The Perennial Society - Page 13 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Private discussion areas.
By Paradigm
Goldberk wrote:It puzzles me however that you (and others) can claim to accept the rationality of leftist thought whilst engaging in magic belief.

The "rationality" of leftist thought? I'm a leftist for moral reasons. Rational analysis of material conditions is necessary for understanding how to challenge the structures of capitalist oppression, but does not tell you why we must challenge those conditions. One does not need to reject rationality to accept that there is more to the world than that which can be known through reason alone.
Does the perennial society take a relaxed attitude towards homosexuality? Would it support gay marriage for instance? Do you accept the holy scriptures as the word of God? Or is this just some bourgeois liberal group for hispters who wish to try on the Papal Tiara?
By Potemkin
The idea of morality external to human intellect, experience puzzles me,

How so? It's a widely accepted idea, from the Presocratics to Kant and beyond....

what use this intellect, with an external logos?

It is through our intellect that we can come to understand the Logos, and so bring our behaviour into harmony with the eternal and, yes, divine order of the Cosmos. These ideas were common currency as early as the time of the Presocratics, Goldberk.
By Donna
For the time being, new membership is now closed until the club materializes into being. I would like to thank everyone who has thus far joined.

slybaldguy wrote:Does the perennial society take a relaxed attitude towards homosexuality? Would it support gay marriage for instance? Do you accept the holy scriptures as the word of God? Or is this just some bourgeois liberal group for hispters who wish to try on the Papal Tiara?

Please see the OP for more information on The Perennial Society.
By Goldberk
I do not claim that the existence of these concepts are new or not widely held, I question their validity.

The idea of an abstracted morality based on an external set of conditions is a result of the dominance of a masculine world view, one focused on justice, individualism, and hierarchy
By fuser
I am in complete agreement with Comrade Goldberk here, its a pity that most of the members of perennial society are also part of far left.
Basically, regarding the whole thing about the external set of conditions, in quite a number of the religions on the list, the conditions tend to be "you should try to cause such and such to happen", more so than "you should not do such and such".

Also, I think that because of the diversity of the allowed groups, it doesn't prescribe anything other than 'have a religion'. I don't think Donald is up to anything weird.
By fuser
Dagoth Ur wrote:It would only be a pity if we weren't still consistent leftists. But don't let that get in the way of your fundame- err... atheism.

Obviously religious comrades are not consistent leftists (that's the whole issue or else it wouldn't matter) even when they are great leftists. And fundamentalism? What fundamentalism or is this has become new fad like, "you are fascist".
By Potemkin
Obviously religious comrades are not consistent leftists (that's the whole issue or else it wouldn't matter) even when they are great leftists.

As a matter of historical record, you are incorrect, fuser. The concept of 'leftism' was invented during the French Revolution (the 'leftists' were those members of the National Constituent Assembly who sat on the left; the 'rightists' were the conservatives and moderates who sat on the right of the Assembly. Those leftists - the original 'leftists' - were Deists almost to a man. Robespierre, for example, tried to impose the Cult of the Supreme Being as the official state religion of the French Republic, and even dressed up in robes and everything.

And fundamentalism? What fundamentalism or is this has become new fad like, "you are fascist".

One-sided atheism, taken to extremes, can become a disguised form of fundamentalism. As I told Drlee, at the heart of unbelief there is faith and at the heart of faith there is unbelief.

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over main[…]

The rapes by Hamas, real or imagained are irreleva[…]

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia coul[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]