World's Fastest Roads - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Dr House
I-75 (Alligator Alley), Florida
82.9 miles

South Florida's I-75 cuts across the Everglades with a pin-straight stretch that mocks law-abiding citizens with its monotony. But those seeking the outer limits of speed will take pleasure in its broad visibility and few places for highway patrols to hide. A widening project in the 90's reduced the Alley's environmental impact by creating bypass points for wildlife. That means more alley, less alligator.

A81 (Gottmadingen to Weinsberg), Baden-Württemberg, Germany
121 miles

EU regulators are pressuring the German government to slap speed caps on the unrestricted portions of the country's famed autobahns, but Chancellor Merkel has so far upheld her citizen's right to velocity. Construction delays and heavy traffic plague parts of the system, but not this quiet leg: a 121-mile speed-limit-free miles of Teutonic tarmac. Due to its proximity to Stuttgart, it's reputedly one of Porsche's favorite testing routes.

A6 (Mumbai-Pune Expressway), Maharashtra, India
55 miles

Completed in 2002, this road links India's largest ports with inland farms and factories. It's one of the country's first access-controlled expressways, with six lanes of virgin concrete. An exorbitant toll and a ban on three-wheeled vehicles and tractors makes it an ideal place for the sub-continent's nouveau (tech) riche to unleash their Ferraris. One local car club reports that speeds of 170-plus mph are common.

Goudies Road, Reporoa, New Zealand
9.1 miles

Middle-Earthlings are notorious gearheads, and Goudies Road, a flat strip of two-lane blacktop on the North island region, is a favorite place to test their metal. It boasts some serious racing pedigree: Owen Evans set the New Zealand land speed record there in 1996, reaching 216.385 mph before blowing a tire and crashing spectacularly (he survived). But while few police patrol Goudies, there is one potential speed deterrent: fog.

Attiki Odos, Greece
35.7 miles

The $1.8 billion Attiki Odos was completed just in time to ease congestion during the 2004 Athens Olympics. The speed limit varies from 60 to 75 mph, but a quick trip to youtube proves the extent to which drivers flaunt the rules: There are more than 90 high-speed videos of the Attiki on the Infobahn. No worries of road salt corrosion or icy patches here. Temperatures rarely dip below frost point.

-Wired July 2008

I think I'll rent a Mustang Cobra or an Evo and make a run on Alligator Alley next time I'm down in Fla. It's perfect, because I can go from my uncle's house in Ft Lauderdale to my grandpa's in Naples straight through there.

-Dr House :smokin:
By Dr House
No one interested?
By John08
Sorry Doc, but a 9 mile an hour road, it's not that interesting.
By Dr House
a 9 mile an hour road
:eh:?
By Thunderhawk
Perhaps he mistook the length of the road for it speed.

Unless you post average, or extreme, speeds of these road, I dont see why I should care too much. My friend recently went ~205 KPH on a new stretch of highway. He was speeding, but it was still done. Those only thing notable about the roads listed is that one can floor it legally. Those who like to speed probably dont care too much about the legal issues though.
By John08
Goudies Road, Reporoa, New Zealand
9.1 miles

The title is 'worlds fastest'
By Oxymoron
The Verrazano Bridge has a high flow of traffic and high winds plus lots of MTA Police. These facts didnt stop me in my great teenage wisdom to accelarate my BMW convertible to 140 MPH with no seatbelt nearly launching me into the Atlantic ocean.
By Thunderhawk
John08 wrote:Sorry Doc, but a 9 mile an hour road, it's not that interesting.

The title is 'worlds fastest'

9.1 miles is the length of the road, not the speed limit. :p

Oxymoron wrote:These facts didnt stop me in my great teenage wisdom to accelarate my BMW convertible to 140 MPH

Are limiters mandatory in the USA?
Whats the limit?
Was there one on your BMW?
By Oxymoron
Are limiters mandatory in the USA?

Dont know.

Whats the limit?

Sont know.

Was there one on your BMW?

Yep.
By hannu
Speed is relative to the bends you're going round.

Have these roads got bends or are they just a straight line?
By Dr House
Those only thing notable about the roads listed is that one can floor it legally.

Actually, in most of them you can't do it legally. The notable things about them are that...
  • There is very little traffic.
  • There's nowhere for cops to hide, or alternately there are no cops.
  • They are very straight compared to most freeways.
  • They are glass smooth.
  • They don't, or rarely do, frost over.
All of which make them the most ideal places in the World for flooring it.

As for speeds, the average speed on Alligator Alley (which has a top speed of 75 mph) is 90. It's not unusual for speeds above 170 mph to be posted on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, which is mainly used by commercial lorries and IT nerds driving Ferraris. Dunno about the others.
By Dave
Thunderhawk wrote:Are limiters mandatory in the USA?

No. Faggots in Congress attempted to do so in early 1980s, but Lee Iacocca lobbied successfully to stop the attempt.

Thunderhawk wrote:Whats the limit?

The proposed limiter was 85 miles per hour. While this sinister proposal was defeated, one artifact of the proposal is that many cars made in the 1980s will not display a speed over 85mph on the speedometer.

Thunderhawk wrote:Was there one on your BMW?

BMW limits its vehicles to 155 miles per hour.
By Abood
What's the average speed in those roads? I bet you anything that any highway in Kuwait would beat them all.

That’s not what Hitler found in 1939-1945. :) Hi[…]

Weird of you to post this, you always argued that[…]

World War II Day by Day

Not legally dubious at all. I suspect there's a[…]

No, this was definitely not true for the first th[…]