Quiet machines (versus their noisy cousins) - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By QatzelOk
Bon Jovi blaring in the background, Jarlaxle climbed out of his tricked out Chevy Suburban and wrote:Most residential neighborhoods are much quieter than a major city

Yes, of course. Generally, most of the time, this is true.

But on Saturday and Sundays - when everyone is home - the din of lawn mowers, cars, and other noises is pretty constant.

Just on those off-times when you can relax in the burbs, your neighbors are building a shack with power tools, mowing their lawn, or playing their stereos outside, or a dog is barking.

Between 9 and 5, they are generally silent. But if you work, who cares. It's the off times that are important, and because the burbs force you to stay at home because there are no third spaces within easy walking distance, you end up finding noisy obsessions for your neighbors to listen to all day.
By Jarlaxle
Again: From my second-floor window, I cannot see another house, and except for wind in the trees (trees muffle sound MUCH better than buildings), it is silent. I have no neighbors.

Also: I have never owned a Suburban and do not listen to Bon Jovi. You are living proof that someone can post 46,000+ times and actually say NOTHING.
By Pants-of-dog
Jarlaxle wrote:and except for wind in the trees (trees muffle sound MUCH better than buildings), it is silent.

....except when you are riding your lawnmower, right?

By the way, trees do not muffle sound better than buildings. Sound attenutaion is directly related to the mass of the barrier. Buildings have more mass than trees. Therefore, buildings muffle sound better. Further evidence is available on the side of any highway that cuts through an urban area. You often see precast concrete walls on each side of the highway. These are there to limit noise from the highway. You could have trees there, but they are not as effective.
By QatzelOk
QUIET

LOUD
By Jarlaxle
Troll troll troll your boat...

Have you ever said ANYTHING in your 46,000+ posts, troll?
By Pants-of-dog
Some noisy machines are good.

The amount of people fed by the work of loud farm machinery is far higher than the amount of people fed by the work of a pair of oxen.

Also, ambulances and fire trucks are quite noisy with their sirens and all, but I think most people would agree that this is a good thing.
By QatzelOk
Pants of Dog wrote:The amount of people fed by the work of loud farm machinery is far higher than the amount of people fed by the work of a pair of oxen.

Yes, but let's not forget that organic farming is making a huge comeback, and would be much more organic (and quieter) if it got rid of most of its motorized machinery.

LOUD

QUIET
By Pants-of-dog
Yes, but let's not forget that organic farming is making a huge comeback, and would be much more organic (and quieter) if it got rid of most of its motorized machinery.

What does that have to do with the amount of people fed per work day?
By QatzelOk
What does that have to do with the amount of people fed per work day?

This thread is about loud versus noisy.

Machines can temporarily increase some forms of production (while reducing others), but in the end, the human race is worse off because of all the damage from these same machines.

This has emerged as a fundamental truth as the old productivity-via-machinery paradigm shatters before our electronic eyes.
By QatzelOk
Ever heard of a life cycle assessment?

It sounds like an excellent text.

But non-texts would lead to a quieter, more natural world.

Sure, the advocates of fascism (or wholism as I p[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Saw an article about this story earlier in the mo[…]

@Godstud " blowjobs" You are like […]

@Rich more veterans lose their lives in peace ti[…]