've ever seen. Still Deacon's performance saves it regardless. 3.5/5

Jesus Of Nazareth (1977)...... Greatest Jesus movie ever made. 6-hour completist masterpiece with sensational acting from its star-studded cast. It's high degree of cultural accuracy was second to none, until the next film in my list came out. Reviewed it before so I'll keep this short. 5/5

The Passion of the Christ (2004) - Second Greatest Jesus Movie ever made. If you don't think so, screw you. The Hebrew Language movie about Jesus took too long to be made.. . But it was awesome when it finally was..... 5/5.

The Visual Bible: The Gospel of Matthew(1993) - Bruce Marchiano is not Jesus. Only actor I think was terrible in this role. His huggy huggy Jesus is cringe-worthy. Absolute crap. 0/5

The Visual Bible: The Gospel of John (2003) -
Totally unrelated to the other "Visual Bible" film primarily in that it is actually quite enjoyable. Henry Ian Cusack as Jesus goes for a more semetic Sephardic-style second temple period Jewish look and very much succeeds at it. 37% RT score be damned. It seems to have been made by the "Jesus Film" people because it's the alternative "modern" one they use frequently now. 3.5/5

The Last Temptation of Christ - seen it too long ago, but I'll review it anyway. Like alot of people I didn't like it's major deviations from the Gospels. And yes Willem Dafoe is not ancient Jewish looking at all. Still his acting is as usual superb. 3/5

Time Life's Jesus (1999)- Gary Oldman weird, over the top and totally vindictive performance of Pontius Pilate makes this version almost unwatchable. I know they were looking to use his non-Gospel historical record in their characterisation, but he is just totally evil in this version. Jeremy Sisto also kinda sucked. He's not as bad as that time Christian Bale played Jesus, but he's kinda forgettable. 1/5

Ranking the top 5 Jesus actors:

1. Jim Caviezel - No contest he was the best. The fact he is the only one to speak the language of Jesus helps. Naturally Jewish looking.

2. Robert Powell - Jim may be the best, but his film isn't the 6-hour masterpiece which covered the entire life of Jesus. Powell's acting battle with Ian McShane's sympathetic version of Judas is a real highlight.

3. Ted Neeley:

Sooo underrated.

4. Brian Deacon - Cheap and cheese-ridden film. But his interpretation of Jesus is, I'll say it once again, never boring. Not once, not one time.

5. Victor Garber:

Also sooo underrated.
colliric wrote:It's one of the few life of Jesus films i've just never seen. I think Sydow just plain not looking Jewish at all put me off from watching it, I mean he's not blonde haired blue eyed, but he's definitely not a Jew. I've also never seen Jeffrey Hunter's take on the role even though I heard it was good.

I've seen almost every other film about Jesus:

Godspell(1973): Victor Garber is underrated in this film, he's literally the first actor playing Jesus to actually speak a few lines directly in Hebrew(apart from the usual), yet often gets overlooked due to the hippie style of the movie. One of the only films where the parables of Jesus, as contained in Matthew, are the centre of the film. 4/5

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973): Irreverent musical from Andrew Lloyd Webber, but the movie version has definitely actually improved with time, and famously restored the "resurrection symbolism". Ted Neeley is sensational and It's setting in the legit land of Jesus has helped it age well(you can't help but think of what's happening there today). I can't believe Neeley got criticism for his long hair rockstar portrayal at the time this film came out. I mean his "Gethsemane" is just amazing. And Jesus was a rockstar Rabbi from the Galil. 4.5/5

The Jesus Film(1979): I've always found the title of this one funny. It's THE JESUS FILM, as in its the legit one and only JESUS FILM... Plus the project/charity fund to get this film version seen by every human being on the planet was surprisingly very successful, and it's kinda funny they picked this one. That's because it's a pretty cheesy cheap film saved from obscurity by its suprisingly dynamic high quality acting performance from Brian Deacon, even if the other actors seen to be acting in an entirely different movie altogether. Even with the crappy weird audio dubbing, Deacon manages to deliver an interesting performance in every scene. They did a George Lucas and made a "special edition" a few years back with a new opening sequence with crappy new "special" computer effects, and the worst film titles you've ever seen. Still Deacon's performance saves it regardless. 3.5/5

Jesus Of Nazareth (1977)...... Greatest Jesus movie ever made. 6-hour completist masterpiece with sensational acting from its star-studded cast. It's high degree of cultural accuracy was second to none, until the next film in my list came out. Reviewed it before so I'll keep this short. 5/5

The Passion of the Christ (2004) - Second Greatest Jesus Movie ever made. If you don't think so, screw you. The Hebrew Language movie about Jesus took too long to be made.. . But it was awesome when it finally was..... 5/5.

The Visual Bible: The Gospel of Matthew(1993) - Bruce Marchiano is not Jesus. Only actor I think was terrible in this role. His huggy huggy Jesus is cringe-worthy. Absolute crap. 0/5

The Visual Bible: The Gospel of John (2003) -
Totally unrelated to the other "Visual Bible" film primarily in that it is actually quite enjoyable. Henry Ian Cusack as Jesus goes for a more semetic Sephardic-style second temple period Jewish look and very much succeeds at it. 37% RT score be damned. It seems to have been made by the "Jesus Film" people because it's the alternative "modern" one they use frequently now. 3.5/5

The Last Temptation of Christ - seen it too long ago, but I'll review it anyway. Like alot of people I didn't like it's major deviations from the Gospels. And yes Willem Dafoe is not ancient Jewish looking at all. Still his acting is as usual superb. 3/5

Time Life's Jesus (1999)- Gary Oldman weird, over the top and totally vindictive performance of Pontius Pilate makes this version almost unwatchable. I know they were looking to use his non-Gospel historical record in their characterisation, but he is just totally evil in this version. Jeremy Sisto also kinda sucked. He's not as bad as that time Christian Bale played Jesus, but he's kinda forgettable. 1/5

Ranking the top 5 Jesus actors:

1. Jim Caviezel - No contest he was the best. The fact he is the only one to speak the language of Jesus helps. Naturally Jewish looking.

2. Robert Powell - Jim may be the best, but his film isn't the 6-hour masterpiece which covered the entire life of Jesus. Powell's acting battle with Ian McShane's sympathetic version of Judas is a real highlight.

3. Ted Neeley:

Sooo underrated.

4. Brian Deacon - Cheap and cheese-ridden film. But his interpretation of Jesus is, I'll say it once again, never boring. Not once, not one time.

5. Victor Garber:

Also sooo underrated.

Have you seen Pasolini's ''Gospel According to St. Matthew''?

I think it's excellent too;

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]

The young need to be scared into some kind of mor[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous[…]

Anomie: in societies or individuals, a conditi[…]