Ever seen anything like this? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By sploop!
I've been looking for a better quality copy, but it's hard to get hold of.. :hmm:
By missy
I thought the quality was good. Too good. I felt like I was in that car
By Kiroff
Must have been like 4 AM when the video was shot...
By nilof
Yeah. There's no way you'd get that little trafic in fucking paris. The drive from the Arc de Triomphe to the Place de la Concorde woul have taken an hour with normal traffic. :D
By Muck
I think it's a hoax. When he approaches the Arc de Triomphe he would be flat out according to the audio, but watch how fast the trees go past, and then he starts to break from flat out about 100 yards before he hits the Arc.

Ghostrider has done some interesting vids, and this is quite scary.
By Potemkin
Ghostrider has done some interesting vids, and this is quite scary.

:eek:

His name is well-chosen. The first link looked fake to me - there's nothing fake about the Ghostrider clip. :eek:
By QatzelOk
The first road looks like avenue Foch.

There's a painted bike lane there now.
By Dr House
the OP vid was awesome IMO.

What was the guy driving? Sounded like a Ferrari 355, but 1978 is a little before that car's time.
By sploop!
Monday 11/07/05

Important: The film described below is available on DVD at quite a reasonable price compared to the VHS dubs that have been going around for years. Also, be sure to see the updates at the bottom of this blog entry for the truth about the film.

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago.

Now, thanks to the miracle of the Internets, you can watch it in your browser.

Update: It's been posted to the MetaFilter front page and the original server where the video is hosted (not mine) has apparently taken it offline. Here's a torrent posted on the MetaFilter thread by Civil_Disobedient. You can also watch it at Castpost or get it from one of the mirrors put up by Something Awful users (1 2) or the Coral cache.

Update the Second: The MetaFilter thread raises the possibility that the car was not actually a Ferrari but Lelouch's own Mercedes (the audio from the Ferrari would have been overdubbed) and that Lelouch himself was the driver, but was only given a ticket, not arrested. Also there's the tantalizing tidbit that the only lookout was a confederate posted at the Louvre with a walkie-talkie -- which afterward turned out to be broken. One poster in the Something Awful thread claims Lelouch admitted to being the driver (years later) and although he was given a ticket, the mayor of Paris tore it up. Another poster claims it was actually shot on a motorcycle. What are the real facts? The urban legends surrounding the film are nearly as interesting as the film itself.

Update the Third: An interview with the film's DVD distributor Rich Symons seems to settle the issue of who the driver was once and for all: it was Lelouch. According to IMDB, Lelouch was driving his own Mercedes and the sound was dubbed later. Apparently the film is now being used as the music video for Snow Patrol's song, "Open Your Eyes."

more information...

Last time I saw this video was on Channel 4, about 15 years ago. I don't think it's a fake, although the comment above mentions that the sound has been dubbed, which may explain some of the apparent inconsistencies...
By Muck
If its a Ferrari 275 GTB, it has a top speed of about 160 mph, so if he is flat out approching the Arc at 160, and just changes down a gear as he gets to the right hand corner on a cobble road, there is no way he would make it.

Look at the car he passes at about 1:05. He should be doing about 100mph more than the car. Is he? It doesn't look like it to me. I think you could have got away with it in the cinema in 1978, but not now. I've no doubt hes going quite fast, but the sound dubbing may as well be from Lewis Hamiltons car as it just doesnt fit.

Slow day. He was doing a 70.9mph average between the Arc and Place de la Concorde. I'd do it faster in my Volvo. :|
By Abood
Haha, shit. It looked like the car's gonna fly anytime.
By Dave
I bought this DVD a year ago after seeing an ad for it in Car & Driver. Amazing stuff.
World War II Day by Day

Legally dubious, but politically necessary. Not […]

Moldova has signed a security and defense pact wi[…]

Waiting for Starmer

All Tories are fuck-ups, whether they’re Blue or […]

Whistleblowers allege widespread abuses at Israel[…]