Bike helmets as propaganda - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Kapanda
Accidents can be caused by, aswell as only including cyclists.

A cycle helmet decreases the risk of brain damage by 40% (it might be a bit more).

Yes, but apparently drivers don't get as close to cyclists without helmets as they do to cyclists with helmets. Can't remember where exactly I've read it, but I read it somewhere.

I don't wear a helmet. It's a nuisance (never needed it in my life, even though I've been in 3 accidents, always fall on my shoulder), and regardless of what you may think of me, they don't go with the clothes I wear :D
By Thunderhawk
When it comes to car induced head injuries to a cyclist, having a helmet wont be enough.

Secondary accidents that cause head damage (car impacts bike, you fall and then you hit your head on the ground) could happen just as likely on a barren street with to much water (or sand >: ) out, or on a bike trail.

For one's own well being a helmet should be considered, but it isnt and shouldnt be necessary.
By Unperson-S
You could say that for any piece of safety equipment, but safety equipment is there incase it can do any good.
By Thunderhawk
You could say that for any piece of safety equipment, but safety equipment is there incase it can do any good.

Im happy its available - but it should not be mandatory.
By QatzelOk
About bike helmets, Thunderhawk wrote:Im happy its available - but it should not be mandatory.

Whenever I see a bike courrier in major traffic with OR without a helmet, I can't help thinking: "Why do we allow congested traffic in the inner city make all other transportation options impossible, except for people with a death wish?"

Why do we allow car use to make less environmentally suicidal transportation dangerous?

Maybe drivers should have to wear explosives around their waists that explode in even the slightest collision.
By Unperson-S
I completely agree that cars should be banned from the inner cities, aside from say lorries, for deliveries, buses and the emergency services.

When I cycled in London, it was really scary, however, as I was going round a roundabout this idiot and his freinds were cycling, and cut me up, and I couldnt stop or go anywhere else (traffic on my right and behind me, and a massive 2 foot curb to my left) I was forced to brake as best I could and hope I would avoid him, however I didnt and went into the side of him and flew over his back wheel. Darn Londoner's dont even say sorry, he just said 'you alright?' and rode off. I was fine, only a few grazes but what pissed me off more than him not stopping at a roundabout, when I was only a few metres away from him, he didnt even say sorry!

Fecker!
By Kapanda
Why do we allow car use to make less environmentally suicidal transportation dangerous?

You ever noticed how convenient a car is??
By Unperson-S
Kapanda, seens as your location is London, ever noticed how crowded London's roads are? Even after congestion charges.
By QatzelOk
You ever noticed how convenient a car is??

It's like watching TV while you're travelling.

Only "Cement and billboards Survivor" is all that's ever on.

The average auto owner spends a quarter of his life paying for, parking, driving, or servicing his car.

Now that's inconvenience.

Plus there's all the death...
By Grun tu Molani
I ride a motorbike and the principle is about the same - and yes, car drivers are the biggest threat to bikers. However, I knew before I ever went into the road that it might be dangerous, bad shit might happen, and some idiot mother in a 4x4 might kill me on the school run. However, the fact that in the course of all this commuting some people are hurt/killed doesn't necessarily make those left alive 'murderers'. I accept that driving is only seen as normal because its a social construct, and that people do it intentionally (obviously); a murder, however, is an intentional killing.

I would, however, support removing cars from cities (or at least taking the London) and anyone who knew how dangerous Hope Street in Glasgow was to their health would probably agree (and this from a smoker)

:roll: Since @wat0n has no disagreement with a[…]

Note that this bottleneck obviously affects impo[…]

Yes, thise DNA test sites that tell you that you a[…]

Women have in professional Basketball 5-6 times m[…]