The Centre Ground - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Private discussion areas.
By Istanbuller
I think there is no gap between the centre right and the far right nowadays, at least in regions like Europe and Eurasia. Even many centre- leftists are being adopted into this.
By Oxymoron
I think you are right, there is no more moderate right which is unfortunate. Since extreme positions can only govern when dominant, this means in a Democracy the Lefties are gaining the advantage. I am speaking about American politics right now obviously, but even in this group most members are toward left. This is scary to think about that the world will be moving even further toward internationalism and PC bullshit.
By Drlee
Perhaps there is a moderate right. The problem in the US is the primary process. In order to get the republican nomination, a candidate must run far to the right because there are a lot of votes there and one can't secure the nomination on the center right vote. (Also remember that in the primary process one is only vying for his/her party's vote. Notice that Romney did this and he was from the start the more centrist of all of the primary contenders. Then in the general election he had to make a mad-dash to the center where most of the country is.

The same is true for the democrats. A primary candidate must run to the left to win the nomination and then dash to the left for the general election. We will see this if Hillary runs in '16. Obama was, in a way, the perfect candidate. He is a very moderate democrat; not at all as far left as most hair-on-fire conservatives try to paint him.
By JohnRawls
I think you are right, there is no more moderate right which is unfortunate. Since extreme positions can only govern when dominant, this means in a Democracy the Lefties are gaining the advantage. I am speaking about American politics right now obviously, but even in this group most members are toward left. This is scary to think about that the world will be moving even further toward internationalism and PC bullshit.

Oh my god, america will be more like ...gasp... Europe. NoooooOOOOO!
By slybaldguy
Political Interest has expressed a strong interest in joining the Centre Ground as founding father. Although, due to issues with his ISP he is currently unable to log into pofo.
Oxymoron wrote:I think you are right, there is no more moderate right which is unfortunate. Since extreme positions can only govern when dominant, this means in a Democracy the Lefties are gaining the advantage. I am speaking about American politics right now obviously, but even in this group most members are toward left. This is scary to think about that the world will be moving even further toward internationalism and PC bullshit.

I think this is a good point. And part of the problem the centre (and problem the moderate left of centre) has in politics today is a lack of folk from the moderate right to engage with.

In a US context I have great respect for John McCain, but no doubt there are many other moderate Republicians who I'd be interested to hear what they have to say in the media, but they are shouted out by the extreme right. Personally, as I may have mentioned ... I can't remember, I am generally moderately left on a lot of social policy and a great deal of economic policy where transnational corporations and financial services are involved, but as far as foreign policy goes some of my thinking isn't that distant from Paul Wolfowitz. As far as PC expression goes, I'm open to perspectives on this from the moderate left to moderate right disposition range ... but the over-the-top-ness of far left and far right positions on this, I walk away from.

Political Interest is cool. I think we have 20 Founding Members now.
Ombrageux: we have our 20 Founding Members in place - so perhaps your case can be the first test of the vote in system where you need 50.01 % of the vote to get the nod for entry. If this is ok with you maybe we can run the poll.
By U184
From what I remember, Ombrageux is rather centered and is calm and collected. I have not qualms about motioning that he undergo a vote in.

Slybaldguy, SF asked if I wanted to give out the remainder of my membership. I answered in a report, as I am unable to answer PM's at this time, that said remaining time should be transferred to you, since you asked.

I am unsure if SF, got said information, perhaps you should make an inquiry.
By Istanbuller
Being close to the center does not mean being moderate every time. Actually being moderate is subjective. You are moderate according to who?

Being a follower of a particular ideology and moving on that way make more sense to me
By Thunderhawk
May I join The Centre Ground?

Kudos on proper spelling.
SD ... If poss. please put up a vote for the new members.

It has been a bit quiet, but I think this is the time of year.

I've had a lot on with my work so have mostly only been making quick odd posts this month.
By anna
slybaldguy wrote:We have very rigorous entry requirements.

Is it a pass/no pass kind of vote? If requirements include % corrupt, I probably don't have much of a chance.
By anna
unbalanced zealot wrote:No, it's a simple yes/no vote from the membership base. 50.01 % is enough to get the nod.

Okay. I'll await my fate.

What interests are those? Helping Ukraine to de[…]

@wat0n Your obsession with sexual violence is[…]

Since you keep insisting on pretending that the I[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]