Paris may ban SUVs - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By SolarCross
#14994611
QatzelOk wrote:The perfect vehicle for a crumbling civilization.

This much is right yes. Though when we reach the mad max stage of socialism we will need to fit extra spikes.

Image
#14995371
In other news I just bought an SUV today and I am pretty happy about it. All I need now is for some whiny retards to come out and hate me for it to make my day complete.

User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14995511
SolarCross wrote:It is specifically a Suzuki Jimny that I acquired today. :)

Why don't you start an Acquisition Thread?

Maybe in Facebook, so all your friends can be jealous.

No one reading this thread is jealous, so the information is lost on the wrong demographic here.

(trying to be helpful)
By SolarCross
#14995561
QatzelOk wrote:Why don't you start an Acquisition Thread?

Maybe in Facebook, so all your friends can be jealous.

No one reading this thread is jealous, so the information is lost on the wrong demographic here.

(trying to be helpful)

I have no interest in facebook and I wasn't trying to make anyone jealous. You probably don't understand this being a bike zealot but the Suzuki Jimny isn't really brag material because it isn't crazy expensive, it isn't rare or cool. What it is, is really fun and for the owner an object of affection. Maybe you can understand what I am saying by contemplating the stereotypical old hippy speaking affectionately for his old VW beetle. The beetle isn't rare or expensive or high powered, but it is fun and well loved.

Why this is relevant to this thread is to offer counterpoint to the morosely bigoted position of the OP that SUVs are evil.

Image
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14995664
What's truly attractive about the advertisement you posted above, SolarCross, is the gorgeously untouched natural background.

It hasn't been destroyed by highways and suburban housing yet.

SUVs are primarily for highways and suburban housing. Silent, beautiful nature-scapes are ruined by the everyday use of nature-conquering toys like the one you plopped into this thread about Paris.

That picture is not of Les Buttes de Chaumont. Your opinion is not valid.
By SolarCross
#14995716
QatzelOk wrote:What's truly attractive about the advertisement you posted above, SolarCross, is the gorgeously untouched natural background.

It hasn't been destroyed by highways and suburban housing yet.

SUVs are primarily for highways and suburban housing. Silent, beautiful nature-scapes are ruined by the everyday use of nature-conquering toys like the one you plopped into this thread about Paris.

That picture is not of Les Buttes de Chaumont. Your opinion is not valid.

The true perversity of your miserable whining is that if one really abhors the paving over of the natural world then one should support vehicles which don't require that paving such as the SUV. It wasn't the SUV that turned Paris into a lifeless lake of tarmac it was the road cars.
#14995717
Actually, the transition from cobblestones to pavement in Paris occurred under Haussmann. He widened the streets, straightened them, and finally paved them. This was partly done to prevent rioters from pulling up the cobblestones and using them as weapons and as materials to barricade the streets.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14995833
Thanks for reminding everyone, SolarCross, that car advertising is everywhere.

From Hollywood movies, to pop music, to high school dances - car propaganda is like an infinite wallpaper that covers all the cracks in our declining industrial societies.

"Me in my car, I'm the safest of all, won't you open your door, in Cars...." - Gary Numan

"Who's gonna drive you home.... tonight" - the Cars

Even feminism is a car - Thelma and Louise.

This kind of brainwashing can encourage people to love what is killing them. Stockholm Syndrome guaranteed, or your billions of dollars in car propaganda refunded (in the form of hundreds of cars).
By SolarCross
#14995856
QatzelOk wrote:Thanks for reminding everyone, SolarCross, that car advertising is everywhere.

From Hollywood movies, to pop music, to high school dances - car propaganda is like an infinite wallpaper that covers all the cracks in our declining industrial societies.

"Me in my car, I'm the safest of all, won't you open your door, in Cars...." - Gary Numan

"Who's gonna drive you home.... tonight" - the Cars

Even feminism is a car - Thelma and Louise.

This kind of brainwashing can encourage people to love what is killing them. Stockholm Syndrome guaranteed, or your billions of dollars in car propaganda refunded (in the form of hundreds of cars).

Apparently Hollyweird "advertises" clothing, houses, roads, guns, dragons, knights in shining armour, drugs, police detectives, hippies, swimming pools and cowboys too. If it is in a movie it's advertising goshdarnit! Lucky for you Peewee Herman is there to fight the good fight by advertising bicycles.

Image
By SolarCross
#14995923
Pants-of-dog wrote:For getting around Paris, I think a good electric scooter with badass shocks would be the best.

That sounds nice, though at the moment since Paris is having another revolution an armoured car would be safer.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14995934
SolarCross wrote:That sounds nice, though at the moment since Paris is having another revolution an armoured car would be safer.

SUVs are very easily converted into armoured cars. But you need clear streets to be able to drive them at any speed.

Question the car industry has been asking for 100 years: "How can we clear all the people off the streets so that our cars can become the fastest way to get around? How can we destroy the community's most important area for socialization?

Answer: laws that make things like "jay-walking" illegal and punishable, and build anti-pedestrian infrastructure like highways and multi-lane arterials.

Laws (and new infra) brought us to car hell, and laws (and new infra) will slowly take us back to sanity and good health.
By SolarCross
#14995938
Pants-of-dog wrote:I am not afraid of protesters.

The scooter would be fine.

The govs are deploying the military now. Gendarmes are bad enough.

#14995945
SolarCross wrote:The govs are deploying the military now. Gendarmes are bad enough.



That’s nice.

My point was about how Parisian streets are often difficult to navigate in larger vehicles due to the narrowness and age of many Parisian streets, and the fact that most of the c8ty was built before cars were a thing.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7

If you don't like what I say Sivad? Ignore me. I[…]

Election 2020

Then you need to join the 20th Century before we […]

An ill wind blows someone good... The way this v[…]

There have been reports about people suddenly coll[…]