Favourite car by category - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Adrien
You're stereotyping, Adrien, try again.

I'm not stereotyping. It's how far you'll have to go if you want to blast a German (I'm focusing on that because it's the key example) sportscar, for these people have the knowledge, means, experience, environment to take the most and best out of what is available today in terms of motoring technology. You may manage to catch up a little, but bulking up a normal engine will do little more when the competition is literally "state-of-the-art".

They're always at the edge of progress in that department. You can only catch up. Or else you enter the dragster department, but again you'll have to do sacrifices the real thing doesn't require.

I believe in subtle enhancements to bring sport compacts up to and a little past the level of their overpriced European cousins. Create a supercar of my own making and my own style for half the price. I don't like cheap racing machines.

Eh, not the same philosophy.

Besides the fact that to me they are not overpriced for they will remain way ahead on every level and make you pay for a much higher level of excellence, you may say that you don't like cheap racing machines but it's precisely what you describe. You want to tart up lower units to match the bigger ones. It's bargain hooning, like there's bargain shopping.

I ain't scorning that even if looks like it maybe, I'm just highlighting that it matches in the broader picture some different philosophies on life. The little voice in my head wants to "reach higher" (incidentally Lincoln's motto), by going for the win the first time. It's achieving something, entering a world of excellence, where beauty does not take into account the price this or that solution will cost.

And I'm not necessarily thinking that on a linear scale that goes from the Twingo to the R8. It works within every category of car.

I don't want to have to climb the ladder in order to try and resemble the real thing, by making economies that will remind me I fell short of the dream.

There we're way beyond the car talk, but yeah, cars are more than a thrill or speedy steel boxes to me..
By Dr House
You want to tart up lower units to match the bigger ones.

It's not just about something that's cheap. It's about something that's mine. My design, my taste, my rules. Not some cookie cutter of which a hundred snobs in Laguna Beach will have an exact copy.

So like you said, it's a different philosophy.
By Adrien
Not some cookie cutter of which a hundred snobs in Laguna Beach will have an exact copy.

Some topcars and supercars are cookie-cutter and superficial fashion items I agree. But beyond these (Bentley Continental GTC, Porsche 911, Mercedes SL, Maserati GranTurismo and stuff), that celebrities, old rich ladies, or young rich widows will drive, by the ocean from their villas to the designer clothes shop, you have all the drivers' cars.

You sure won't see a hundred snobs in Laguna Beach with a C63 AMG, a M3 or an M5, a S4 or an S8. You will see even less of them with a WRX STI, an Evo, or a R32. Even completely among the mortals, exclusive version represent fractions of sales: I have only seen a couple of Mondeos ST220, there will be as many XR5s, as many Mazdaspeed 6 or 3, etc.

Anyway, I think we suffer from irreconciable (is that even a word?) disagreements. ;)
By Notorious B.i.G.
Sport Compact (Stock) - Golf R32

Sport Compact (as a platform for modification) - same views as Adrien

Muscle Car - Ford Falcon FPV BF GTP Cobra

Exotic - Audi S4 or RS6

SUV - Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Luxury Car - S65 AMG

Family Car - Ford Falcon BF Fairmont Ghia

Weird Car/Prototype - Holden Efijy
By ChronicLearner
One Word: Zonda

By Leo2
I'm with Adrien on this one. If you want efficiency and speed (point to point, not that childish standing 1/4 stuff) allied to subtlety of engineering and the aesthetic appeal of beautiful fit, finish, and materials, you have to spend a lot of money on an European (usually German) car. Or a little less money on an used good quality German car.

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame pointed out the real reason for this when he compared the old Ferrari 575 with the current hottest Corvette. The Ferrari and the Corvette were closely matched around the Top Gear test track. But as Clarkson pointed out, you could drive the Ferrari to the corner shop, or in heavy London traffic, or when you were feeling tired and not well, and feel cosseted by the beautiful interior and furnishings, and the refinement of its performance under any conditions. The Corvette was cheap, rough, and plasticky by comparison, and the same may be said of any of the Ricers.

A good European car, such as the BMW M5, will be equally comfortable (and fast) over indifferent, winding mountain roads as it is on the motorways. The suspension, brakes, engine and aerodynamics will combine to render a driving experience that people who have only driven lesser cars cannot imagine. It won't rattle, squeak, or vibrate, and every switch will feel like it has been built to operate satisfactorily for a hundred years.

The Americans and Japanese have yet to learn how to make real motor cars. Every designer and engineer in Detroit or Tokyo should be made to serve an apprenticeship in Munich or Stuttgart. :p
By Thunderhawk
^ makes me think of Delorean, and how his vision (which was not about aesthetics per se) was cosntantly suppressed because it was not what the corporate bigboy (idiots) wanted.
By Xalloro23
Sport Compact (Stock) - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Sport Compact (as a platform for modification) - Nissan Skyline R32

Muscle Car - Chevy Camaro SS convertible

Exotic - Ferrari F50, Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet (I just love the sound the flat-six makes.

SUV - Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Luxury Car - Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG, Maybach 62

Family Car - Mazdaspeed 6, Cadillac CTS-V

Bike - Suzuki GSX-R1000 (the Hayabusa's little sister, so to speak)

Weird Car/Prototype - Tesla Roadster

I really couldn't have said it bettter myself. Although, for family car I prefer my Toyota Camry. Who cares about family car though? ;)
By franfran
I left three categories out, because I couldn't think of any compact sports cars and I'm not into bikes, so here goes:

Muscle Car - Leyland Force 7V

Exotic - Maserati Quattroporte.

SUV - none of them

Luxury Car - Jaguar XFR

Family Car - Alfa Romeo 159

Weird Car/Prototype - Holden Efijy
By ccdan
Sport Compact (Stock) - Audi S3

Sport Compact (as a platform for modification) - none

Muscle Car - Chevrolet Camaro (the new generation)

Supersport/Exotic - Mercedes SLR 722, Mercedes CLK-DTM

SUV - Audi Q7 V12 TDI

Luxury Car - Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes S600

Family Car - Audi A4, VW Passat CC

Weird Car/Prototype - Audi A7 Sportback
By Doomhammer
Family Car - Nissam Maxima

:D My car.

Sport Compact (Stock) - BMW M3, Audi S4, Alpha Romeo C6 Competitzione

Sport Compact (as a platform for modification) - Subaru Imprezza

Muscle Car - Ford Mustang GT

Supersport/Exotic - Pagani Zonda

SUV - I don't like SUVs nor know much about them but probably a Land Rover or something.

Luxury Car - Rolls Royce Cornische, Mercedes 600 Grosser

Family Car - BMW M3 (I like that car), Audi A8, Nissan GTR Skyline (it's still a 4 door car lol)

Weird Car/Prototype - Opel Siderium
By War Angel
Family Car - BMW M3 (I like that car), Audi A8, Nissan GTR Skyline (it's still a 4 door car lol)

The BMW M3 is a sports car , the Audi A8 is a luxury car, and the Nissan GTR Skyline is also a sports car.
By Dr House
Doomhammer wrote:Nissan GTR Skyline (it's still a 4 door car lol)

:eh: Skylines aren't 4-door.

War Angel wrote:The BMW M3 is a sports car , the Audi A8 is a luxury car, and the Nissan GTR Skyline is also a sports car.

True on all counts, but even though the Skyline is more of a Gran Turismo being midsize and all, most people still count it as a sport compact. Much the same as with the Supra.
By QatzelOk
Sport Compact - a small folding bike

Muscle Car - the legs of a touring bike afficianado

Supersport/Exotic - Superlight racing bikes with distressed alloy frames

SUV - a mountain bike with a parcel rack on the back

Luxury Car - any bike can be luxury if you wear formal clothing

Family Car - Trail-a-bikes attached to basic hybrid bikes

trail-a-bike
By Adrien
Let's update it for me with what's on sale or coming this year in North America:

Compact - 2010 Subaru WRX STI ; 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart

Midsize - 2011 Buick Regal

Full-size - 2010 Lincoln MKS 3.5 EcoBoost

Wagon - 2010 Lincoln MKT 3.5 EcoBoost ; 2011 Acura 2.4 TSX Sportwagon

Muscle Car - 2010 Mustang GT
By Doomhammer
I would like to amend my choice for the "Supersport/Exotic" category from "Pagani Zonda" to "Pagani Cinque".

By Jarlaxle
Sport sedan: Dodge Charger SRT8/Chrysler 300C SRT8. Rocketship performance...still seats 5, huge trunk. Getting a little dated (it's basically a 2005 design), but still holds its own.

Tuner car: STi. The EVO (I forget what number they're up to now) is bloated, porky, rides like an oxcart, and carries a heart-stopping price.

Supercar: Corvette ZR1. Absolutely otherworldly, from the racecar-like popping getting off the gas at high RPM's to the bellowing roar at 6500RPM to the somewhat unforgiving chassis at high speeds. It's the closest thing to a racecar with licence plates you can buy. It runs with cars costing twice as much. (Geez, did I just call a $105,000 car a bargain?!) And yet, it's livable enough to drive to work every day, or take on a 4000+ mile road trip loaded with luggage.

Musclecar: Now, Camaro SS. Next year, the new-for-2011 400+HP 5.0 litre Mustang GT.

Grand Touring car: Challenger R/T. Big, comfortable...and still packs a 390HP punch. (The louder, stiffer-riding SRT8 isn't as road-trip friendly.)

Bizarre-sounding idea that actually works: Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. Somehow, these things work...in fact, the Cayenne Turbo is (HERESY!) quicker around the 'Ring than a 911.
By Jarlaxle
As for the German car guys here, what about an E-class Benz built by RENN-Tech. It was pretty much a blank-check car, with a heavily-modified 6 litre V12 pushing 650HP, 6-piston Brembos, all sorts of suspension work.,..about a $250,000 car, and that was ~10 years ago. They entered it in Car and Driver's One Lap of America, which has been called "a season of racing in a week", which is pretty much what it is: 7 tracks & 1500+ street miles in 7 days. Needless to say, this is hard on the equipment...the car didn't have a problem, finishing 5th overall & winning its class (Luxury Sedan).

But wait...finishing 4th overall & winning ITS class (Vintage American) was a lowly 1969 Plymouth Valiant 100. A former New Jersey Bell foreman's car, it was the low-end 2-door sedan that originally didn't even have a radio. The car used stock Chrysler engineering: 1969-cast 340 block, early-70's W2 heads, mid-70's aluminium transmission case with stock late-60's internals, leaf springs & drum brakes in back, late-70's police car brake rotors, and early-80's van calipers with, get this, Mopar Value Line dicsount-priced pads, a mid-80's master cylinder (lighter, cheaper, easier to find on the road), police-car swaybars, an old fast-ratio manual steering box (Yes, the car has no power steering!) moving C-body (fullsize land barge) steering linkage, and early-80's-vintage Weld 15x7" wheels with only 225/50R15 tires. This car, known as The Green Brick, ran the entire thing without a hiccup. The only trick parts in the entire car were fibreglass front fenders & bumper, a custom welded (!) stroker crankshaft (a similar 1-piece forging is now available from Mopar Performance), and an old Mickey Thompsen axle centersection made of magnesium. It finally wore out a few years ago, the car now runs a $50 centersection, still stained with mud from a Vegas-area junkyard.

According to people there, the Germans were empphatically NOT amused at seeing the final point totals...wonder why?

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachment[…]

On the epidemic of truth inversion

Environmental factors and epigenetic expressions […]

Thread stinks of Nazi Bandera desperation, trying[…]