Our car-based environments are making us sick - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Streetsblog NYC wrote:Our Car-Based Environments Are Making Us Sick
by Angie Schmitt

Behind some of America’s most pressing health problems — obesity, diabetes, depression — there’s an often ignored culprit: a built environment that is hostile to active lifestyles.

As the U.S. medical industry pours billions into treating epidemic diseases, it is merely addressing the symptoms of “deep-rooted structural issues” while neglecting the underlying causes, says Dr. Richard Jackson, chair of the School of Health at UCLA and former head of the National Center for Environmental Health at the Centers for Disease Control. Dr. Jackson — one of the leading voices on the role of the built environment in America’s public health crises — confronted car dependence this weekend at the annual meeting of the American Society of Landscape Architects.

The author goes on to quote a doctor who points to all the secondary illnesses that are a result of the obesity that comes with a car-addled suburban lifestyle.
By Jarlaxle
Then don't drive a car and walk everywhere. Live your own life and STOP TRYING TO RUN MINE.
By QatzelOk
Live your own life and STOP TRYING TO RUN MINE.

No one's trying to run your life.

If reading seems intrusive, don't read.

If you're happily obese, ignore this article entirely.
By Jarlaxle
No one's trying to run your life.

Are you a liar or do you not actually read your own posts?

If reading seems intrusive, don't read.

Is this something that only makes sense when baked?
By grassroots1
Jarlaxle, driving all the time is a reason many Americans don't get enough physical exercize. Our car-based transportation contributes to environmental problems. What is there to object to so strongly here?
By Jarlaxle
Mainly, Qatz's incessant and semi-coherent (at best) trolling.
By Jarlaxle
A little. My wife is a fitness fanatic.
By yiwahikanak
Jarlaxle wrote:Then don't drive a car and walk everywhere. Live your own life and STOP TRYING TO RUN MINE.

Actually, I'm more worried about emissions than people's fat asses.

Your car habit is worse than any amount of second hand smoke. There should be a class action lawsuit against everyone who maintains such a deadly lifestyle.

Justify it to yourself all you want, but your choice to help kill other human beings (and even put your own health at risk) is morally bankrupt in every way.
By Jarlaxle
Yet again (sixth time now, I think): my car is an ULEV. What comes out the tailpipe is often CLEANER trhan what goes in the air intake.
By yiwahikanak
Put it in your sig then. Or maybe, you know, shut up when it comes to these threads? Since they obviously don't concern you as much?

Prius: allowing people to hold on to their car-centered lifestyle, and somehow absolving them of having to deal with anything beyond emissions.
By QatzelOk
Jarlaxle is a car-bot.

His only contribution to this form is talking about how much he loves cars, driving, and his auto-centric lifestyle.

He owns seven Cadillacs and watches ZZ Top videos when he's not commuting.

It's his "theme," Yiwa.
By Jarlaxle
I am absolutely a car nut...avid hot rodder, own three cars, a truck, and a motorhome, and used to wrench for a living. I own one Cadillac and detest ZZ Top.

Do not own a Prius and wouldn't own one if you gave it to me...the ULEV is a Dodge Magnum R/T.
By yiwahikanak
Ah. So you have highly polluting hobbies.

How morally bankrupt.
By Pants-of-dog
Yet again (sixth time now, I think): my car is an ULEV. What comes out the tailpipe is often CLEANER trhan what goes in the air intake.

If your car is a ULEV, as you claim, then your car pollutes 50% less than the average car.

It is not cleaning the air as you claim, but instead is simply taking twice as long to create the same amount of pollution.
By Jarlaxle
I don't claim that, that's what the emission tag under the hood says: the car is a Tier II ULEV.

9 months until Hot Rod Power Tour 2011.
By yiwahikanak
Low emissions or not, it's undeniable that people who do not drive pollute less than you do.
By Oxymoron
I drive every where I go in my SUV, pollution smallution.
By QatzelOk
I drive every where I go in my SUV, pollution smallution.

You just roll down the window to pee?

Care: 73 Fairness: 77 Liberty: 83 In-group: 70 Pur[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]