"World's cheapest car" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Strikeman
Just wanted to know what you guys think of the world's cheapest car.

The Tata Nano is a proposed city car first presented by India's Tata Motors at the 9th annual Auto Expo on January 10, 2008 at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi, India.

While currently undergoing final development, the Nano is projected to be a small, affordable, rear-engined, four-passenger car aimed primarily at the Indian market.

Newsweek identified the Nano as a part of a "new breed of 21st-century cars" that embody "a contrarian philosophy of smaller, lighter, cheaper" and portend a new era in inexpensive personal transportation — and potentially, "global gridlock". The Wall Street Journal confirms a global trend toward small cars, which includes the Nano.

The prefix "Nano" derives from the Greek root 'nanos', meaning dwarf — as with nanometre. "Nano" also means "small" in Gujarati, the native language of the Tata family, founders of the Tata Group.

Wikipedia wrote:Tata initially targeted the vehicle as "the least expensive production car in the world" — aiming for a starting price of 100,000 rupees or approximately $2300 US, despite rapidly rising material prices.

As of August, 2008 material costs have risen from 13% to 23% over the car’s development, and Tata now faces the choice of introducing the car with an artificially low introductory price, raising the price of the car, or foregoing profit on the car — the latter an unlikely proposition. While an increased price on the Nano will likely decrease demand.
Source

I hate the design but it feels like I'm the only one who does so, so I wanna know what PoFo thinks about the nano.
By Dr House
It'll mean millions of Indians will now have comfy and safe rides to work, and soon hundreds of millions of people in other developing countries will too.

Awesome.
By Strikeman
But I want you to get specific, Dr.

For example: what do you think of the design?
By Dr House
Not my type. Looks like a Prius more than anything else, but it works.

From other pictures I've seen the inside looks good, and according to the guy that ran the Wired article on that car, it's something that feels like you'd wanna drive it. Quite surprising for such a small, cheap car.
By Manuel
The end of the world is imminent. Greenhouse gasses will kill us all as cars become a staple, not a luxury.

And oil prices will skyrocket.

Fuck you Tata. You fucked over the world.

You're worse than satan.
By Dr House
Greenhouse gasses will kill us all

An unwarranted conclusion.

There's a school of thought that GW is actually beneficial for us, if we harness its power rather than try and stop it. Doing so will cost less than did the interstate highway system.
By Manuel
Fine.

Gas prices will go through the roof, raising the cost of food everywhere, driving us into global famine.

Fuck you Tata.
By QatzelOk
comfy and safe rides to work

I bet everyone will be wearing black plastic-framed glasses and drinking Tang as well as listening to Dean Martin sing about being drunk behind the wheel.

lol bazmati prices

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]