Favourite car by category - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Dr House
Sport Compact (Stock) - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Sport Compact (as a platform for modification) - Nissan Skyline R32

Muscle Car - Chevy Camaro SS convertible

Exotic - Ferrari F50, Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet (I just love the sound the flat-six makes.

SUV - Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Luxury Car - Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG, Maybach 62

Family Car - Mazdaspeed 6, Cadillac CTS-V

Bike - Susuki GSX-R1000 (the Hayabusa's little sister, so to speak)

Weird Car/Prototype - Tesla Roadster
Sport Compact (Stock) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI

Sport Compact (as a platform for modification) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI

Muscle Car - 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS 454

Exotic - Lamborghini Murcielago

SUV - Lincoln Navigator

Luxury Car - Aston Martin Vanquish

Family Car - Lincoln Town Car

Bike - Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Weird Car/Prototype - Le Mans Prototype :D
By Dr House
You have good taste Lensky. :up:

Can you provide a pic for the Le Mans prototype?
By Oxymoron
Sport Compact (Stock) - Eclipse

Muscle Car - Mustang Cobra

Exotic - Volga

SUV - T98

Luxury Car - BMW 7 series

Family Car - Nissam Maxima

Bike - Harley
By Adrien
Sport Compact (Stock) - 2008 Subaru WRX STI

Sport Compact (as a platform for modification) - None. Stock is the only acceptable form.

:borg:

Muscle Car - Ford Mustang / Shelby Mustang GT500KR

Exotic, bearing in mind I'm European - 1977 Ford Thunderbird, 1971-1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1

SUV - Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Luxury Car - Lancia Thesis, Jaguar XJR

Family Car - Ford Mondeo ST220. *drools*
By Dr House
None. Stock is the only acceptable form. :borg:

Blasphemy! Sport Compacts are nothing if not platforms for modification. >:
By Adrien
Philistine.

If it's not factory tuned, then it's not worth my time. I like my things original, not tweaked by Witwicky Sparkplug a sunday afternoon between two cans of beer. I want beautiful craftsmanship, worthy of swiss horlogery.

Basically, if it's not the way it was meant to be, it loses all its value.

[/snobism.]

;)
By Dr House
not tweaked by Witwicky Sparkplug a sunday afternoon between two cans of beer.

(Who'd have thought a debate would erupt in the car subforum?)

You're clearly ignorant of Japanese tuner culture. We're not hicks, brother. We use high tech, we know what we're doing, and we do balanced tuning, to bring out the best in the car. OEM factory settings are meant for the average commuter and to meet environmental standards. They are by general rule very far from optimal. Case in point, you can uncork over a hundred extra horsepower from an Evo (which already makes 135 HP/liter factory) just by re-tuning the fuel map. No additional forced induction needed, no wider vents, no extra fuel. Just more efficient delivery than the factory settings.

As for the Nissan Skyline R32, it's not significantly better than the Evo stock but it's a way better platform for modification because 1) it's 200 pounds lighter, 2) it has an engine that can withstand over a thousand lb-ft of torque, and 3) it has an ATTESA all-wheel-drive and 15.2-inch brakes have been designed for it.
By Adrien
You're clearly ignorant of Japanese tuner culture.

I'm not ignorant of it, I'm in complete and open disagreement with it.

First and incidentally, the fact is that for every professional aftermarket tuner workshop that exists, a trillion pseudo-hoons armed with cardboard, neons and fluorescent paints bought at Canadian Tire arrive and pollute my environment with their monstruosities, desecrating cars that had done nothing to deserve it, and most of time making life more dangerous because of dodgy modifications.

Still, even if we are only to consider the people who know what they are doing, I have a diametrically opposed philosophy when it comes to cars. I like them original, I like them the way the engineers have carefully crafted them to be. It's my collector's mind speaking here.

If a car is to be special, more special than another, extra-ordinary, tricked and tweaked, it will be when it rolls off the assembly lines. If I want a performance Merc, I'll wait for AMG to carefully and passionately design one. I like tuned cars, but only factory tuned. It's really a philosophical choice here.

Car engineers are the Gods of the industry. If something is not originally in a certain way, it's that it wasn't meant to be anyway.
By Dr House
*sigh* I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then.
By Adrien
I'll think of you whenever it is I'll get to smoke a ricer with a proper jewel of a car.

;)
By Dr House
Riceboys are posers that slap disk brake stickers on their drum rear brakes. You meet a real car geek you're gonna eat the pavement. Simple as that.
By Adrien
:eh:

I don't think so.

*said in a John Wayne kinda way.*

Seriously and without wanting to make it "hollier than thou" discussion, German cars remain state of the art. And in addition to having the pezzaz it akes to tear up the tarmac (AMG and Motorsport eh), they have a soul. Unlike bread-and-butter Japanese cars, even when you wander to the category of the Skyline GT-R and stuff.
By Dr House
No AMG is gonna beat an R-32 skyline with 862 bhp from a stoplight. And it's sure as hell not gonna beat a 240sx that pulls 1g on the skidpad in the twisties.

That said, I do admire German design. I just happen to think it's generally overpriced.
By Adrien
Oh please, quarter-miles and stoplight starts are good for movies coming from Hollywood and its Tokyo geeky dependancies and people who play Need for Speed a bit too much!

Real racing is done around a track, where pilots have to negociate curves, it's the whole beauty of the thing, and there your tarted up ricer with a gazillion horses on steroids under the hood won't even pass the first corner like an AMG, Mx or a Sx will. Real racing, mate, real racing.

That said, I do admire German design. I just happen to think it's generally overpriced.

It's just the price of exclusivity and refinement. It's part of the dream.
By Dr House
Real racing is done around a track, where pilots have to negociate curves, it's the whole beauty of the thing, and there your tarted up ricer with a gazillion horses on steroids under the hood won't even pass the first corner like an AMG, Mx or a Sx will. Real racing, mate, real racing.

Did you not hear me mention twisties? AMG's weigh 2 tons. SCC's project Silvia will wipe the floor with any and all Mercedes, Beemers and Porsches that dare challenge it on anything other than a straight road.
By Adrien
Come on. Beyond performance there is efficiency.

And of that the factory tweaked supercars have a lot to give, for beyond hard facts of weight and horsepower, the fine tuning of the chassis, the engine's map, the concert of electronic systems in the engine's and chassis's management, all that will be much better taken care of in a serious place like Stuttgart or Munich than in any Tokyoite workshop, however fancy and famed.

Also, tweaking cars the way you like it completely misses the point of the essence the beautiful object of craftsmanship that is a car, a fortiori a top-of-the-line, for I just can't see the point of wasting so much effort turning a proper car into a rocket-powered tin can without dashboard, passenger seats, glass windows, trim, ala Monster Garage.

AMGs, XKRs, etc. are high speed luxurious and exclusives rockets. They require absolutely *no sacrifice*, no stress. You're handed the keys of one of the most beautiful pieces of arts in the world, and that's it. That's the passion that comes from your guts, not from a cold engineer's mind who only thinks practicality and figures.

I guess the rare capacity to use the latter without sacrificing the former is what differenciates an engineer working for a brand from an engineer working in the aftermarket sector.
By Dr House
I just can't see the point of wasting so much effort turning a proper car into a rocket-powered tin can without dashboard, passenger seats, glass windows, trim, ala Monster Garage.

Me either, actually. I believe in subtle enhancements to bring sport compacts up to and a little past the level of their overpriced European cousins. Create a supercar of my own making and my own style for half the price. I don't like cheap racing machines.

You're stereotyping, Adrien, try again.

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]

https://twitter.com/huwaidaarraf/status/1773389663[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

What wat0n is trying to distract from: https://tw[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]