Advanced driver assistance - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

All major European car makers and car suppliers are developing assistance systems.
The story goes as far as the 60s when ABS "anti-block-system" was developed by Bosch and Daimler.
The next generation involve systems like lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, parking assistance...

The US Darpa is developing cars that can drive on their own...

Do you think the new gadgets are going to "sell like muffins" or are they just a sophisticated way to burn money?
By Suska
of course no one in America is asking for a significant rail network but its still a necessity we live without - MOAR LUXARY the cry went out, and everyone ignored the staples, there must be an economic term for it... buying sugar instead of bread...
By Thunderhawk
Wasnt the Ford Edsel full of technological improvements?

Hell, fuel efficient engines are OLD technology, but no one really wanted them until gas prices became very high.
Air bags had to be mandated.

Until these extra options are a necessity or are attractive in an entertainment or ease way (digital displays, ABS, radios/music, etc) they wont take off.

Automated parking is still poor quality, so it wont be an option scooped up until its more effective and cheap. Lane sensing strikes me as something that wont be picked up at all in places where civil driving is rare (Italy and Greece :p).
By Notorious B.i.G.
Wasnt the Ford Edsel full of technological improvements?

The Model T Ford was full of technological improvements. Many other car companies didn't take up some of the improvements until 20 odd years after the Model T first rolled off the production line.

I agree with you Thunderhawk. New car technology doesn't seem to take off unitl 20 years after it is first developed. Then it is put into cars when it is basically bullet proof.

Look at Turbo's. IIRC Saab put the first Turbo in a production car, and talk about turbo lag, you have to put your foot on the accelerator at the start of a corner just to get the boost comming out. Took a long time till turbos were good enough to be popular.

The other thing I think that is slowing up tech advances in cars is the fact that is that these technologies are taking away from driving. I love cars and driving, and i'm starting to get pissed off with parking sensors, and keyless starting. I know how to park a car, I like to turn the car on. The last thing I need is a car that can change lanes for me. If you need a car that drives for you, take a bus.

There is a difference between seeing the October […]

Not well. The point was that achieving "equ[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]