The g-force thrill of driving - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

When I was four years old, I can remember my little sister - who had just learned to talk -going for her first "speaking" ride in the car with my dad driving.

As we went over a huge bumb, she said "that made me tickle in a pee-pee place." We all laughed.

She was talking about g-force thrills.

And while we used to go to amusement parks once a year as a family, the daily source of g-force thrills was our family car. By going around corners and by accelarating, the suburban commuter is able to get his daily source of cheap thrills.

But is this an addiction? Let's ask the ScienceTM

Netherlands Minister of environment wrote:The car—and the motorbike—allow the individual to expose himself to exactly the level of danger he wants. It is not an overstatement to say that, at these times, drivers are experiencing a kind of narcotic effect, which can produce the same addictive response as more conventional drugs. There is sometimes a very fine line between ‘speeding’ and ‘speeding’! This addiction to speed among some drivers is excellently expressed in the term ‘speedaholics.'

And while their study indicts "speed," the narcotic effects of speed are only experienced during accelaration, decellaration, and turning corners. These are all g-force thrills.

G-force thrills WORK by changing your blood circulation - just like sex does!

Science Focus wrote:An upwards acceleration of about 5g is enough to overwhelm the ability of your heart to pump blood to your brain. This causes oxygen starvation and you will black out within a few seconds.

Downward, or negative, g-force is even worse. The blood pools in your head, your face swells up and your lower eyelids are forced over your eyes. This is called ‘redout’ because all you see is the light shining through your eyelids. At negative 3g, the blood can’t get back to your lungs to re-oxygenate, so you pass out.]Science Focus[/url]"]An upwards acceleration of about 5g is enough to overwhelm the ability of your heart to pump blood to your brain. This causes oxygen starvation and you will black out within a few seconds.

So blood flow to your brain is severely affected, with all the psychological thrills that come from brain oxygen manipulation. This is similar to the blood flow changes that occur during sex, or during extreme physical activity. Or during a brain aneurysm or stroke.

But in a car, you are sitting still doing no excercise.

Theory: One of the reasons that civilized people are addicted to cars is because civilization destroys natural sexuality, and the natural physical activities of natural life.

The sublimation of sexuality and physical activity...the car ... is then sold back to the slave as "progress." But all the slave knows is "that feeling" that he gets when tearing around corners.

No wonder stop signs and pedestrians are so hated by drivers.

Science wrote:When a car goes around a turn, it accelerates the whole time (this is why, when you make a turn in your own car, you feel a force pulling your body toward the outside of the car). The amount of acceleration is equal to the velocity of the car squared divided by the radius of the turn:

Let's run the numbers:

230 mph is 337 feet per second (f/s).
(337 f/s)2 / 750 feet = approximately 151 f/s2.
The acceleration due to gravity (1 G) is 32 f/s2.
151 / 32 = 4.74 Gs experienced by the drivers.
QatzelOk wrote:

G-force thrills WORK by changing your blood circulation - just like sex does!

So blood flow to your brain is severely affected, with all the psychological thrills that come from brain oxygen manipulation. This is similar to the blood flow changes that occur during sex, or during extreme physical activity. Or during a brain aneurysm or stroke.

But in a car, you are sitting still doing no excercise.

Theory: One of the reasons that civilized people are addicted to cars is because civilization destroys natural sexuality, and the natural physical activities of natural life.

The sublimation of sexuality and physical activity...the car ... is then sold back to the slave as "progress." But all the slave knows is "that feeling" that he gets when tearing around corners.

No wonder stop signs and pedestrians are so hated by drivers.

Not quite.

It replaces exercise. We were made to move. We have a secondary circulatory system, but it's passive. It only works when you move.

Civilisation has us sitting around too much. For most of my life I have hiked, backpacked, cycled, or jogged. I am thrilled to see cities (mostly European) taking cycling seriously. It helps with personal health, climate change, traffic congestion, pollution, safety (done properly) and the liveability of cities. And it's not expensive to implement. That's a win/win/win/win/win/win.

But I do like some hot cars. That pic of Jezzer was him driving an Ariel Atom. I think it weighs about a thousand pounds, but can be bought with 200 to 400 hp engines. It is lightning quick.
I've driven an Ariel Atom and it is quite amazing.

I also race in the track about every month.

G-force thrill is pretty good. You should try it.
late wrote:Civilisation has us sitting around too much.

Many people work at jobs that destroy their bodies.

Others work at jobs that destroy the mind. Or both the mind and body.

Capitalism needs us to destroy our bodies, so it offered us a "daily thrill ride" in order to get more money from people who are trained to blame themselves for being out of shape, bored, or in need of pharmaceutical products.

I blame myself. So I must buy the solution myself.

And the super-expensive solution to having a bored body... is to buy a car and fly around in it every morning and evening. For some reason, this will make your sedentary and bored body... FEEL better.

For most of my life I have hiked, backpacked, cycled, or jogged. I am thrilled to see cities (mostly European) taking cycling seriously. It helps with personal health, climate change, traffic congestion, pollution, safety (done properly) and the liveability of cities. And it's not expensive to implement. That's a win/win/win/win/win/win.

Good for you. But that doesn't help the millions of morbidly obese suburbanites.

Most people who live in car-addicted areas... have NO choices. They are forced to drive and to get fat, and have only g-force thrills to mask their pain and make them feel like they are doing something "fun."

noemon wrote:G-force thrill is pretty good. You should try it.

I used to go to the Amusement Park almost every year when I was a non-athletic kid with major issues. Roller Coasters take you away from your problems ... for a few minutes. Like drugs.

But g-force thrills are not a drug I want to get addicted to.
And ever since I became a cyclist commuter, the thrills come naturally. No need for roller coasters and the damage they may do.
Last edited by QatzelOk on 19 Feb 2022 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
QatzelOk wrote:I used to go to the Amusement Park almost every year when I was a non-athletic kid with major issues. But g-force thrills are not a drug I want to get addicted to. And since I became a cyclist commuter, the thrills come naturally.

A weak will is not an excuse to deny yourself fun.
G-force thrill is a primal pleasure @QatzelOk.

When I would drive to the office, I loved rainy day's. There is this turn to get onto the road that leads to my office. When it's wet, I'd take it hard to slide across a lane or two of traffic. :)

Loves me my VW GTI.

All of that said, I'll probably get a modest electric car after the GTI lol. I've had my fun.

I also don't mind when driverless cars come to take my keys away. I'm basically going to be drunk all the time when that happens.
Rancid wrote:G-force thrill is a primal pleasure @QatzelOk.

When I would drive to the office, I loved rainy day's. There is this turn to get onto the road that leads to my office. When it's wet, I'd take it hard to slide across a lane or two of traffic. :)

Loves me my VW GTI.

All of that said, I'll probably get a modest electric car after the GTI lol. I've had my fun.

I also don't mind when driverless cars come to take my keys away. I'm basically going to be drunk all the time when that happens.

I'm going to go for a Tesla Model 3(long range) any time now. It's a brilliant car that is good value for money. I've tested a couple of my friend's Teslas and they are absolutely fantastic.

I'll still keep the M3 though for track days and g-force thrills. I have upgraded the suspension with Tractive coilovers. Highly recommend them and they make stuff for the Golf also. They are a small private Dutch company that makes suspension systems often by hand and have been making Porsche's racing suspension for certain competitions. It transforms the car because you get the ultra-grip racing feel and steering surgical accuracy but without compromising on comfort but instead enhancing the comfortability as well.

We drove from Cambridge to Greece with the family and kids on the stock suspension, got it replaced in Greece and then drove back on the Tractive one and everyone in the car was so much happier in terms of comfort. BMW stock suspension is bloody awful and extremely cheap, all BMW's are wearing Sachs suspension which is the Macdonalds equivalent of suspension systems.

If you google 'Tractive' and 'Porsche' or 'BMW' you will find a lot of details about it. Porsche enthusiasts swear by it and in the UK it has become almost systemic for anyone tracking their Porsche to be wearing Tractive coilovers.

However nothing like an old Citroen Xantia ;)

I learned how to drive in my dad's Xantia and was also the one to choose the car when I was 12-13 y.o and a car enthusiast sucking on all the magazines. Best car I have ever driven and I've driven a lot of them. It was like magic.
noemon wrote:
I'm going to go for a Tesla Model 3(long range) any time now. It's a brilliant car that is good value for money. I've tested a couple of my friend's Teslas and they are absolutely fantastic.

I'll still keep the M3 though for track days and g-force thrills. I have upgraded the suspension with Tractive coilovers. Highly recommend them and they make stuff for the Golf also. They are a small private Dutch company that makes suspension systems often by hand and have been making Porsche's racing suspension for certain competitions. It transforms the car because you get the ultra-grip racing feel and steering surgical accuracy but without compromising on comfort but instead enhancing the comfortability as well.

We drove from Cambridge to Greece with the family and kids on the stock suspension, got it replaced in Greece and then drove back on the Tractive one and everyone in the car was so much happier in terms of comfort. BMW stock suspension is bloody awful and extremely cheap, all BMW's are wearing Sachs suspension which is the Macdonalds equivalent of suspension systems.

If you google 'Tractive' and 'Porsche' or 'BMW' you will find a lot of details about it. Porsche enthusiasts swear by it and in the UK it has become almost systemic for anyone tracking their Porsche to be wearing Tractive coilovers.

However nothing like an old Citroen Xantia ;)

I learned how to drive in my dad's Xantia and was also the one to choose the car when I was 12-13 y.o and a car enthusiast sucking on all the magazines. Best car I have ever driven and I've driven a lot of them. It was like magic.

Keeping the GTI as a toy is on the table for me. I will decide when I get to that point. What's working against that is that now I work from home mostly and I'm generally the type of person that likes to minimize how much stuff I own. Still, something I'm thinking about.

I've done a few mods on my GTI. It started off as an excuse to work on the car. I just enjoy working on cars, maybe it's because i have fond memories of helping my dad out with cars.

My current list:
- "dog bone insert". It basically stiffens the coupling between the transmission and the frame. The effect is that shifting just feels tighter/better.
- A stiffer rear sway bar (turning feels tighter now)
- Installed a turbo muffler delete. Basically it makes it easier to hear the turbo spool sound, as well as diverter valve psssst sounds. It's not super loud, but louder than stock. I fucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the sound of turbo spool. At one point I was considering going full "bro" and just getting a blow off valve so all my neighbors can hear me a block away. :lol:
- Lighter wheels. Actually noticed an improvement in MPG.

If I decide to keep it as a toy, then I'm going to put in a heavier clutch and get a tuning that adds like 100 houses to it. Would also need to switch to summer tires and a limited slip diff to see if it can help put the power down.

Now that we are talking about this, I want to keep it. :) Circuit of the Americas (F1 track in Austin) opens up for track days very often. Maybe I should look at doing that some time. I know a few people that race often.
Rancid wrote:Keeping the GTI as a toy is on the table for me. I will decide when I get to that point. What's working against that is that now I work from home mostly and I'm generally the type of person that likes to minimize how much stuff I own. Still, something I'm thinking about.

I'm like that also but I also like to keep some toys, especially if selling them means taking a loss from when I bought them. I like working on the car as well and only work on my good ones, I hardly touch the crappy ones. I've done a few mods to it aside from the suspension upgrade, cat delete, stage 2 & crankhub. I take it to Silverstone, Snetterton, Brands Hatch, Goodwood and Bedford Autodrome.

Silverstone is awesome, 17 metres wide and carpet like.

Have you watched this vid?

Poor Sabine was lost to cancer last year.

God bless her and happy paradise

noemon wrote:
I'm like that also but I also like to keep some toys, especially if selling them means taking a loss from when I bought them. I like working on the car as well and only work on my good ones, I hardly touch the crappy ones. I've done a few mods to it aside from the suspension upgrade, cat delete, stage 2 & crankhub. I take it to Silverstone, Snetterton, Brands Hatch, Goodwood and Bedford Autodrome.

Silverstone is awesome, 17 metres wide and carpet like.

Have you watched this vid?

Poor Sabine was lost to cancer last year.

I stopped watching top gear after they kicked out Clarkson and company. I'm not even sure if the newer top gear is available streaming for me. I should make an effort to check.
I've not seen the first one. Thanks for sharing. Do they still refer to Sabine as the queen of the Nurbergring?
Rancid wrote:I've done a few mods on my GTI. It started off as an excuse to work on the car. I just enjoy working on cars, maybe it's because i have fond memories of helping my dad out with cars.

In suburbia, there's really not much to do. So people find "hobbies" that keep themselves busy. Gardening, repairing cars, collecting stamps, knitting, but mostly hours and hours of TV.

Of course, people are forced to drive as well when distances are this great. That was why the suburbs were designed the way they were - to force people to consume cars and gasoline.

And of course, being far from everything in your bungalow - surrounded by nothing but more ugly bungalows - you both need and want to get out of there fast.

But the question in this thread is: Do the g-force thrills of daily commuting hook the consumer into this consumption?

Do the blood-rushes of fast turns and rapid accelaration replace the natural, healthy level of physical activity that non-car-users generally experienced?

Are these g-forces the nicotine* of the car industry?

(*the addictive property that keeps normal people hooked)

All the love-letters to cars we seen in this thread could have been written about cigarettes a generation ago. Likewise, opium in its day, and beating your slaves in another. All of these became "addictive" because they replaced something healthy that we did before the tech took over our lives and our cities and towns.
QatzelOk wrote:In suburbia, there's really not much to do. So people find "hobbies" that keep themselves busy. Gardening, repairing cars, collecting stamps, knitting, but mostly hours and hours of TV.

I didn't grow up in the suburbs. Knowing how to fix shit be it a car, a hole in a wall, a hole in clothes are basic life skills.

Anyway, helping my dad with cars wasn't a hobby, it was a necessity.
Fasces wrote:Is Qatz declaring war on hobbies now? What do you call meaningless discussions online?

For most of the world's people, cars aren't a hobby.
They are the only way to leave your house and go to work, or to a mall.

So this thread actually involves the average commuter - we're talking hundreds of millions of people.

And I am saying that one of the reason that we morbidly consume oil, metals, our cities (with asphalt) and tons of money we don't really have as a society... is because we're addicted. Like heroine addicts.

And what part of this addiction do G-force thrills play in the addiction of the average automobile commuter?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]